What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine sports boss Tom Malone kicks off rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Welcome to the new age... ch 9

11 THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Nine
Total -581,000
NSW -334,000
QLD -247,000

Huge decrease in FTA numbers, over 200k on Fox sports, which is about what they get on a normal sat night NRL game...

So basically everyone who could watch on FOX did...

Media week posted some updated numbers

https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/705558536135143424

Thu TV #NRL *Updated* total #NRLEelsBroncos 1,089,000 (Nine/GEM 674k Regional 205k FoxSports 210k)

Regional number seems lower to me, I would think that's where the drop would be as they moved to Fox coverage.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
You're nto out of the woods yet I'd reckon.... ever since that article was published, merkins have probably been bagging McNamara on the internet as much as possible to spite him and Brad's probably got a backlog of a couple of hundred thousand people he's replying to!!

I'll add a couple more right now...

Brad McNamara = smug prat

Brad McNamara = z grade cricket TV executive director...

Come at me Brad!!! :lol:

CA's media guy Malcolm Conn is as notoriously thin skinned on twitter too. Got blocked for making fun of some crowd figures for the tests this year after he was bagging out A-League crowds.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Regional does seem low,

Its good to see we get to add them together now...

I flicked between the 2 channels last night, if I had a ratings box probably be counted as 2 people...

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's a good way to increase subscriptions going forward. People get used to having games at there fingertips.

Raiderdave

First Grade
No way in hell those regional figures are correct
Even with a few going to foxtel .. they're about 150K light :?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm surprised you don't remember the article, as it was posted in the cricket forum on the eve of the World Cup. Anyways, I agree, it is outstanding and one of THE best cricket articles I've read for a long time. Even if you don't follow cricket, it is a must read, chronicling the dramatic demise of Ch9's sports broadcasting over the past decade since Packer died.
Old age mate :lol:

But you are correct he absolutely nails it.

bileduct

Coach
The more I think about that, the more it sounds like sabotage from 9.

Did 9 have tackle count on their own graphics, or was it the same on both?

Huge "own goal" from 9 if both channels missed that due to a c**k-up in 9s part...
Voss mentioned about 20 minutes into the game that they couldn't show tackle counts because the system was counting backwards.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn't feel like there was much hype for start of season this year? Surprising really given the amazing GF we had to finish last season off. Not sure the "history happens" theme is that engaging either really?

Johnny88

Juniors
Sterlo has been bumped from the Sunday footy show he will host the pre game on Sunday instead. Bit of a surprise. Y.Sampson will be new host of footy show today according to Buzz.

juanfarkall

Coach
Mrs Juan and I went to the cinema on Saturday afternoon and found that one of the pre film ads was a quite good one for Fox trumpeting "ad free" NRL and pushing the "fact" that Australians hate ads.
I expect to see it again elsewhere

bobmar28

Bench
Was it HD on GEM or something? I briefly flicked over to Channel 9 from FOX during the telecast and the broadcast looked like an infected boil.

It was on the new 9HD channel.
There's also a new 10HD channel for the V8's.
You might need to do a full scan to get them.
By the way the tackle count and meters gained are back.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Channel 9's ratings this year have been obliterated by Fox.

Maybe they will finally pick up on the fact that their commentary team is shit...

RL on 9 use to get great ratings in SPITE of Gus and Rabies bitching constantly, but now there is an alternative and people are voting with their remotes.

Edit: actually, scratch "commentary team". Their entire presentation is shit.

Billythekid

First Grade
So how do our ratings compare with the AFL? I don't seem to remember their FTA ratings dropping by a great deal with simulcasting. Sure ch9 deserve to lose viewers but I'm not sure it's good for league.

Latest posts