What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

no name

Coach
She should not have let a situation that she may have found awkward, to being more awkward. I've been through many suggestions on what she could have done, they're back about 5 pages, I'm happy to engage with them, but I'm not repeating them now.

But I further say that Mel should not have been so uncomfortable with a compliment from someone being interviewed. Gayle did exactly what the law of a free country allows him to do, compliment a pretty girl and invite her for a drink.

And before you bring up her workplace, I repeat, they're not co-workers at the same employer. He is not her boss. Asking someone out once and complimenting them is not sexual harassment.

How can you ask someone to not react naturally?

langpark

First Grade
The next time someone tells me Australia is a 'laid back' society I am going to b**ch slap them so hard! This whole Chris Gayle thing is proof enough that it's far from laid back and now probably the most uptight, sensitive place on earth.

Hearing that Cricket Australia CEO saying "our thoughts are with Mel at this time, and we're offering her any support she needs" was the icing on the cake. As though someone has died or something. GET A GRIP GUYS!!!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Does NZ have a different definition of awkward?

Maybe. Lets use the Oxford definition just in case.

Causing difficulty; hard to do or deal with:
some awkward questions
the wheelbarrow can be awkward to manoeuvre

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS

1.1Deliberately unreasonable or uncooperative:
you’re being damned awkward!
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS

2Causing or feeling uneasy embarrassment or inconvenience:
he had put her in a very awkward position
she felt awkward alone with him

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS

3Not smooth or graceful; ungainly:
Luther’s awkward movements impeded his progress

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
3.1Uncomfortable or abnormal:
make sure the baby isn’t sleeping in an awkward position
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

Just because Gayle didn't do anything wrong or people overreacted to his comments doesn't mean that McLaughlin did something wrong.

I like many both defending Gayle and attacking Gayle are disappointed with the way Mel handled the situation.

She publicly accepted his apology and said people should move on from it.
What else do you think she should do?

Now? Now its too late for her to do anything about the interview awkwardness.

But she could ask her employer whether she can speak on her own behalf and question the reaction by Chappel and co, should she feel so minded. They may refuse her the right to do this and we would not find out for a while, however. But I doubt that they would deny her the right to do this, because she could slam them for any forced silence by them when she leaves their employ in the future.

I would like to hear her views in full on what she thinks the severity of what Gayle is, the public's reaction and what should be done moving forward. What she thinks she could have done better, if anything, how she would handle a similar situation in the future, and why something as lighthearted as a cricket sideline frivolity became so serious.

If guests and hosts are forbidden to flirt, the talk show celebrity interviews in the future are quite doomed.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The next time someone tells me Australia is a 'laid back' society I am going to b**ch slap them so hard! This whole Chris Gayle thing is proof enough that it's far from laid back and now probably the most uptight, sensitive place on earth.

Hearing that Cricket Australia CEO saying "our thoughts are with Mel at this time, and we're offering her any support she needs" was the icing on the cake. As though someone has died or something. GET A GRIP GUYS!!!

Haha.

no name

Coach
You're obviously not going to change your stance on the issue.
I do find it hilarious that you are placing blame on McLaughlin for feeling uncomfortable when she felt uncomfortable.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You're obviously not going to change your stance on the issue.
I do find it hilarious that you are placing blame on McLaughlin for feeling uncomfortable when she felt uncomfortable.

We're going round in circles.

But I further say that Mel should not have been so uncomfortable with a compliment from someone being interviewed. Gayle did exactly what the law of a free country allows him to do, compliment a pretty girl and invite her for a drink.

I have seen far more inappropriate situations handled far better by interviewers that made for good entertainment by all.

I question whether Channel 10 has the right person in Mel, doing the job. I am not convinced her personality suits sideline entertainment.

Last edited:

no name

Coach

I say that you shouldn't be offended in Mel's reaction.
Mel did exactly what the law of the country allows her to do, knock back the compliment and the invite and continue to do her job.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

You mean like how australia run frank sinatra out the country 50 years ago for saying bad things about australian female journalists ?

In the 70s what would have happened if a huge black man publicly made a smaller white woman uncomfortable do you reckon.

drago brelli

Bench
Gayle has made a complete prick of himself again in an interview with a female journo. He may be attempting to be funny. The guy's a moron.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-21/chris-gayle-controversy-female-reporter/7434746

Chris Gayle makes more lewd comments to female journalist

Chris Gayle has made lewd remarks to another female journalist in a new interview where he discusses sex and gender equality.

The Times of London's Charlotte Edwardes interviewed the West Indian in Bangalore, where he currently plays for the Royal Challengers in the Indian Premier League.

Edwardes wrote the 36-year-old boasted about having "a very, very big bat, the biggest in the wooooorld," adding: "You think you could lift it? You'd need two hands.

"He asks how many black men I've had, goading me when I deflect the question, and whether I've ever had a 't'eesome' - 'I bet you have. Tell me'," Edwardes wrote.

Gayle said 10,000 women threw themselves at him because of the fact he was "damn good-looking".

"I haven't had a shag since I been here," he said of his time playing in the IPL.

Asked if he threw himself at women, he sighed: "Your questions, you suck me dry."

Gayle also spoke about women's rights, saying in his view they enjoyed "more than equality".

"Women can do what they want. Jamaican women are very vocal. They will let you know what time is it, for sure," Gayle said.

Edwardes also asked him about sharing domestic duties.

"[If she has a baby] then she doesn't have to [cook]. We can stop and buy a meal. If she's working, then the couple share. First person home, cooks," he said.

But, Gayle added women should please their man.

"When he comes home, food is on the table. Serious. You ask your husband what he likes and then you make it," he said.

In January, Gayle caused huge controversy for asking then-Network Ten reporter Mel McLaughlin out for a drink during a live TV interview while playing for the Melbourne Renegades in the Big Bash League.

McLaughlin sat in frosty silence, to which Gayle said, "don't blush, baby".

He was fined $10,000 for his remarks, and later apologised to McLaughlin.

Three months after the incident, Gayle named his first daughter Blush

He just had a kid ??

mozza91

Coach
Maybe this will change the opinions of many who tried to defend him

The guy is an idiot with some warped views no doubt. That being said I still don't find anything wrong about what happened between him and Mel McLaughlin. It was a joke and should've been treated as that. Unfortunately the PC brigade got ahold of it, blew it completely out of proportion (as they always do) and it was dragged on forever by oversensitive cocksnaps on social media and like minded journos.

steggz

Juniors
The guy is an idiot with some warped views no doubt. That being said I still don't find anything wrong about what happened between him and Mel McLaughlin. It was a joke and should've been treated as that. Unfortunately the PC brigade got ahold of it, blew it completely out of proportion (as they always do) and it was dragged on forever by oversensitive cocksnaps on social media and like minded journos.

That's great that you didn't find anything wrong, but the woman involved (and numerous other female journos that have interviewed him) would disagree

Latest posts