What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zola to coach Socceroos?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
FORMER Italy and Chelsea star Gianfranco Zola wants to coach the Socceroos, and is willing to live in Australia to do it.
The 41-year-old former international, arguably one of the most creative players of his generation, has been co-coach of the Italian under 21s with Pierluigi Casiraghi since he retired from his decorated playing career two years ago.
Zola has helped guide the team to qualification for next year's Beijing Olympics, and while he recently signed a new two-year deal with the Italian federation, it is believed he is prepared to fly to Australia as early as next week if the Socceroos job is an option.
While Football Federation Australia is focused on chasing more experienced coaches, since Dick Advocaat reneged on his contract last weekend, it is believed there is strong support for Zola in the federation — particularly as he is prepared to base himself in Australia.
Zola, who speaks fluent English, visited Sydney late last year in a promotional visit for his equipment sponsors, playing a half each for NSW Premier League sides Marconi Stallions and Apia-Leichhardt in an exhibition match at Bossley Park.
Former National Soccer League player Buddy Farah, who helped organise the visit, is Zola's Australian representative, and spoke to him this week about the Socceroos job.
"He's excited by the thought, genuinely excited," Farah said.
"He loves the country, he knows about the team and the qualifying campaign, and he believes he's ready to take the next step in his coaching career.
"Living here would not be a problem — when he came out last year, his family absolutely loved it, and they'd be quite happy to move."
Former Socceroos defender Luke Casserly, now playing for Marconi in the NSW Premier League, helped Zola in a coaching clinic during his visit, and said: "The most impressive thing about him is how humble he is. He's an absolute gentleman. He didn't act like a big time Charlie … he has time for everyone, and I think the players would absolutely love him."
Former Sydney FC striker John Buonavoglia, who scored off a Zola pass during the exhibition game, added: "Even though the guy was unfit when he played, he was an absolute freak. I really hope they go out and get him. There's so much you can learn from someone like that, and with all his experience, I'm sure he'd get the utmost respect from all the boys."
The federation has stepped up its search for a new Socceroos coach in recent days, with meetings in Sydney and Europe involving senior staff and chairman Frank Lowy.
Juergen Klinsmann, who guided Germany to the semi-finals of last year's World Cup, seems to have the inside running, but his former teammate Lothar Matthaeus, and Dutchman Pim Verbeek — who coached South Korea at this year's Asian Cup — are believed to be under consideration.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer/zola-puts-hands-up-for-job/2007/11/23/1195753308212.html

Dragooner

Bench
Read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

I don't like the idea.

Has no experiance coaching yet alone in Asia!

Matt23

Staff member
Would'nt be the worst choice, I think i read somewhere about Gabriel Batistuta being interested in the job as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, we need someone soon. I'm not saying throw it at the first guy that comes along, but this is somebody with name value (unlike Arnold). Isn't he involved with the Italian U-21s side?

Zola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hes A Champion And Anyone Who Says Anything Bad About Him Can Stfu!!!! :d

Zola >>>>> God

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Matt23 said:
Would'nt be the worst choice, I think i read somewhere about Gabriel Batistuta being interested in the job as well.

I saw that too. For those that missed it:

ARGENTINE soccer legend Gabriel Batistuta has thrown his hat in the Socceroos coaching ring. Batistuta has been keeping a low profile in Perth for almost two years, but has recently indicated to several sources that he would be prepared to accept the Australian job, if offered to him.
Former Socceroos winger Stan Lazaridis said Football Federation Australia would be crazy not to consider him.
Batistuta, 38, has completed his coaching badges in Argentina.
"If you are after a big name, well Gabriel Batistuta is sitting on our doorstep," Lazaridis said.
"We missed out on Dick Advocaat and there are huge problems because the guys we are chasing want a fortune and are not prepared to relocate to Australia. This guy is semi-retired in Perth and he ticks a lot of boxes.
"I'm not saying it's the first option, but it's one that certainly should be considered for all the plus factors.
"I'm sure he has seen every single A-League player, he has played against a lot of the current Socceroos and he saw Guus Hiddink's squad at the World Cup. He should be put to the FFA board and through the judging process."
While Batistuta has not coached, there is a groundswell of support from within the Australian soccer community for a rookie appointment.
This comes in the wake of recent success stories, such as Juergen Klinsmann (Germany), Dunga (Brazil) and Slaven Bilic (Croatia).
Batistuta's illustrious 17-year playing career ended in 2005. He is Argentina's most prolific scorer and has recently been linked with their national team job.
His name has been forwarded to FFA heavyweights, but their reaction is believed to have been somewhat coy.
Perth Glory have tried to get Batistuta involved, but he has so far declined all overtures.
Lazaridis said the Socceroos job probably appeals more to Batistuta, who plays golf "off scratch" and has movie-star looks to boot.
"It is very attractive, especially for someone who has been watching the sun set every night on the golf course," he said.
"You can't take the football out of a person and he's now thinking, 'I want to be a coach'. He would be a major drawcard. He would be great for sponsors and for the fans."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22814950-11088,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
everyone wants a piece of us cuz we are so awesome

cant blame them

Dragooner

Bench
Twizzle said:
everyone wants a piece of us cuz we are so awesome

cant blame them

I rekon!

I mean come on! England! Pfft!

Who wants to have their coaching career tarnished?

Hanscholo

Bench
I find this entire situation to be the biggest cultural cringe ive seen in 32 years. Surely we can hire a coach that can plan a campaign, forge team spirit and set out a game plan. There is nobody in Australia that can do this?

Its a Football tournament, the more we start to obssess over it the more we will fail at it...see England.

Misanthrope

Staff member
There is nobody in Australia that can do this?

Of course not. If there's one area that Australia lags behind the world more than it does in youth structure, it's in the training of its coaches. There won't be a world class coach to come out of Australia for at least another twenty or so years.

Latest posts