What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the two best NRL game callers ?

Who are your two favourite NRL game callers?

• Ray Warren

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Ray Hadley

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Tim Gilbert

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Mathew Thompson

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Warren Smith

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Andrew Voss

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • Joel Caine

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Dan Ginnane

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Andrew Moore

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • David Morrow

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • John Gibbs

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Another person

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I am speaking only of game play callers, not analysts.

I love David Morrow and Andrew Moore second.

Then there is Ray Hadley, Ray Warren, Andrew Voss, Warren Smith, Joel Caine, Dan Ginnane, John Gibbs, Tim Gilbert, Mathew Thompson

captainwarrior

Juniors
I voted Moore and Morrow.

Probably a bit bias because I listen to 2gb for their calls of the games and have done for the last 5 or so years, but Moore is the best in my opinion. He loves the game and there's nothing better than watching the footy and listening to him, especially when he gets excited by the play.

Morrow was a second for me, really knowledgable obviously and has a real passion for the game too. Met him the other week actually and he's a really good bloke too.

Warren Smith and Vossy are really good too. Joel Caine is good, I still like Rabs but don't really care for any of the others. Ginnane is the other one that I can listen too but only if there's no one better.

Rhyno

First Grade
Ray warren and the main caller for abc grandstand don't know his name (calls with Matt Elliott )

Last edited:
Radio or TV because they are different calls?

On TV you don't need to say as much (because your audience can see) as you do on radio. On radio you really do need to say it all, the players, the plays, where on the field as your audience is in the car, shed, work etc.

TV: Voss
Radio: Moore

Incorrect

Coach
I agree with captwarrior - Moore and Morrow are great. I always listen to ABC so I was used to hearing Morrow all the time. But then they switched between GB and ABC so now I listen to Moore and Elliott together and they are great.

I actually prefer to listening to them call a game while sitting out the backyard on a Saturday/Sunday arvo than watching the game on he TV inside...

Morrow is very good. I also like Warren Smith.

Rabs back in the day was probably the best, although now of course he just goes on about non-sensical crap with Gould, gets players mixed up constantly and has lost a lot of the boom in his voice.

Never understood the hoopla around Voss. Seems that his popularity suddenly grew once Channel Nine gave him the flick. He's too Michael Slater-ish for me in his excitement, doesn't have a "big game" voice.

Matt Thompson is a decent up and comer.

bluefox1968

Juniors
Morrow is very good. I also like Warren Smith.

Rabs back in the day was probably the best, although now of course he just goes on about non-sensical crap with Gould, gets players mixed up constantly and has lost a lot of the boom in his voice.

Never understood the hoopla around Voss. Seems that his popularity suddenly grew once Channel Nine gave him the flick. He's too Michael Slater-ish for me in his excitement, doesn't have a "big game" voice.

Matt Thompson is a decent up and comer.

Agree - Andrew Voss is annoying.

I can't stand Rabs. I know radio people that have worked with him, and they claim he is the most arrogant man alive!

mongoose

Coach
Andrew Moore is the best. I don't mind Warren Smith but even his voice gets annoying after a while.

Voss sucks - tries too hard or something.

Thompson is ok but his voice just doesn't get you excited like Rabs.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Voss on Fox, Morrow and Moore on radio.

Never been a fan of Smith, his calling style is very predictable. Still light years better than anyone on Nine.

Is Matt Russell still calling games on Fox?

Emu01

Juniors
I have watched Rugby League for 40 years and the best commentator I have heard is Graham Hughes. His commentary in the late 80's and early 90's was unbelievable he really knew how to give the listener goose bumps whilst watching a big game..Ray Warren was excellent in his hey day of the 70's and 80's but he is a little slower now.. So I say bring back Hughes.

ek999

First Grade
Voss on Fox, Morrow and Moore on radio.

Never been a fan of Smith, his calling style is very predictable. Still light years better than anyone on Nine.

Is Matt Russell still calling games on Fox?

Morrow is a miserable old merkin. Glad he isn't on the ABC anymore so I don't need to listen to him when he is in the car

W.Smith

Juniors
Rabs and Andrew Moore

I don't mind Ginnane but usually stop listening when his co commentators Wendell/Soward/Girdler start to yell over the top of him just as a play is culminating

I find Vossy a pain in the ass constantly cracking jokes but I do like how he calls a game when not distracted with being funny and I do love his enthusiasm for the underdog

Always been a fan of Warren Smith too

Last edited:

Latest posts