What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebooting the prequels and what to change

LESStar58

Referee
I second this.

TPM sucked really bad, but AOTC and ROTJ aren't as horrible as it's made out to be. Although extremely flawed, it got the basic plots and characterizations right. Lucas screwed it up with all that green screen and his horrible scripts.

Rebooting it will be like the Spiderman reboots, it will feel too familiar and completely unnecessary. There isn't any interesting way of retelling something we already know.

I stand by my opinion that clones is worse that Phantom Menace... and change ROTJ to ROTS, mate. ;-)

perverse

Referee
Clones is at least as bad as TPM... if not worse, for sure. Goddamn it was bad. ROTS is an ok film.

I think a reboot would be great, and I like OPs ideas about it. I wouldn't put Darth Maul front and centre without a complete overhaul though... name included. Just a shitty, uninspired, mute, horrible character.

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
The bloke is well in to his 70s. He's like every other male on the planet; he doesn't want to keep working for the rest of his life. Also he's the boss of a corporation. Not just the films, but Skywalker Sound, Industrial Light and Magic, Lucasarts (yes I know Disney shut it down but that's beside the point) etc. He sold LUCASFILM and it's subsidiaries as well as their tent pole properties (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) so he could retire.

Mate, he was making enough off royalties from those films to "retire". He sold them to fund other new projects from what I understand. No one needs $4bn to retire in their 70s FFS.

I will give you a thousand dollars if they ever remake the prequel trilogy.

And you can add a 3rd group to your demographic; those who can take them or leave them when it comes to the prequels.

At a time when every second film is a reboot, remake or sequel, I'll gladly take that bet and I honestly can't see how you could think this is unlikely enough to make it.

Put it this way, a tonne more people loved the original Terminator films than these prequels, and yet we've just seen a weird ass reboot that effectively erased all of them.

LESStar58

Referee
At a time when every second film is a reboot, remake or sequel, I'll gladly take that bet and I honestly can't see how you could think this is unlikely enough to make it.

Put it this way, a tonne more people loved the original Terminator films than these prequels, and yet we've just seen a weird ass reboot that effectively erased all of them.

What conceivable good would Disney expect from rebooting the prequels? Sure, they might make them to placate your two groups of Star Wars fans but is it going to be something that the average movie goer is going to gjve a wet fart about? Most people would likely say "but they already made those movies 10 years ago". Does it help Disney's cause for the franchise any besides their obvious bottom line taking a massive surge. Business wise it makes no sense.

I'll even sweeten the pot and pay for you to have a night with a hooker.

RoosTah

Juniors
What conceivable good would Disney expect from rebooting the prequels? Sure, they might make them to placate your two groups of Star Wars fans but is it going to be something that the average movie goer is going to gjve a wet fart about? Most people would likely say "but they already made those movies 10 years ago". Does it help Disney's cause for the franchise any besides their obvious bottom line taking a massive surge. Business wise it makes no sense.

I'll even sweeten the pot and pay for you to have a night with a hooker.

It'll have nothing to do with "good" and plenty to do with $$$. The "special editions" that we all hate made a tonne of cash at the cinemas when they were release FFS, do you really think the prospect of redone and actually good looking prequels wouldn't make a lot of money?

LESStar58

Referee
You seem really hell bent that these prequels get redone.

In closing, it's a f**king ridiculous idea and I can't see Disney going forwards by looking backwards and, as per my previous post, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Lucas would have stipulated in the transaction that the first two trilogies remain untouched.

I'll take my thousand in fifties, mate. Cheers.

LESStar58

Referee
Plus, the events of the prequel trilogy are officially recognised as canon. In Aftermath (the firsr official novel since the Disney acquisition) one of the sidekick characters is a reprogrammed, reappropriated and, ahem, LETHAL Trade Federation battle droid.

The Shattered Empire comic series by Marvel (also disney owned) also features Leia going to Naboo where she finds that Palpatine had at one point demilitarised the planet and they are slowly building their forces up again. At one point Leia leads a squadron of Naboo Starfighters in a dogfight.... against an Imperial Star destroyer.

In both the book and the comics they are also establishing back stories and narratives for new characters that will appear in the new films.

So here you have 2 instances of two mediums (one of which is also under the same umbrella as Star Wars) acknowledging what went down in the prequels. What do they do now? Piss away the millions they have spent establishing an entirely new narrative in which the events of the prequel trilogy are clearly eluded to (there's also a reference in Aftermath where the Imperials/First order once tried to start up the Droid factories on Geonosis again) just to go back and recreate the history of the Star Wars timeline by redoing the prequels because people hated them?

If you look at it beyond the wild rantings of a fan who hates the prequels you will realise that there has already been too much invested by the new parent company for them to totally disintegrate what they have built just to redo 3 of the films. Disney could care less about appeasing the folks who want to see the prequels "done right". They are going to do what makes most sense from a business perspective. Destroying what they have done since 2012 does not make sense.

sandshark

Bench
Its never going to happen.
Like it or not there is a generation that adores the prequels.
Just like there is a generation that adores the original trilogy.
No doubt when Georgie boy sold Lucasfilms he would have made it that Disney cannot touch the prequels.
And why would they? They might make anthology films around the prequels BUT they are here to stay.

The prequels are like that drugged up cousin you have. You may not like them but they are family.

And for the record, I would love for them to be re-done.

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
I'm with the OP on this one. It might take another 10-15 years, but the prequels are 100% going to get remade. There's no "generation of people that adore them" like the original films; they were given the benefit of the doubt thanks to the brilliance of the first trilogy when they first came out, but they aged rapidly and very very badly.

We just got a Spider-Man reboot after a decade and the first two films of the trilogy they rebooted were actually pretty universally loved. If you think Star Wars eps 1-3 aren't likely candidates for a reboot you're deluding yourself. I mean they've even rebooted Star Trek now!

LESStar58

Referee
And going slightly off topic; in Aftermath they also mention "Black Sun". This makes me happy because I LOVED Shadows Of The Empire and even though they said the EU is effectively dead or relegated they still manage a tip of the hat to that story by bringing up the criminal organisation that Prince Xizor headed up. Makes me wonder if they'll leave the period between Empire and Jedi largely untouched. If Disney were going to do anything between films an animated feature or TV series of Shadows of The Empire would be amazeballs!

LESStar58

Referee
I'm with the OP on this one. It might take another 10-15 years, but the prequels are 100% going to get remade. There's no "generation of people that adore them" like the original films; they were given the benefit of the doubt thanks to the brilliance of the first trilogy when they first came out, but they aged rapidly and very very badly.

We just got a Spider-Man reboot after a decade and the first two films of the trilogy they rebooted were actually pretty universally loved. If you think Star Wars eps 1-3 aren't likely candidates for a reboot you're deluding yourself. I mean they've even rebooted Star Trek now!

I'll place a bet for a grand with you too. It won't happen.

sandshark

Bench
And going slightly off topic; in Aftermath they also mention "Black Sun". This makes me happy because I LOVED Shadows Of The Empire and even though they said the EU is effectively dead or relegated they still manage a tip of the hat to that story by bringing up the criminal organisation that Prince Xizor headed up. Makes me wonder if they'll leave the period between Empire and Jedi largely untouched. If Disney were going to do anything between films an animated feature or TV series of Shadows of The Empire would be amazeballs!

I have read about 20 EU books. Currently reading an EU series now. They are entertainment!
Never shall be forgotten.

LESStar58

Referee
I read Truce at Bakura and Children of the jedi and the thrawn trilogy. I don't generally like reading fiction, y'see.

strong_latte

Juniors
Ive put a big time frame on this for 15 years, and you're seriously telling me you can't see a possibly multi billion doll profit windfall from remaking a trilogy that was universally viewed as a massive lost opportunity won't happen by 2030?

I'll say it again: Star Trek. No one thought they'd EVER go back to the original crew... That's just not how shit was supposed to work in the Star Trek universe. But guess what? It happened and they erased they entire cannon of multiple series of Star Trek in the process.

If you think that can't happen to Star Wars when there's potentially billions to be made, then I suggest you stop taking whatever meds you're on.

RoosTah

Juniors
Bingo. The two fanboi lovers of the mediocre shit that was the Original prequel here seem to have a very hard time grasping there's a very big f**king economic imperative that will drive this.

LESStar58

Referee
Bingo. The two fanboi lovers of the mediocre shit that was the Original prequel here seem to have a very hard time grasping there's a very big f**king economic imperative that will drive this.

Economic imperative. :lol:

It's a good thing you've never been the deciding member on a jury, is all I'm saying.

strong_latte

Juniors
Do you actually have a reason why Disney will forgo the opportunity to make a lot of money, or does it just hurt you to think Jar Jar may no longer be cannon one day?

RoosTah

Juniors
The Star Trek point is a great one actually. There was plenty of LEEStar like fanbois who poopooed the initial rumours about the Abrams reboot because "people love them" etc.

Didn't matter a shit though. The Studio saw a great chance to cash in and they took it. The same will happen with Star Wars, and how anyone could think it won't is silly romanticised nonsense.

Money talks. This will happen.