What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine sports boss Tom Malone kicks off rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports

flippikat

Bench
Interesting tonight Fox was calling off Ch 9s graphics. Didnt help the fact there was no tackle count displayed. Well done 9. :roll:

Voss mentioned it a few times in his call too. He mustve been bursting to call channel 9 out on their ineptitude (or was it a ham-fisted attempt at sabotage?).

Johnny88

Juniors
Enjoyed watching Fox it felt like it was a super Saturday game. Vossy and Gaz were at Parra so its a good start for them. Tomorrow there is a 1 hour pre match before kick off on Fox as well. Also the Fox HD was much better than WIN HD. WIN SD was very blurry.

adamkungl

Immortal
That Geoff Lemon article is so so good. The best piece of sports writing i've ever read. I don't give two shits about cricket but you could replace the names and it would apply perfectly to Channel 9s Rugby League work.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everything about Fox coverage tonight was superior. No more will I will watch any regular game on nine again.

cleary89

Coach
That Geoff Lemon article is so so good. The best piece of sports writing i've ever read. I don't give two shits about cricket but you could replace the names and it would apply perfectly to Channel 9s Rugby League work.

Link

bobmar28

Bench
No tackle count, no meters gained? What's the go channel 9?
Anyway thanks for the HD.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
No tackle count, no meters gained? What's the go channel 9?
Anyway thanks for the HD.

The more I think about that, the more it sounds like sabotage from 9.

Did 9 have tackle count on their own graphics, or was it the same on both?

Huge "own goal" from 9 if both channels missed that due to a c**k-up in 9s part...

nrlnrl

First Grade
The more I think about that, the more it sounds like sabotage from 9.

Did 9 have tackle count on their own graphics, or was it the same on both?

Huge "own goal" from 9 if both channels missed that due to a c**k-up in 9s part...

It was the same for both - part of the agreement. Also, you might've noticed the generic mic's used for interviews with an NRL logo ( i.e. - no Ch9 logo allowed).

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Was it HD on GEM or something? I briefly flicked over to Channel 9 from FOX during the telecast and the broadcast looked like an infected boil.

typicalfan

Coach
Fox had problems with the tackle count during the nines. I can't think it would be deliberate sabotage as it only fuels Fox when their super Saturday coverage rolls around. Would make Ch9 look worse not better.

gUt

Coach
Great article.

Brayshaw is the forward marker of the new regime: an AFL commentator who trades in hyperbole and volume and phrases like “big unit”, and calls like a man who’s kept half an eye on cricket in pubs over the years. There are the touchstones: teenage Tendulkar made a Waca Ground hundred, Laxman and Dravid were rather good, Indian batsmen have wrists. But no detail, no effort to learn. Wriddhiman Saha would never have seen the Adelaide Oval, declared Brayshaw, when Saha’s grand total of two career Tests included an Adelaide debut. The most cursory glance at Cricinfo would have done the trick. “Gee, you’re unlucky,” was Slater’s vacant-grinning response. Or later in the series, Brayshaw again: “If you’re the Indian fast bowling coach – I don’t even know who that is, by the way...”

There’s a deliberate idiocy at work here: not just not knowing, but making a point of not knowing, and of telling us he doesn’t know. Consciously or not, this is Brayshaw nudging his audience to say that he doesn’t give a fig about this touring team, that none of us need to, they’re a mere backdrop to Australian glory.

So perfect

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Welcome to the new age... ch 9

11 THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Nine
Total -581,000
NSW -334,000
QLD -247,000

Huge decrease in FTA numbers, over 200k on Fox sports, which is about what they get on a normal sat night NRL game...

So basically everyone who could watch on FOX did...

undertaker

Coach
I must have missed they article the first time around UT, it was absolutely outstanding and so spot on.

I'm surprised you don't remember the article, as it was posted in the cricket forum on the eve of the World Cup. Anyways, I agree, it is outstanding and one of THE best cricket articles I've read for a long time. Even if you don't follow cricket, it is a must read, chronicling the dramatic demise of Ch9's sports broadcasting over the past decade since Packer died.

roofromoz

First Grade
Interesting tonight Fox was calling off Ch 9s graphics. Didnt help the fact there was no tackle count displayed. Well done 9. :roll:

Broken graphics counter (or something like that) was reported on Triple M at half time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Welcome to the new age... ch 9

11 THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Nine
Total -581,000
NSW -334,000
QLD -247,000

Huge decrease in FTA numbers, over 200k on Fox sports, which is about what they get on a normal sat night NRL game...

So basically everyone who could watch on FOX did...

They are also paying less then last deal. I can't see them crying over the 200k less viewers

Incorrect

Coach
:lol: Bleh. I'm pretty sure I mentioned him in a tweet during one of the Windies test matches over the summer, and the former bog ordinary NSW all-rounder didn't come after me then, so I'm pretty sure I'll sleep easy.

You're nto out of the woods yet I'd reckon.... ever since that article was published, merkins have probably been bagging McNamara on the internet as much as possible to spite him and Brad's probably got a backlog of a couple of hundred thousand people he's replying to!!

I'll add a couple more right now...

Brad McNamara = smug prat

Brad McNamara = z grade cricket TV executive director...

Come at me Brad!!! :lol:

Latest posts