What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zola takes charge of west ham

hahaha 12 managers in their history but 5 in 7 years ...

Premier League - Zola confirmed as West Ham boss

Eurosport - Thu, 11 Sep 21:39:00 2008

West Ham unveiled Italian Gianfranco Zola as their new manager, the first time the club has been coached by a foreigner.
f57351311fa0e15289cf1fa5b69fa1f0.jpg

The Italian agreed a three-year contract to take charge at Upton Park as successor to Alan Curbishley.
While he is the 12th manager in West Ham's history, he is also the fifth in seven years.
Zola will start work on Monday, with caretaker boss Kevin Keen leading the team at West Brom on Saturday.
"What can I say? I am delighted to be here, it is a great honour for me," the former Chelsea, Parma and Napoli striker said. "I am here to improve the players and the team, individually and collectively. I want to give all my experience and my knowledge to help them become better players.
"I know I'm not the most experienced manager around, but I've got ideas, I've been in football for more than 20 years. I know what I'm talking about, so hopefully I can give something to this club.
"Whether it is enough or not we will see on the pitch. This is a great club, and I couldn't say no. It's a great opportunity and I am sure I can do good for this club."
Zola, who is viewed as a legend by Chelsea fans, added that his history with West Ham's rivals would be irrelevant.
"I had seven wonderful years with Chelsea, and it is something I will never forget," he admitted.
"But here I have the possibility of another experience with someone else, as a manager. I hope that the first year here will be as good as the last seven, and that is my target. I will do everything I can to make it work."
The 42-year-old then went on to deny suggestions that the West Ham job was a stepping-stone to the Chelsea manager's position.
"I want to think step by step," he responded. "This is a very important part of my life, and I will totally focus on what I am doing. What the future holds for me I cannot say, and the present is the most important. The club has faith in me and I want to repay them."
Chelsea number two Steve Clarke and Italy Under-21s coach Pierluigi Casiraghi have both been linked with the assistant manager's job at Upton Park, although Zola would not elaborate on the rumours and said that, for now, he would only bring in fitness coach Antonio Pinto.
He also spoke about Curbishley's acrimonious departure, and insisted that he had no problem working with fellow Italian Gianluca Nani, the club's technical director.
"I believe Curbishley has done a great job here, he is a manager I respect very much and I will try to carry on his job," Zola continued.
"When I spoke to the board, I said 'we are in the same boat, everbody has to work as a team', me, the board and Gianluca Nani. We will try to do things together and for the goodness of the club.
"My work is on the pitch. My first duty is to develop the players and develop the team. Then, I report to the board and the technical director. I am sure he will work with me for what is best for the club."
Zola also promised to play attacking, entertaining football, and joked that he proposed playing with 10 defenders but that the club wouldn't have it.
"My philosophy is to play offensive football if I can," he said.
"I've always done that because I trust it. We have to make it enjoyable, first of all for the players, and then for the club's fans. The idea is to play offensive football.
"It is a challenge, and I like challenges. And, as you probably noticed in the past, it's something that sparks me up."

Latest posts