What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Gidley coming to a club near you?

WireMan

Bench
Nothing official yet. :sarcasm:

If our recent past is anything to by, the superstars we have bought have not done it and the lesser lights have done well.

I assume he will go in the halves and help develop our kids there.

I wonder what this means for Myler? Out of contract at the end of the season so he looks like he has gone.
He wants to go to the NRL.

perverse

Referee
If the jury is still out on Myler after 150 games, then I'm not sure a decision will ever be reached. Can't be that good, although I recall he had big wraps as a youngster.

Frederick

Staff member
If the jury is still out on Myler after 150 games, then I'm not sure a decision will ever be reached. Can't be that good, although I recall he had big wraps as a youngster.

We already have one of those in our team. Definitely don't need another

perverse

Referee
We already have one of those in our team. Definitely don't need another

Indeed. Having said that... giving a highly rated halfback from the ESL a crack seems like a better option than sticking with Roberts at this point. We are in a grim situation, and there's no chance of us competing for a top-line half on the market. We're going to need to create something out of nothing.

Joker's Wild

Coach

150 games and being replaced by Kurt Gidley

Forget i asked. Pass

perverse

Referee
150 games and being replaced by Kurt Gidley

Forget i asked. Pass
It's a pretty sad state of affairs, for sure. At best I think Myler would end up much like Dobson. Having watched a highlights package of him on youtube, I would say he will get a rude shock if he ever meets an NRL defensive line.

Evil Homer

Staff member
He's only 24 and spent his first three years playing outside a dominating halfback in Lee Briers, who was an Andrew Johns type player who pretty much did everything himself while Myler just had to be a support act. He struggled a bit last year after Briers' retirement, but his form has been pretty good this year and he seems to be starting to develop into someone who can lead the team around a little more. I'm really hesitant to say how he would go, he's not someone like a Ben Roberts or Scott Dureau who makes stupid mistakes or has any real weaknesses in his game, he just isn't a fully matured commanding halfback yet.

He wouldn't be being replaced by Gidley BTW, Warrington currently have a 19 year old rookie at 6 so Gidley would presumably be being brought in to help with his development. Or something.

WireMan

Bench
That would be my guess.
Steady the ship with some experience but develop the youngsters who we have a few very good ones at the moment.
Can cover a few positions.
Hopefully on not to much money.

Myler is very underrated at what he is good at.
His only weakness is his long or high tactical kicking, everything else he does as well as anyone.

Due to the early retirement of Briers he was given the lead half role a year earlier than expected.
He struggled a bit last year.

This year he is going OK to be honest.

Great defence, support play, taking the ball to the line and reading the game.
At the moment a better stand off than half back, but that is inderstandable given he has been a stand off for the last few years.