What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxsports talks expansion

I suspected when TV deal with Nine announced and them getting an extra game a week, Foxtel would of been pushing for 2 more teams, so they don't lose a game.

flippikat

Bench
Why? Perth shows more potential than Melbourne

Darn right. WA have the results in the affiliated states competition that show they have the strongest grassroots outside of NSW/Qld. Add to that the extra timezone that opens up a nice late-night timeslot every so often, Perth is very compelling as an expansion option.

taipan

Referee
Because it would make suburban clubs like Cronulla seem even smaller and more insignificant than they already are.

$400m development,own ground,nearly 14,000 in attendance for a Cowboys game (who brought no one),continually growing population , 3rd biggest juniors in Sydney,shows you are once again talking through your a*se end.
Former Broncos CEO noted ,the Sharks will be among the most financially strong in the NRL.

But you just keep on whistling dixie or land of hope and glory PR.

elbusto

Coach
$400m development,own ground,nearly 14,000 in attendance for a Cowboys game (who brought no one),continually growing population , 3rd biggest juniors in Sydney,shows you are once again talking through your a*se end.
Former Broncos CEO noted ,the Sharks will be among the most financially strong in the NRL.

But you just keep on whistling dixie or land of hope and glory PR.

He has a hatred and obsession with the sharks that is unhealthy to say the least

beave

Coach
I don't know why people hate the Sharks, other than Dragons fans. It's not like they've beaten anyones team in a GF to warrant the vitriol..... As a NQ fan the irony of this comment is not lost on me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He has a hatred and obsession with the sharks that is unhealthy to say the least

I used to love tne Sharks, even went to shark park a couple of times. Then I started getting stalked by some of their merkin fans on here and it turned me right off them. Sharks should be kicked out because I don't like miller is legend.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Darn right. WA have the results in the affiliated states competition that show they have the strongest grassroots outside of NSW/Qld. Add to that the extra timezone that opens up a nice late-night timeslot every so often, Perth is very compelling as an expansion option.

Any RL fan with half a brain can see Perth is the next obvious expansion club if we want to grow the game. Merkins saying not are just trolling in some failed attempt to wind me up lol.

I used to love tne Sharks, even went to shark park a couple of times. Then I started getting stalked by some of their merkin fans on here and it turned me right off them. Sharks should be kicked out because I don't like miller is legend.

Arggghhh, I have a giant west Australian pommy turtle head poking out me bum!

T to the T

Juniors
Fox owes the sport at least 2 expansion teams, if not 4 or 6. Starting with WA and SEQ. Thanks to Murdoch, we've only recently reached where we were back in 1988. NRL needs to force this issue themselves as well as they are resting on their laurels.

alien

Referee
oi perth red, tell me if you like this idea. the owner of meriton, harry triguboff, wants to buy wests tigers, but wests ashfield leagues club probably won't sell their part of wests tigers to him, and harry said he won't be interested in being a part owner. he is from the balmain side of the joint venture, so what if harry, wests, balmain, and the nrl have a meeting and come to an agreement that harry buys balmain and relocates them to perth (so there is perth tigers in the nrl). wests magpies come back in the nrl as a campbelltown based team. everyone wins. perth wouldn't be called pirates, but they get a club based in perth with lots of history, and would have support for their away games in sydney. wests magpies come back and will be stronger than before since they are financially stronger than they were. balmain get to keep their traditions, but based in perth. the nrl and the game wins because there is a perth team. bring in a second brisbane team and you have 18 teams

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
A much better plan would be bringing in a Perth team, the Wests Tigers staying exactly where they are, and the Magpies staying dead.

docbrown

Coach
They've been the Wests Tigers for 15 years. They've been through the process of merging their fan bases together to support a new identity and the long hard yards of trying to regain lost members and get new ones.

Remember, a kid who was 6 or 7 back in 2000 would be 21 or 22 today. They would never have even seen the Magpies or Balmain in action or have negligible physical memory of them.

Heck, I'd argue that it even takes people into their teen years before they really start to understand and appreciate their relationship with their club - so now you're looking at most under 30s Wests Tigers fans.

Plus the older fans who didn't adopt the club until after they became the Wests Tigers identity & had no association with the former brands -- plus the older fans who remember the Super League/Merger days and had to overcome bitter resentment to eventually accept the new identity.

So basically by splitting apart their club, relocating half to Perth where they can't attend matches and reverting half to a club that many have little affiliation let alone memory of, you pretty much risk alienating most existing under 35/40 fans. You'd be killing off the majority who financially support the club and create the next generation of supporters.

The merger teams shouldn't be touched. The future for the Tigers is in the South-West of Sydney and the facilities move to Liverpool is a good start.

gallagher

Juniors
oi perth red, tell me if you like this idea. the owner of meriton, harry triguboff, wants to buy wests tigers, but wests ashfield leagues club probably won't sell their part of wests tigers to him, and harry said he won't be interested in being a part owner. he is from the balmain side of the joint venture, so what if harry, wests, balmain, and the nrl have a meeting and come to an agreement that harry buys balmain and relocates them to perth (so there is perth tigers in the nrl). wests magpies come back in the nrl as a campbelltown based team. everyone wins. perth wouldn't be called pirates, but they get a club based in perth with lots of history, and would have support for their away games in sydney. wests magpies come back and will be stronger than before since they are financially stronger than they were. balmain get to keep their traditions, but based in perth. the nrl and the game wins because there is a perth team. bring in a second brisbane team and you have 18 teams
Or you could just bring in new perth and Brisbane teams, keep wests tigers and you continue to change clubs depending on their success.

Latest posts