What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I don't know. Five-Eighths just always seem to be bigger than their halfback partners. Lewis and Langer, Daley and Stuart, Fittler and Johns, Kenny and Sterling.

Your listing players from a bygone era when 5/8's still played as 2nd receivers. In the modern game half and 5/8 generally play as left and right.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Because contract uncertainty messes with the players' heads and disrupts their game. If he knows he needs to find a new club next year he can concentrate on trying to play well enough to impress the market.

Widdop's manager is already on the record saying he will test his value on the open market.

blacksafake

First Grade
Let's see how open that market is for him, he may be in for a rude shock
Sure his form is way down at the moment but i dont think he''ll have any trouble finding a club should he leave.
There are some smart coaches(unlike ours) out there who would imo find a spot for him

Lethal25

Juniors
Sure his form is way down at the moment but i dont think he''ll have any trouble finding a club should he leave.
There are some smart coaches(unlike ours) out there who would imo find a spot for him
I have no doubt he'll land a contract, I think the size of the contract won't be what he may expect. He'll be lucky to earn more than where he's at now IMO

Lethal25

Juniors
i.e. headed for early retirement.
Nah, a club like the Tigers may need a replacement for Moses. Even poor old Newcastle may extend an offer

I just think the money on offer will not be as much as some of the better halves would receive

Glenn01

Juniors
I have a high opinion of Field. In my opinion he is a versatile and talented player who would be an asset to the first grade side at 1, 2, 6, 7 or 14.
I have a high opinion of Field based on what I have seen so far but I feel we need at least one half who doesn't rely on speed or evasive ability but take the ball to the line. Hunt will do it next year and I think Field has that ability but with his build, he will get absolutely smashed.
He is tall enough that he will have no trouble packing on more weight and still remain as fast and elusive as he is or get even faster and add the ability to bust through tackles. He just needs more time. Give him some time playing 80min for the Cutters at first.

I went to the dentist last week. I went in for what I suspected was gum disease. That turned out to be unfounded but they found a small cavity. She assured me I should get it fixed now even if it wasn't causing problems. The moral of the story is that the term "short-term pain for long-term gain" isn't just a cliche.

Mann and McCrone can play halves. They may not be great (though I think everyone on this forum wants Mann to be given a chance in the halves) but better for now.

Glenn01

Juniors
Nah, a club like the Tigers may need a replacement for Moses. Even poor old Newcastle may extend an offer

I just think the money on offer will not be as much as some of the better halves would receive
Maybe but I don't think so. We will see soon enough. If he doesn't improve soon I don't even think he will get an offer from the ESL. If you watched the games on the weekend, you can be sure he won't get an offer from Wigan or Warrington.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Maybe but I don't think so. We will see soon enough. If he doesn't improve soon I don't even think he will get an offer from the ESL. If you watched the games on the weekend, you can be sure he won't get an offer from Wigan or Warrington.

Unfortunately I think he will stay at 5/8 till Hunt arrives that's the way I think their thinking......the way the powers to be think they are unlikely to move Marshall and Widdop within the first 12 months.......I for one hope Widdop comes good but I'm starting to have serious doubts...for starters they need to unload the captaincy from his shoulders..then we will see I guess

Crush

Coach
I think it is impossible to get any indication of how field will go after only 40 minutes of football where he was starved of any possession due to widdopulous.
I would give him the whole season as starting 5/8. Let him learn the game and get used to the pace/size of nrl this year without any expectations.
Let him make mistakes, let him grow.
Nothing to lose provided his body copes with the workload.
Then next year when he is working in combination with a proper world class half back he will have already played 26 rounds and will be beginning to establish himself.

Vinnie

Juniors
Probably used wrongly (as usual) i would have played him from the start when everyone still feeling their way and adapting, given him more ball and a license to roam, created space for him (not sure if they know how to do that) Try to force the lead and play from in front, then bring Mcrone on with his so called experience to settle the ship and hold the lead but hey what do i know.
I still think let him play blood him and get him used to first grade. I would let Widdop go and settle for Hunt/Field as our halves could be a deadly combination. But field needs experience and game time and now's the time to do it, because really we haven't got anything else !!!

possm

Coach
I think it is impossible to get any indication of how field will go after only 40 minutes of football where he was starved of any possession due to widdopulous.
I would give him the whole season as starting 5/8. Let him learn the game and get used to the pace/size of nrl this year without any expectations.
Let him make mistakes, let him grow.
Nothing to lose provided his body copes with the workload.
Then next year when he is working in combination with a proper world class half back he will have already played 26 rounds and will be beginning to establish himself.
Great idea! Anything is better than a Widdop / McCrone halves combination. At least Field would be ready to partner Hunt in 2018 under your suggestion. Maybe Mann will eventually get a run in the halves as well.

dragons girl

Juniors
Give the kid a chance and hand him the starting no 7 for season. He would handle it frizzell could cover him in defense and widdop can have his last season in no 6. Field could be our next slippery morris and will be ready for next year when ben hunt arrives with a full season in the nrl.
We are at the stage now where caution has to be thrown to the wind.Give Field and Mann a go.Widdop hopefully will not be resigned.But as we know Mary will go with the SAFE option which will be hard to watch

Maxwell

Juniors
So amongst all this Charity Shield chat, I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about what people thought of how Jai went.

I wish that he got his hands on the ball more, Widdop kept calling for it on the left and starved the poor kid of early ball. Regardless of that, what do we think, did he do enough to push McCrone out of the 7 and claim the spot for his own? Would you have him in the side?
Tom, It wouldn't matter if he had of got the ball first every set of 6, McDickhead is going to give the job to McCrone, no one else really got a decent go at all . He should have used McCrone as back up hooker and played Nona, Mann and Field in both games giving them plenty of time, they are what they say trial matches so rest Widdop and use the other 3 in the halves, just my opinion

possm

Coach
This season we need to explore our options in order to know whether to buy a five-eighth / fullback or not. However, first stop is announcing our new coach and including his input into the conversation.

If Mann shines or if Field shines we may be able to fill the 6 spot internally. Or maybe we use the 1m+ saved by letting Dugan and Widdop go to buy a partner for Hunt or a top line fullback.

We need to move as soon as possible in order not to limit our opportunities.

ALSGI

Bench
I have a high opinion of Field. In my opinion he is a versatile and talented player who would be an asset to the first grade side at 1, 2, 6, 7 or 14.
Totally agree Possm.

I do understand why most posters are talking about more time in Cutters against men but I think he'd gain far more development playing against men in FG in any of the spots listed above.

He should imo be given a red hot crack in FG now for at least several games. Then and only then should a decision be made on more time in Cutters.

I'm glad people aren't talking about his age anymore like they were (9's and trials proved that was nonsense) but still annoyed that his size is being talked about because that's also nonsense imo. Yes I agree he could (and will be) better, bigger and stronger with time but his only obstacle to FG right now should be ability and with the little we've all seen of him he has bucket loads perhaps only equalled by Dufty from our juniors.

Ideally, he would have a season of playing FG men when HUNT arrives in November,

possm

Coach
Totally agree Possm.

I do understand why most posters are talking about more time in Cutters against men but I think he'd gain far more development playing against men in FG in any of the spots listed above.

He should imo be given a red hot crack in FG now for at least several games. Then and only then should a decision be made on more time in Cutters.

I'm glad people aren't talking about his age anymore like they were (9's and trials proved that was nonsense) but still annoyed that his size is being talked about because that's also nonsense imo. Yes I agree he could (and will be) better, bigger and stronger with time but his only obstacle to FG right now should be ability and with the little we've all seen of him he has bucket loads perhaps only equalled by Dufty from our juniors.

Ideally, he would have a season of playing FG men when HUNT arrives in November,
Well said!!!!

RufusRex

Post Whore
I like the look of him .. I think that he would be a traditional style 5/8 popping up outside a half on either side of the field. He looks like he wants to go looking for the ball and run it. I think he would actually compliment McCrone quite well. McCrone will move the pack around and will give the ball in decent time/space to Field.

I think though that the pace of the game found field out and he was belted quite frequently. he was great in getting up and did find some space at times. I like the idea of 4 rounds in the cutters. They will belt him but the game being a little slower is a good step between the touch footy of the 20s and the rigour of 1st grade.

Round 5 my spine would be Dugan/Field/McCrone/McInnes and Havili on the bench. Widdop can please f**k off.