What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Watson and the tap on the shoulder?

Mr Bean

Juniors
B_O1Qp3VAAIwHSm.jpg

Scarily, scored more than Cook though.

Watson out; M Marsh in
Haddin out; Nevill in

Hope Starc is fit but if not, I guess Siddle is next cab off the rank.

Go from there...but for mine, the Ashes are lost, the tour is over and I'm in it for the LOLs.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
Scarily, scored more than Cook though.

Watson out; M Marsh in
Haddin out; Nevill in

Hope Starc is fit but if not, I guess Siddle is next cab off the rank.

Go from there...but for mine, the Ashes are lost, the tour is over and I'm in it for the LOLs.

I've been a Watson supporter but his time is well and truly up. Mitch Marsh deserves his spot.

I wouldn't be so quick to drop Haddin, he has earned the right to finish this series but he will need to step aside not long after that.

I think our bowling is the biggest concern, the loss of Rhyno is a massive blow, he would have loved the English conditions.

Johnson is well below his best, Pat Cummins hasn't played a first class match this year and Siddle needs a bit of dead cow in his diet. I think we could be in trouble.

I've been a Watson supporter but his time is well and truly up. Mitch Marsh deserves his spot.

I wouldn't be so quick to drop Haddin, he has earned the right to finish this series but he will need to step aside not long after that.

I think our bowling is the biggest concern, the loss of Rhyno is a massive blow, he would have loved the English conditions.

Johnson is well below his best, Pat Cummins hasn't played a first class match this year and Siddle needs a bit of dead cow in his diet. I think we could be in trouble.

How has Haddin earned the right to finish this series?
He is woefully out of form both with bat and gloves.
He is a significant weakness in this team.

The selectors have to get over this belief or perception that certain players have a 'right' to be selected. It very well was a major reason we lost the first test and may well cost us the series.

Johnnie Red

Juniors
After 66 test matches he deserves the chance to rectify his form. Plus there is no genuine contender to take his place anyway.

Haddins batting style can really be really effective against swing bowling, much like Mark Waugh and Damien Martin. He just needs an innings to get him going.

His keeping was poor but he will be much better at Lords. Don't forget that he did take some great catches off Lyon.

lockyno1

Post Whore
After 66 test matches he deserves the chance to rectify his form. Plus there is no genuine contender to take his place anyway.

Haddins batting style can really be really effective against swing bowling, much like Mark Waugh and Damien Martin. He just needs an innings to get him going.

His keeping was poor but he will be much better at Lords. Don't forget that he did take some great catches off Lyon.

Yeah...and he dropped a sitter which cost us 130 odd runs....don't care how many gimmie's he took off Lyon...you drop their best bat on 0...fair dinkum. Deserves to go.

It would be a rare thing for someone his age to regain form that has eluded him for two years.
The selectors have been loyal to him for too long and just because he has played 66 test should not mean automatic selection.
And of course there is a genuine contender to take his spot.

Yeah...and he dropped a sitter which cost us 130 odd runs....don't care how many gimmie's he took off Lyon...you drop their best bat on 0...fair dinkum. Deserves to go.

Turned out to be the turning point in the test match.
It was a diabolical mistake that even a rookie wk would take 999 out 1000 times.
The only reason you keep Haddin in the side is if his batting was firing on all cylinders. But with an average of 17 over the past 18 months shows that his batting is as reliable as a tailender.

Johnnie Red

Juniors

Not the first guy to drop a catch. I'll still back him for this series over any other keeper in the country. He might prove me wrong but he's in my first XI.

Last time I checked catching a bottom edge while up at the stumps is one of the hardest for a keeper to hang onto. Not exactly a gimme.

But anyway...the man is not in great form but blooding a new keeper in this series is the wrong move. The should have picked a new keeper for the Windies tour.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not the first guy to drop a catch. I'll still back him for this series over any other keeper in the country. He might prove me wrong but he's in my first XI.

Last time I checked catching a bottom edge while up at the stumps is one of the hardest for a keeper to hang onto. Not exactly a gimme.

But anyway...the man is not in great form but blooding a new keeper in this series is the wrong move. The should have picked a new keeper for the Windies tour.

It wasn't that he dropped it...he was late to move. That is generally a bad sign as a keeper, and he did a similar thing against Moen Ali in the 2nd innings. These incidents were not happening 2-3 years ago. He is past it.

Haddin is averaging about 20...I'm sure Nevill can do that, and at least he can keep well.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He is moving so late onto the ball when he's batting. That's what worries me. At his age it's likely to be the march of time rather than anything form related. I love the bloke but all players eventually face it. Ponting carved up first class cricket in his last year but Kallis making him look like a goose was enough for him to say I'm too old for this shit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think he went too late at all, he dived when he didn't need to, it was too close and he could have taken it with 2 hands.

IF it was further away he probabaly would have taken it easy with the dive, the ball ended up under his ribs when he dropped it, he dived over it.

8Ball

First Grade

Ridiculous analysis. A drop is a drop. Doesn't matter who the batsman or what amount of runs they're on. And the couple he took off Lyon weren't gimmes.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Does Watson realise he is a joke now?

Years of mediocre have memes and standard jokes about DRS, LBW etc etc.

Highest paid player, non performer. Worlds laughing at the joke.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He is the highest paid due to sponsorship deals, he's not the highest paid player by CA.

HE should be sponsored by the makers of the DRS

8Ball

First Grade
Aussies won't panic on Ashes selections
Rob Forsaith
18:04 AEST Tue Jul 14 2015

Coach Darren Lehmann has vowed not to panic as national selectors mull what to do with beleaguered Australian allrounder Shane Watson.

Watson was trapped lbw in both innings of the Ashes opener, increasing the pressure on the 34-year-old to keep his spot in the Australian Test side.

Younger allrounder Mitch Marsh, who clubbed eye-catching centuries in tour games against Kent and Essex, will come under serious consideration.

Lehmann suggested he and fellow selector Rod Marsh had yet to make a call regarding the second Test, which starts on Thursday at Lord's.

"We're not going to panic," said Lehmann on Monday night at a Hardys Wine event.

"What we're going to do is pick the best XI we think will win the Test match.

"If Shane is in that, he's in it.

"If he's not, he's not. That's just the way it is with professional sport."

Lehmann added Watson was working very hard to turn things around, having only passed 50 in two of his past 16 innings.

"He got two starts in the first Test and obviously got out lbw both times, but I thought he looked quite good," he said.

"It's going to be a tough call and we'll just have to make that call in the next day or two."

Watson continues to attract an unparalleled level of vitriol from Twitter users and widespread condemnation from many media outlets.

Lehmann believed his much-maligned charge was remaining positive.

"That's just part and parcel of what happens in today's sport and you've got to blank it out and concentrate and believe in what you're doing," he said.

"He's certainly doing that behind the scenes, so he's still the normal Shane Watson."

Watson received an unexpected source of support from Stuart Broad, the England seamer who trapped him lbw last Friday.

"Six is a tricky spot to bat. I'm sure he'll play (at Lord's). I don't have any doubts," Broad said.

"Shane Watson has given us a lot of trouble in the past.

"I'm pretty sure they will go unchanged if they don't have any injury problems."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=9007920

Looks like it may come down to net form. :crazy:

Latest posts