What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt's dissallowed try

Vozzy

Juniors
The thing is the ref that was right there was fine with it and it was until hunt had put ball down that he called it forward so obviously someone else made the call but surely him being that close can over call someone in his ear.

Paullyboy

Coach
This decision pretty much balanced itself within the same game. There were two shocking penalties that the Broncos got when they really needed them for bizarre innocuous reasons that could only be attributed to the referee thinking one was due.

I completely agree the forward pass was a howler, and directly wiped a try off the board so it's worse. But one of those phantom penalties resulted in a try off the corresponding set, so it is in fact balanced out.

Plus - Hunt deserved to be pulled up for his post-"try" antics.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I guess one was the tackle off the ball? that was bizzare.

The runner had gone past the ball at that stage. I think if that's the case, you are fair game to be grabbed.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Or keeping score is silly and there's nothing wrong with call a spade a spade.

This wasn't some line-ball call, this was a really poor decision and the officials should be held accountable for it.

Asking seriously - what happened to the touchy who allowed the forward pass that got Brisbane a try against the Cowboys a feww weeks back?

blaza88z

Coach
The NRL has come out and said it was the incorrect decision, which is great after the game.. obviously we won comfortably so it's not going to bother us but it will cost teams a valuable 2 points if it continues to happen, pretty sure it's already happened to Penrith

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The NRL has come out and said it was the incorrect decision, which is great after the game.. obviously we won comfortably so it's not going to bother us but it will cost teams a valuable 2 points if it continues to happen, pretty sure it's already happened to Penrith

So Brisbane have had one forward pass ruling go thier way, and the other against.

Cool.

Big Pete

Referee
Asking seriously - what happened to the touchy who allowed the forward pass that got Brisbane a try against the Cowboys a feww weeks back?

Good question, Michael Wise was the touch judge and it appears he was stood down for a week after that performance, only to return in Round 4 for the Tigers v Storm game.

Whoever made the call last night whether it was MacFarlane, Butler or even Suttor should be held responsible.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Good question, Michael Wise was the touch judge and it appears he was stood down for a week after that performance, only to return in Round 4 for the Tigers v Storm game.

Whoever made the call last night whether it was MacFarlane, Butler or even Suttor should be held responsible.

Yeah, if the touchy from that game (and the Penrith one) was stood down, then someone should cool their heels from last night too.

myrrh ken

First Grade

Not good enough. Ref needs to be demoted for a week. No excuse in not overruling that given he was about 50cm from the action.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Problem being, video ref can't rule on forward passes.

Fix that issue then you may be able to look at this.

No reason a challenge system can't. I don't know the system but we have to be able to get these decisions right. Whether it be Brisbane, Penrith, Manly, Roosters, etc. Whoever. We have to be able to get these decisions right.

2 challenges per half. You can challenge anything. If you are wrong, it's a penalty against your side.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
No reason a challenge system can't. I don't know the system but we have to be able to get these decisions right. Whether it be Brisbane, Penrith, Manly, Roosters, etc. Whoever. We have to be able to get these decisions right.

2 challenges per half. You can challenge anything. If you are wrong, it's a penalty against your side.

So you are saying the video ref can rule on forward passes for a captains challenge, but not when reviewing normally as is the current format?

Riiiiggggghhhhhht.

And I know you aren't saying this from a purely Bronco's persective.

lockyno1

Post Whore
So you are saying the video ref can rule on forward passes for a captains challenge, but not when reviewing normally as is the current format?

Riiiiggggghhhhhht.

And I know you aren't saying this from a purely Bronco's persective.

I don't see why a video ref can't rule on passes period, so long as they are blatantly obvious. I would have no issues with them doing so whether it's a try awarded or a captains challenge.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I don't see why a video ref can't rule on passes period, so long as they are blatantly obvious. I would have no issues with them doing so whether it's a try awarded or a captains challenge.

Mate I agree. But my point was they don't and seem not likely to change it. In light of that they can'y captains challenge either.

davi

Juniors
This decision pretty much balanced itself within the same game. There were two shocking penalties that the Broncos got when they really needed them for bizarre innocuous reasons that could only be attributed to the referee thinking one was due.

I completely agree the forward pass was a howler, and directly wiped a try off the board so it's worse. But one of those phantom penalties resulted in a try off the corresponding set, so it is in fact balanced out.

Plus - Hunt deserved to be pulled up for his post-"try" antics.

Yeah but was Latrell Mitchell going for the ball or looking to put a cheap shot on Ben Hunt? I'm kind of in two minds about it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah but was Latrell Mitchell going for the ball or looking to put a cheap shot on Ben Hunt? I'm kind of in two minds about it.

Watching that replay, Latrell Mitchell was going for the ball, the way Hunt was carrying it and had not grounded it, it looks like Latrell swung his arm in to knock the ball out, I cant see a cheap shot there.

Latest posts