What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Chasing Hastings

saintm

Juniors
It pains me to say this but I think we should even consider Carney (subject to NRL registering his contract).

And on Hastings, I like the kid. Attitude aside, he has lots of potential IMHO. I wouldn't mind having him and Bird back with the club.

And speaking of Bird, I can't believe the speed of his development. I was very sad to see him leave (and subsequently miss out on his signature again) but I doubt his accelerated growth would have occurred under Dragons systems.

Straight Shooter

If Bird had stayed he would be lucky to be playing 1st grade.Dragons have no vision, no faith when it comes to giving there juniors a chance.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If Bird had stayed he would be lucky to be playing 1st grade.Dragons have no vision, no faith when it comes to giving there juniors a chance.
Agree with this. Hard to see how Bird would have got a game under the current administration, and they would have had him focussing on defence anyway. Bird going to sharkies was probably the best thing for him.

Still, I can understand why they may have been reluctant to sign Bird long term, given they had two crocks in Kyle Stanley and Dan Hunt on the books at the time. It was the wrong decision, but I can understand why they may have made it.

Mr Red

First Grade
I don't get Hastings.... Not sure what he actually brings to the table ??
- not overly quick
- poor kicking game
- lacks organisational skills on the field

Why do we need him again ?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
It pains me to say this but I think we should even consider Carney (subject to NRL registering his contract).

And on Hastings, I like the kid. Attitude aside, he has lots of potential IMHO. I wouldn't mind having him and Bird back with the club.

And speaking of Bird, I can't believe the speed of his development. I was very sad to see him leave (and subsequently miss out on his signature again) but I doubt his accelerated growth would have occurred under Dragons systems.

Straight Shooter
Don't mind Carney. Will definitely create something on the field, you just have to accept he is going to do something really stupid after the game. Probably not worth the sponsorship angst. Hard to see the NRL having him back anyway.

Not sure about Hastings. He was on fire last year, this year he seems to be making poor decisions.

Trouble with any of these players is I have no hope they will reach their full potential under our current coach, management and game plan. What you really need is a big enough player who can sort out the game tactics and teach the coach how to play.

grouch

First Grade
- not overly quick
- poor kicking game

Because no-one else does? That's how it works

I prefer Keary because he plays straighter and is more seasoned. Having said that I believe Hastings is a potential quality half and I'd like to take him back. Classic 2nd-year syndrome sufferer at the moment, struggling with the weight of so much responsibility this year. Of course, at our club he'll be struggling far more under the weight of our shitty coaching and game plans

Lethal25

Juniors
How we end up in this position is beyond me. Nobody wants to play for McGregor clearly.

According to the Daily Telegraph all it took was a personal call from Trent Robinson to Keary and boom the kid signs.

So simple for other clubs to make things happen, we have to get McGregor off the fax machine

kit66

Bench
- not overly quick
- poor kicking game

- impulsive
- ego driven
- not a team player

We don't need him. I'd rather get Sowie back - actually, do you think we could get Sowie for the rest of the season ? Our forwards and his kicking game and speed.....yeah, that'd work.

TheRev

First Grade
According to the Daily Telegraph all it took was a personal call from Trent Robinson to Keary and boom the kid signs.

So simple for other clubs to make things happen, we have to get McGregor off the fax machine
I loathe how long it takes us to land players, I dont know whats missing in the recruitment arena, either its the blokes doing the talking or its the chain of management approving decisions.

betcats

Referee
- impulsive
- ego driven
- not a team player

We don't need him. I'd rather get Sowie back - actually, do you think we could get Sowie for the rest of the season ? Our forwards and his kicking game and speed.....yeah, that'd work.

He is slow as f**k now.

blacksafake

First Grade
- not overly quick
- poor kicking game

Sounds like he'll fit right in:lol:

giboz71

First Grade
This is a funny one.Maybe a bit of Karma with Hastings back at Dragons where he belongs.The kid always excelled in the Red and White and just maybe it is meant to be.Sign him and he will ultimately prove a quality buy,remembering he is only a lad and will get better.

Hastings has youth on his side at least. I remember it took Ben Hunt a few years to find his feet and he's gone ok. And we know he has talent. But as others have said, given recent history, I have no confidence our coaching will take him to the next level. If we do get him, I'd be hiring a halves coach to mentor him.

I'd also be thinking of a replacement for Widdop in the long term unless he significantly picks up his game. Bird would be my target as he's shown a willingness to come back.

A halves pairing of Bird and Hastings in 2018 - that would be a turn up for the books.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Looking at players that are off contract in 2017, I'd like to see the Dragons go after in no order:

Shaun Johnson
Jack Bird
Ash Taylor

I know it's a while away but I'd be happy to have a make shift half (Hutch/Benji) for a year if it meant we could land one of the above. I also know our chances are slim but I'd like to see them at least have a go to get a decent half....

BennyV

Referee

Lol can you imagine Mary making phone calls trying to recruit?

*phone rings*
Keary: Hello?
Mary: Hi Luke, it's Paul McGregor from the mighty Dragons
Keary: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Mary: Luke, we'd like to offer you a spot in our team from next year
Mary: We are building a solid team unit on the back of our D and our attacking structures are due to pay dividends as we push to core upwards of 3 tries in a match

rainman44

Bench
Lol can you imagine Mary making phone calls trying to recruit?

*phone rings*
Keary: Hello?
Mary: Hi Luke, it's Paul McGregor from the mighty Dragons
Mary: Luke, we'd like to offer you a spot in our team from next year
Mary: We are building a solid team unit on the back of our D and our attacking structures are due to pay dividends as we push to core upwards of 3 tries in a match

:lol:

St Georgio

Juniors
Looking at players that are off contract in 2017, I'd like to see the Dragons go after in no order:

Shaun Johnson
Jack Bird
Ash Taylor

I know it's a while away but I'd be happy to have a make shift half (Hutch/Benji) for a year if it meant we could land one of the above. I also know our chances are slim but I'd like to see them at least have a go to get a decent half....

That makes real sense, thats why we will not get any of these players.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I think our biggest issue with our spine at present is that the strength of all 4 players (Rein, Marshall, Widdop & Dugan) is their running game. For all 4 players their first instinct is to run. I think Hastings fits into that same mould (an example was when we played Roosters and he chose to run the ball against us despite a 2 man overlap).

In terms of the dynamic or our attack I think he offers no more than Marshall at this stage of his career. Keary was by far the better option for us. Even McCrone makes our attack look sharper IMO with his ability to organise, plus he adds a bit more polish to the ends of our sets with his kicking game (not that the standard is set overly high by Widdop).