What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Massive opportunity missed this afternoon!

The NRL looks like promoting next weekends ANZ Stadium matches a fair bit this week. 35k+ at both is a possibility.

panther
should be big crowd at Penrith this week, top of ladder against st George who has strong away support. good to see all West Sydney teams on form this year should provide an upward trend in crowds in this second half of the season after a slow first half.

ByRd

First Grade
Doubt bulldogs/eels will reach 35k with Hayne and the bulldogs players not there cause of origin. Absolutely dumb, stupid, idiotic scheduling to have this game during this period of the season.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Doubt bulldogs/eels will reach 35k with Hayne and the bulldogs players not there cause of origin. Absolutely dumb, stupid, idiotic scheduling to have this game during this period of the season.

Yep agree, they clearly are prioitising origin given its money making ability. But it is hurting the regular season and compromising the integrity of the season too.

How on earth they managed to schedule all of the Queensland derbies in the first 11 rounds is unbelievable as well!

pHyR3

Juniors
Cant beleive they haven't scheduled today's game for the arvo. Putting the game at night time with everyone focused on work and school the next dat after a long weekend is stupitity

its not stupidity is CHANNEL 9 and FOX. NRL has far less say these days than previous years. The next broadcast deal needs to focus on maximising crowds through set times teams play. 7:20pm starts, not 7:45-8pm and move Monday night to Thursday night. Also, get every game simulcast on FTA and Fox. live, most importantly.

oldmancraigy

Coach

I think it will get past 30k.

The return bout should hit 50k (assuming both teams are still in top 8 contention)

BlueandGold

Juniors
I think it will get past 30k.

The return bout should hit 50k (assuming both teams are still in top 8 contention)

Return bout is on a thursday night, if both teams are in top 4 contention then 50k is possible.

If the return bout was on a Sunday arvo with top 4 contention for both teams then it would go close to 60k imo.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Return bout is on a thursday night, if both teams are in top 4 contention then 50k is possible.

If the return bout was on a Sunday arvo with top 4 contention for both teams then it would go close to 60k imo.

Is it on Thursday night?:crazy: At 12:00am I suppose :lol:
Check out what time the other teams are playing on that round ;-)

Will probably end up a Friday night game though...

BlueandGold

Juniors
Is it on Thursday night?:crazy: At 12:00am I suppose :lol:
Check out what time the other teams are playing on that round ;-)

Will probably end up a Friday night game though...

Ahh yes the last 5 rounds will be done after round 16 i think.

Last 5 rounds will have a Thursday night game so lets hope it is Friday.

Despite the schedule for Rounds 21-26 not being released yet

I still believe that the order of the matches as shown on the official NRL draw for these rounds to be correct.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2014telstrapremiershipdraw_v2.pdf

Notice how the matches run in order of how the TV schedule works

One match on Nine (Thursday)
One match on Nine (Friday)
Three matches on FOX (Super Saturday)
One match on FOX (Sunday 2pm)
One match on Nine (Sunday 4pm replay)
One match on FOX (Sunday night - yes based on the date range below it would be a Sunday evening)

Round Twenty-Three - Thursday, Aug 14-17

Rabbitohs vs. Broncos
ANZ Stadium (NINE)

Eels vs. Bulldogs
ANZ Stadium (NINE)

Knights vs. Warriors
Hunter Stadium (FOX)

Panthers vs. Cowboys
Sportingbet Stadium (FOX)

Titans vs. Sea Eagles
Cbus Super Stadium (FOX)

Raiders vs. Dragons
GIO Stadium (FOX)

Storm vs. Sharks
AAMI Park (NINE)

Tigers vs. Roosters
ANZ Stadium (FOX)

oldmancraigy

Coach

I'm almost certain it will be Friday.

NRL allows 9 to pick 2 matches first for Friday night, and which game would rate better than that one? Eels have always had a very good TV audience (hence getting channel 9 games consistently in their wooden spoon years).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Despite the schedule for Rounds 21-26 not being released yet

I still believe that the order of the matches as shown on the official NRL draw for these rounds to be correct.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2014telstrapremiershipdraw_v2.pdf

What you're saying makes sense, but it would make no sense for them not to have told us yet if that was actually finalized??

It could be preliminary selections by the networks, with the timeslot subject to change a little bit closer?

What you're saying makes sense, but it would make no sense for them not to have told us yet if that was actually finalized??

It could be preliminary selections by the networks, with the timeslot subject to change a little bit closer?

Very true.

Then again knowing the NRL they probably don't even realise they have put the extra info on the PDF version of the draw.

I will say that Souths v Broncos on the Thursday and Eels v Bulldogs on the Friday seems right on the money from a Channel 9 point of view.

Especially considering that Saturday isn't an option due to the Bledisloe Cup is being played at ANZ Stadium and the Tigers v Roosters match also being played there on the same weekend.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think Perth Red really grasps how averages work.

Also, if the stadium seats 24k, why have they only been drawing 20k? People have been going on about the last two souffs-cuzzy bros games as if they have been sellouts.

yeh its shocking that a game featuring two neutral teams were everyone is paying $35-55 to get in "only" draws 20k! If only we could be more like Manly we might be deserving of a team lol. two stadium attendance records in a row shows the potential for RL in the West. The Force will be nervously watching what the NRL does in November and praying they continue to be myopic in growing the game.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very easy to average 15 k with Slater, Cronk and Smith in the team...and the fact they haven't missed the finals in ages! Lets see how they go if they have a poor season!

well Manly have had equal, if not more, on field success and avg'd 13-14k so not that easy it would seem?

Combination of well run club, decent stadium, large population to draw from, marketing, scheduling price structure and on field success is what is needed.

Last edited:

guyver78

Juniors
True but a few 20,000 and hopefully not many 13k should see us around the 16-17k which I would say is a big tick for NRL expansion. Hopefully by the time we get a team, if ever, the NRL will have employed someone with a clue about scheduling!

Perth is set to grow by another million people over next 15 yeas and the plans are laid out for a new west stand and redeveloped shed end so if we can start around the 12k members 15-17k crowds then no reason the club won't keep growing and the stadium get finished off.

I have more faith in our great game than many it seems!

Perth Red for a new Perth franchise to succeed you need a hell of a lot of luck. You need just about everything to go your way and then even more luck.

You would need:

-A few superstar players
-Top 4 or at least a Top 8 Franchise for a few good years
-Cheap memberships/Tickets
-Lots of promotion
-Favourable scheduling
-A brand that people can relate to. Best I've seen so far is the Brisbane Broncos and how they've monopolised the whole town.

Look at the Titans struggling in one of Rugby Leagues heartlands and they have a pretty good team. How long did Slater/Inglis/Smith/Cronk/Orford/Floau just to name a few play in front of 6,7 or 8K piss poor turnouts. What's to say that all those Souths/Warriors fans from last Saturday night would go to games regularly to support the new Perth franchise.

The NRL wont just bring in a new franchise because it takes a good 10 sometimes 15 years to establish by which time they'd lose millions even if the team did average 15K.

I'm not saying that it wont ever happen I just cant see it happening anytime soon given that at the moment only the Broncos and Rabbitohs make a marginal profit every year.(Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one)

Status
Not open for further replies.