What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Crucial selection battles

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cam is 23 while Cook is 26 this year, i struggle to understand why people are under the impression that Cook has a bigger future compared to Cam. Cook's future is now!
I'm not saying we should get Cam back as i don't believe he suited our style but i do not want Cook in our best 17, i don't believe he is best 17 material and if you were to look at the top sides in the NRL you would find he wouldn't be anywhere near their best 17.
Cam tackles well but that's it.

Cook has far more artillery than that.

Cook should be on our bench. He goes well.

In fact I hope he has a blinder in the CS and starts over Robbie. I wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

Re McTortoise a club that accepts mediocrity has taken him. If only we could send Tyrrell to the Merge.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Farah is a noted & highly successful 80 min. No. 9.

We do not need to carry an 85kg player like Cook who basically has no impact off the bench.A waste it would be!!!

Gee,I wish we had a genuine big ball-playing forward. Sutton is our most skilful forward but does he still have what it takes.

Going on last year's effort it appears that his better days are long gone!!

Cherrington may surprise in this dept.but I'm not holding my breath.
Cook adds another dimension that is needed. You really underrate Cook and even if he has blinders this season you'd still post like he's a dud.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yes it does matter actually. It's quite obvious Cam wasn't wanted and he would have just been playing at Norths if he stayed. Cam didn't suit our style of play. Can was given time to improve and didn't. When Cook came in at the back end of the season he showed more spark, energy, a crisp efficient passing game and got the pack rolling forward.

McTurtle would not have developed anymore. He had many chances developing under Issac and the proof was on the pudding in that he didn't lift when Issac moved on. In fact he has gone backwards. The fact he's worth $470 something thousand in the Fantasy game is laughable and he would be my last choice to be in my fantasy team.

He got too many chances imo. In the end he majorly disappointed like I said all along, hence Richo Gotye broom out and swept him to that basket case that is St Merge where he will belong as Doust accepts mediocrity there.

I was speaking to a good mate today who goes for the Dragons and he's horrified not just that they don't have a half but he's bewildered as to why dud Cam is there, he said Cam is one of the worst options for starting hooker in the comp.

Cook will learn and thrive I predict and will be our long term hooker. He will learn off Robbie. Imo Cook has far more upside and potential to explode into greatness than what McTortoise does.

I know for a fact from reading Dragons sites that most of their members would rather have had Cook.

Stop calling him an up and comer, how long are we going to use that as an excuse word. Up and comer my arse, he's not reaching any heights whatsoever.

Cook has said he asked for the release so Souths would offer him a longer term deal. That's exactly what I'd have done too. Madge has realised we have a bright future with Damien.

The fact it's still undecided as to who our hooker will be in round 1 is a credit to Damien.

If McTortoise was still with us there would be a zero percent chance of him starting over Robbie.
I'll take your last paragraph to answer your first. Yes it's almost certain that Farah would be in 1st grade over Mcinnes ( similar to cook). That's why Mcinnes decided to leave, to keep playing 1st grade. Cook seems to be OK with being number 2. Richo can't magically make a player leave if he doesn't want to. If that was true then why the hell is Dane Nelsen still at the club
You say a bloke who just turned 23 last fortnight has no improvement? That's one of the most ludacris things you've said, and that's saying a lot. Name one hooker outside of Smith and Luke who was a premier hooker at 22?. Micheal ennis was a fringe first grader in his early years at the knights, dragons and broncos. It wasn't until his last year at the broncos when he was 24 that people noticed he was a decent hooker. Jake Friend was seen as an Achilles heel at the roosters, until he had a breakout year 2013 as a 23 year old. When peats left us as a 23 year old not many souths fans were dissapointed. When he was available last year, everyone hoped we could somehow sign him back. Robbie Farah wasn't good enough for origin until he was 25. He was dropped after 1 game and didn't get back until he was 28. McCullough wasn't noticed as a key broncos player until 2015 when he was 25. The list goes on . You can't right off a hooker at 22 as being no hope.
Again we have a story of a 'mate' who agrees completely 100 percent with your argument. It's bizarre you never have a mate that disagrees with you.
The reason he's worth $470k is that despite your accusations that he is completely hopeless, he somehow gets good stats. In fact he had one of the top 5 fantasy games of any player last year. This is built on defence, a part of the game I'm 100% sure you close eyes for. Again stats only tell some of the story. I concede Mcinnes has flaws, but being so young he has time to fix them.
You have bizarre limits of loyalty. You regularly run down players who delivered our 21st premiership, who go about their business with no fuss, while idolising players who didn't help who have asked for releases on more then 1 occasion. Tyrrell had to be sacked for putting his hands near his hips at training, as that was a cancer that could seriously harm the club , but cook threatening a release to get more money out of the club was fantastic and a great sign of loyalty

Travitoh

First Grade
I would like to know who all these supporters were who wish they had Cook and who they support because i have not met one. Even the Bulldogs preferred Lichaa over Cook.

callmack1

Staff member
We don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I'm not saying he is, but Tyrrell could be in for a huge season, apparently he's had a great pre season and he could genuinly be the best option. Who knows? I personally think he's a bit past it sadly but anyway.

Same goe's for Cook. Sounds like he's been training well and he could deserve to be there.

Let's just let the footy do the talking and put this issue to bed aye? We know where everyone stands.

southsport

First Grade
Ch10 news interviewed both Cook and Farah, they are pushing each other and each will get 40 mins on Sunday.

doyen

Bench
I believe Richo told him he could go as we had Cook who took his chance and shone after McTurtle was finally dumped.

McTurtle wasn't in our future plans as he is mediocre and doesn't get the forwards rolling forwards as his passing game is slow and he takes too long to pick the ball up. Our opponents were laughing as they were already 5-6 metres up before he's even picked the ball up. He didn't play with any direction either.

Cook is quick to pick the ball up and has energy. He plays with direction and gets the forwards rolling forward.

Our pack is far more confident when there is a hooker who doesn't give turtle/tortoise reserve grade service.

Cook is being loyal to Souths which is great. He will be challenging Robbie too for the 9. I strongly believe Cook will be a regular on the bench. Madge also obviously convinced Cook to stay. Farah may only be with us 1 season and then Cook has the poosition long term.

I think it will be a POOsition for Sths if Zeroman is ever in the No.9 permanently!!

doyen

Bench
Cook adds another dimension that is needed. You really underrate Cook and even if he has blinders this season you'd still post like he's a dud.

I've never been disrespectful enough to openly call any Sths player a DUD. They are all NRL players & at least should be exempt from the dreaded DUD classification!!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
I think maguire replaced his long term option for hooker (mcinnes) for a short term option because he was under pressure for results and couldn't wait for Mcinnes to develop. If cook was a viable long term 1st grade option then I don't think you get in Farah. You'd go with cook, and keep Mcinnes ( who is still young and developing) as a back up. Farah was brought in to replace Mcinnes (who'll now be 1st choice at another club) while cook stays as a 2nd stringer

mcinnes is a dud and will develop into being a worser dud as years go by look at api korosau or cook they dont need time to develop they are already 1st grade material all this about let mcinnes develop is bs talk dream talking stuff for gods sake he aint got it now or next year or any given year in the future unless he is playing behind a top 4 team then he will go well behind a stacked side. dud mcturtle wont come back and haunt souths dylan walker will and already has at least dwalkz can score tries from anywhere on the park mcinnes cant lol..Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Doesn't matter if Richie told him to go. Mcinnes was contracted for next season.

Mcinnes wasn't ever in our plans for the future? He was a captain of the under 20s, he had been getting games since 2014, and played 19 games last year. None of that would have happened if the club hadn't seen him as a future prospect.

If Cook showed enough to be a starter last year, why did the club follow through with the Farah signing? If cook was as great as you've made out it would make more sense to keep him as our first choice and have a young and up-comer like mcinnes as back-up. Would give Mcinnes extra time to fulfil the promise the club saw in him. Instead we had to sign an aging state of origin player.

Cook is loyal to Souths even Tho he reportedly asked for more then 1 release during last season. If you want the definition of a loyal player look at someone like Dave Tyrrell.

Your Dreaming mate just ask R20 he knows.....

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Cam tackles well but that's it.

Cook has far more artillery than that.

Cook should be on our bench. He goes well.

In fact I hope he has a blinder in the CS and starts over Robbie. I wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

Re McTortoise a club that accepts mediocrity has taken him. If only we could send Tyrrell to the Merge.
no no no no no tyrrell,clark and turner to the merge

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I would like to know who all these supporters were who wish they had Cook and who they support because i have not met one. Even the Bulldogs preferred Lichaa over Cook.

You go up to any supporter and ask them if they think cook is a good player I guarantee they'll say yes. That's such bs most Bulldogs fans are spewing they let go of cook. Lichaa is on the verge of getting dropped. There's a reason the premiers were after cook and not McInnes LOL.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Ahh shadow, I should ignore you but you are on the same delusion juice as r20. Api and cook didn't need to develop? Api didn't debut until he was 21. In his first year in 1st at Souths he was a reserve grader. In 2015 he was 22 and couldn't nail down a spot at the panthers. Last year he was 23 at the eagles, a 3rd club in as many years and was again was in and out of 1st grade.
Cook debuted as a 22 year old at at George, where he was let go. Dragons preferred guys like Mitch rein. As a 23/24 year old he was at the bulldogs behind lichaa. Again he was mainly in reserve grade with the very occasional NrL game. He joined Souths and on his 25th birthday he had still failed to nail down a 1st grade spot. Both Api and cook have had time to develop, and with them turning 25 & 26 this year neither has completely nailed down a 1st grade spot. Yet Mcinnes is supposed to be the complete nrl player before he's turned 23, and now that he has, last week, there is zero Chance he'll improve. God there are some stupid people I here but that takes the cake.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ahh shadow, I should ignore you but you are on the same delusion juice as r20. Api and cook didn't need to develop? Api didn't debut until he was 21. In his first year in 1st at Souths he was a reserve grader. In 2015 he was 22 and couldn't nail down a spot at the panthers. Last year he was 23 at the eagles, a 3rd club in as many years and was again was in and out of 1st grade.
Cook debuted as a 22 year old at at George, where he was let go. Dragons preferred guys like Mitch rein. As a 23/24 year old he was at the bulldogs behind lichaa. Again he was mainly in reserve grade with the very occasional NrL game. He joined Souths and on his 25th birthday he had still failed to nail down a 1st grade spot. Both Api and cook have had time to develop, and with them turning 25 & 26 this year neither has completely nailed down a 1st grade spot. Yet Mcinnes is supposed to be the complete nrl player before he's turned 23, and now that he has, last week, there is zero Chance he'll improve. God there are some stupid people I here but that takes the cake.

Api has struggled significantally with mental and physical demons.

alien

Referee
Oh let's get excited lol, Tyrrell is in the front row. Geez he's gonna be good and do the shit work. NOT!!!!!!

I spoke to my Dragons mate today and I told him we are starting Tyrrell in the front row. My mate said that's hilarious and surely he will be dumped to reserve grade.
it's only a trial game. he might only play the first 20 mins.

Latest posts