What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoonwatch 2017

Knight76

Juniors
2 rounds in now and the race for the spoon is well underway.

The Knights won the last two and are working towards avoiding the dreaded three-peat but can they do it?

I figured we should have a thread for commenting on the race to the bottom lol.

So far, after two rounds we have the Bulldogs, Titans, Raiders and Sea Eagles on zero points.

Of the teams on 2 points probably the Knights and Dragons are the most likely contenders for the bottom. Any teams off to a flyer that you reckon are still a chance of taking the spoon home?

Who's going to win it?

Nice open field this year.

Newcastle red hot faves but Manly, Tigers, Titans and St George are a couple of injuries/crisis away from stealing it off themz

Charlie124

First Grade
I reckon the smart money is on the Titans or Sea Eagles. The Knights are young but they've looked good in both games this year and i can see them avoiding the spoon fairly comfortably (10th to 13th maybe).

AJB1102

First Grade
Might have got on the Titans a year early in 2016. Be scrambling to name 21 possibles by Tuesday.

Long way to go yet though. Still got Origin and the inevitable scandals to come yet.

Knight76

Juniors
Manly look like a real chance to grab their first wooden spoon. They are terrible already and I can't see anyone coming in to make them improve.

A story to rival the sharks feat last year.

I'm not convinced they are spoon quality though.

Still got Origin and the inevitable scandals to come yet.

We were smart this year and got our scandal out of the way before round 1.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I don't think the Knights will get it. They have impressed in the last 2 weeks and should see themselves win 7-8 games.

The smart money is on the titans. Manly will challenge until Barrett is sacked in about round 10 and form there they will do enough to avoid it.

In terms of last year's finishing order, Canberra are the smokey's. They probably have too much quality to get it but they looked awful on Saturday and if injuries continue they will be close to bottom 4.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I don't think the Knights will get it. They have impressed in the last 2 weeks and should see themselves win 7-8 games.

The smart money is on the titans. Manly will challenge until Barrett is sacked in about round 10 and form there they will do enough to avoid it.

In terms of last year's finishing order, Canberra are the smokey's. They probably have too much quality to get it but they looked awful on Saturday and if injuries continue they will be close to bottom 4.

and yet they were brilliant in defeat the week before against the cows in Townsville so they have already shown they have the cattle to challenge anyone if they turn up with their heads on.

anyone tipping the Raiders for the bottom 4 after 2 rounds
has NFI
none !! : )

McNulty

Juniors
Has any team ever won it in FG, NSW Cup and u20s in the same year?

Still early days though the Bulldogs are 0/2 in all 3 grades

and yet they were brilliant in defeat the week before against the cows in Townsville so they have already shown they have the cattle to challenge anyone if they turn up with their heads on.

anyone tipping the Raiders for the bottom 4 after 2 rounds
has NFI
none !! : )

Rickys teams have a history of having one good season under him and then falling away..... dramatically.

In 2004 the chooks made the GF and despite retaining a strong roster they finished 9th the following year and then a shocking 14th in 2006 resulting in him getting sacked.

In 2008 the Sharks finished equal 1st and made the prelim. In 2009 they finished 15th with largely the same squad and he walked mid 2010 after sustaining similar results.

Then he made the genius move of telling half the Parra squad they were unwanted and was surprised when they played shit.

The ongoing theme is that his intensity is "too much" for the playing group. You had your good year and while I think the spoon is a long shot, I wouldnt rule out a really dud year and being trounced at home might be the first sign of a few things fraying.

So before you go shooting your mouth off about having NFI maybe you should look in the mirror champ.

Clifferd

Coach
It's round 2 but Manly look shot already. I would've said Souffs but they actually played pretty good without Inglis

I still think the Knights just lack that bit of depth that they will need to avoid the spoon.

Yes, they've looked good the first two weeks and played with a lot of heart but they have a pretty average lineup at best and they're really only one or two injuries away from having a terrible team.

Hate to say it because I don't mind the knights but I think they're still a couple of quality players short as a squad and I think that lack of depth will get them in the end.

In saying that, by all reports Manly are a hairs breadth away from imploding. Manly the Dogs and Dragons will all probably sack their coaches before the year is out as well so those three clubs could really be anything. But I think Dogs and Dragons probably just have enough quality in their rosters to avoid the spoon and Manly will arse their way out of it as Manly usually do.

I still think the Knights just lack that bit of depth that they will need to avoid the spoon.

Yes, they've looked good the first two weeks and played with a lot of heart but they have a pretty average lineup at best and they're really only one or two injuries away from having a terrible team.

Hate to say it because I don't mind the knights but I think they're still a couple of quality players short as a squad and I think that lack of depth will get them in the end.

In saying that, by all reports Manly are a hairs breadth away from imploding. Manly the Dogs and Dragons will all probably sack their coaches before the year is out as well so those three clubs could really be anything. But I think Dogs and Dragons probably just have enough quality in their rosters to avoid the spoon and Manly will arse their way out of it as Manly usually do.

This is about it. The Newcastle squad is NSW cup level and their plucky performances are a credit to Nathan Brown. Any fair dinkum team should dispose of them with ease and I think that after meeting some quality opposition their resolve will fray.

Incorrect

Coach

Surely the Dragons can't be far away from announcing Cleary as coach for 2018. Unless Fulton and Manly can swallow their pride and sneak in first? Then you've got the Dogs who might also look at Cleary which could see Des back at Manly perhaps?

Dragons need to act fast IMO. It's plain as day that Mary is not going to be there long term - in the interests of recruitment for 2018, they need to make a call. I know it will be a distration for this year but it was always unlikely they were going to be contending anyway...

I think Cleary and Hasler will have gigs somewhere next year respectively, but there will almost certainly be another vacancy - Toovey might get it? Or is Kevin "Ruddradder" Walters still looking for an NRL gig?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Rickys teams have a history of having one good season under him and then falling away..... dramatically.

In 2004 the chooks made the GF and despite retaining a strong roster they finished 9th the following year and then a shocking 14th in 2006 resulting in him getting sacked.

In 2008 the Sharks finished equal 1st and made the prelim. In 2009 they finished 15th with largely the same squad and he walked mid 2010 after sustaining similar results.

Then he made the genius move of telling half the Parra squad they were unwanted and was surprised when they played shit.

The ongoing theme is that his intensity is "too much" for the playing group. You had your good year and while I think the spoon is a long shot, I wouldnt rule out a really dud year and being trounced at home might be the first sign of a few things fraying.

So before you go shooting your mouth off about having NFI maybe you should look in the mirror champ.

only time will tell
one poor performance is not the end of our season

Lambretta

First Grade
Manly look like a real chance to grab their first wooden spoon. They are terrible already and I can't see anyone coming in to make them improve.

Getting rid of Geoff Toovey to bring in Trent Barrett
Was there ever a more stupid coaching move?

Pete Cash

Post Whore

The raiders are historically inconsistent since the nrl era began (some would say mediocre is more accurate ) but we got belted by the sharks at home early last year too