What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sth-East Qld Residents (Current or former) - Feedback please

Binga

Juniors
Robina/Varsity Lakes is central to everything. There's a train station at both suburbs for a commute to Brisbane (takes about extra 15 mins from Commera). There central to everything in the coast. Get to Burleigh in under 10 minutes, pacific fair 5 mins, Broadbeach 5 mins, surfers Paradise 10 mins, Coolangatta (airport) 15 mins. Plus there a major shopping centre there and is close to get to the footy to watch your team play

Knownothing

Juniors
Avoid Coomera.

As others have said, rent first. There are some very nice locations, but generally speaking the closer you are to the beach, the costlier they are, and less suitable for young families. Plus a bit worse in terms of security.....more tourists.

I also agree that commuting to Brisbane is to be avoided.

retch

Juniors
If he goes to Lang Park for a game doesn't the GC train stop at Roma St and you walk the rest of the way or jump a train to Milton or a shuttle bus.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some southside schools are a no go...does your sister know these.

They changed the name of at least 1 for whatever reason.

One of my relos commutes from Bribie Island to the Gold Coast every day.

The house across the road from me sold for $600.000 + recently...close to the water [bay breeze] walking distance to lower school...high school a fair distance though...shopping center close by.

Add in aircon to the price of the house.

Get on realestate.com.au and start searching.

I can't comment on Coomera as I rarely go down to the GC...too many tourists and just a big hassle.

Incorrect

Coach
If he goes to Lang Park for a game doesn't the GC train stop at Roma St and you walk the rest of the way or jump a train to Milton or a shuttle bus.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some southside schools are a no go...does your sister know these.

They changed the name of at least 1 for whatever reason.

One of my relos commutes from Bribie Island to the Gold Coast every day.

The house across the road from me sold for $600.000 + recently...close to the water [bay breeze] walking distance to lower school...high school a fair distance though...shopping center close by.

Add in aircon to the price of the house.

Get on realestate.com.au and start searching.

I can't comment on Coomera as I rarely go down to the GC...too many tourists and just a big hassle.

Whereabouts are you at retch?

I've been looking at realestate.com.au for a while, a few different areas based on some of the responses here. The feedback here has been valuable. My sister in law is at Helensvale, and by her own admission it's not the greatest suburb around, but hey, I'm currently a stone's throw from suburbs in western Sydney where there are routine anti-terrorism raids and what not so what am I really worried about?!

retch

Juniors
I'm in Manly West[Brisbane].

I'm in Wynnum Manly Seagull territory but I follow Easts Tigers in the Intrust Cup. I really should be a Broncos supporter but I stick with the Tigers and I'm just a part time Broncos supporter.

The house over the road was advertised as offers over $600.000 accepted which seems to be the way with some houses now and it sold the first weekend for something like $5.000 over that.[I don't know the exact figure]

A Russian couple bought it and they have spent a fair bit of money since they moved in.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Manly West is nice. I'm in Birkdale currently. I should have stayed in the GC cause the train ride takes just as long into Brisbane.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
If they were looking at Brisbane and not the coast, north of the river is better imo. Less traffic, less dodgy areas, house prices can vary though... though for 500k you could get a pretty mint house in somewhere like Chermside (and if he got a job in Qld health, the prince charles hospital is just up the road!).

Incorrect

Coach
With regard to applying for QLD jobs from a NSW base, what are people's thoughts about disclosing current residence??

I saw one job ad which explicitly said "interstate applications will not be considered".... I'm just wondering if I'm best off ommitting that detail when applying... If I manage to get an interview, I would have to then schedule it with booking a domestick flight in mind... although hopefully a phone interview or skype would be the way it goes down...

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
personally i would include it in all applications, regardless. don't wanna start on the wrong foot with potential future employers

all you have to say is we're relocating to qld for family reasons and i'm applying for jobs with the intention of being ready to work in x weeks

Incorrect

Coach
personally i would include it in all applications, regardless. don't wanna start on the wrong foot with potential future employers

all you have to say is we're relocating to qld for family reasons and i'm applying for jobs with the intention of being ready to work in x weeks

Yeah, that's the way I've been approaching it so far....

Caped Crusader

Juniors
If they were looking at Brisbane and not the coast, north of the river is better imo. Less traffic, less dodgy areas, house prices can vary though... though for 500k you could get a pretty mint house in somewhere like Chermside (and if he got a job in Qld health, the prince charles hospital is just up the road!).

lol no you cant. Chermside will cost you much more north of $500K for something decent

You'll need to go north of Pine River if you want to spend sub $600K

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I don't think you know what you are talking about, I own a place in Chermside and Bray Park, ask me anything

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I guess I'd like to hear people's thoughts, especially anyone who has made a similar move recently. Pros/Cons etc.
IMO one the most underated areas at the north end of the Gold Coast is Coombabah. It's near the water, next to Runaway Bay which is higher in price. Coombabah had its problems but things have improved and the reputation it has isn't really relevant now.

It's still relatively cheap to buy in but I don't think that will last.

Avoid Coomera.
Depends where you're talking about. It's a big area. Coomera Waters for example has some of the most sought after properties in Qld.

On the other side of the highway Upper Coomera and Maudsland has been growing in population at an accelerating rate for the last 20 years. Large blocks, good access. Well done to those who bought in back then.

I wouldn't live there because I already have something close to town but anywhere between Helensvale and Logan is a growth area.

mongoose

Coach

Best suburbs that are still relatively cheap are around Ferny Grove imo, such as Ferny Hills, Arana Hills, Everton Hills, Kepperra. Very leafy and nice areas too. Not too far from the CBD, plus the Ferny Grove train line.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Agreed, Mitchelton isn't too bad either. Once you're over the hill though it skyrockets - the gap, ashgrove, etc. Lovely suburbs but on the high end of the scale for something nice.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I don't think you know what you are talking about, I own a place in Chermside and Bray Park, ask me anything

I have a place in Dakabin mate and looked everywhere from Chermside up for decent places sub $450k.

No chance of getting anything good for $500k in Chermside. You either bought ages ago or settled for a shit pile

Last edited:

Latest posts