What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxsports talks expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Foxsports talking expansion! Perth ahead in the voting.

NRL expansion: We run the rule over potential inclusions and the clubs under threat for relocation

EVERYONE has an opinion on the expansion versus relocation debate but unfortunately there is no win-win solution.

With the over-saturated Sydney market it seems sensible to relocate a team to an area begging for one. It’s all fun and games for most, except the devoted fans of the teams being tossed into the fire, who will defend their colours and locality until the death.

Expansion is another option, but there are current clubs who struggle to pull 10,000 fans to a home game. It seems counter productive to add another team to the competition while many of the existing clubs are struggling.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-p...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well it seems any hope of growing the NRL is still reliant on TV exec decisions not a strategic plan of the NRL, so yes they are still calling the shots when it comes to expansion.

Afl has had the balls to expand its Comp regardless of if TV wanted it or not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
:lol: They didn't actually, they used expansion to get more TV money. Besides look how much that expansion is costing them.

But they didn't make it dependant on the TV company wanting it. They announced expansion before the TV deal was negotiated. They then levered off this to get a bette deal. nrl is doing it arse way around meaning more than likely still no expansion.

Afl announced expansion in 2007, well before the 2011 tv deal was negotiated. Yep it's costing them a mint, but they knew it would and were smart enough to con the clubs to effectively helping out via ticket tax and unequal Grant payments. Expansion costs, be it nrl in Melbourne and Perth or afl in Sydney and Qland.

Now of course nrl may be playing this very smart and counting on fox upping there offer for a ninth game thus paying for expansion, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
The AFL indeed leveraged expansion to get a better deal at the time...

It's since been proven to be an utter failure in terms of getting eyeballs watching GWS & Suns not just in their target markets, but even in their strongholds...

Haffa

Expansions which cost GWS or Thuns levels should never be considered. 20 million+ a year with zero returns and talk of 50 year plans.??

But they didn't make it dependant on the TV company wanting it. They announced expansion before the TV deal was negotiated. They then levered off this to get a bette deal. nrl is doing it arse way around meaning more than likely still no expansion.

Afl announced expansion in 2007, well before the 2011 tv deal was negotiated. Yep it's costing them a mint, but they knew it would and were smart enough to con the clubs to effectively helping out via ticket tax and unequal Grant payments. Expansion costs, be it nrl in Melbourne and Perth or afl in Sydney and Qland.

Now of course nrl may be playing this very smart and counting on fox upping there offer for a ninth game thus paying for expansion, but I doubt it.

Hope not!

Besides there is not enough playing talent so how many years will expansion teams be cannon fodder

DC_fan

Coach
For mine it should not be expansion in the number of teams that play in the NRL, with 16 being the limit. But where those teams are located.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm shortly getting on a plane to watch my team run out at Wembley. Who knows we might pick up another trophy, one of many I have had the pleasure of watching my team lift. Of course you would know nothing of that joy lol.

adamkungl

Immortal
Expansion should not be halted because other clubs can't get their shit sorted. Ridiculous suggestion. A team in Perth is going to have literally zero effect on Roosters Cronulla or Canberra crowds.

I'm 100% against forced cuts or relocations but if you can't keep up with progress it's time to go

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expansion should not be halted because other clubs can't get their shit sorted. Ridiculous suggestion. A team in Perth is going to have literally zero effect on Roosters Cronulla or Canberra crowds.

I'm 100% against forced cuts or relocations but if you can't keep up with progress it's time to go

But but but we need tribalism. How are clubs like Cronulla going to break 10,000 crowds without visiting fans?