What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 Rounds In; Here We Go

Rob Dragon

Juniors
If someone had of said to me after the Charity Shield that we would be 6-2 after 8 rounds I would have asked them to have a psychiatrist assessment. In short we have been wonderful.

We were so brave today but a loss like this is crushing. So much effort and such defensive bravery and no points to show. We are bloody battered and now we play back to back games against our nemesis the Storm and last year's premiers who have found some groove. We will find out a real lot about where we really sit in the next 2 weeks. Most teams who play in a game like today are pretty flat for the next game. And we will be without Widdop. Just watch how well the Roosters go next week as well. They are battered. The difference is that they are singing songs and having beers. We are showering in cold water and the dressing room is eerily quiet.

So the real test comes in the next 2 games. If we win one of these then we finish Round 10 with a 7-3 ratio which is very pleasing' whereas 6-4 starts to sound like we are a mid-table club this year at best. Seat belts on folks!

ozbuck

Juniors
TBH, I think we're really going to struggle in the coming weeks without Widdop. I mean, REEEALLY struggle to win a game. Maybe some will think I'm being pessimistic, but we didn't look like scoring a point in that second half. Only an freakish solo effort jagged a try. Our kicking game lacked any creativity, and there were some inexperienced decisions at crucial moments.

I hope that opinion is 100% wrong, but I feel its going to be a tough slog.

Minh

First Grade
We look likely to be without Widdop and common sense would say we will do mighty well to even jag one of those two games...

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We look likely to be without Widdop and common sense would say we will do mighty well to even jag one of those two games...
You may be right Minh but Im looking at it a little differently....yes Widdop is a huge loss but we showed that we can still be competative without him.....we hung in there till golden point when The Roosters could have easily run away with the game.....Im thinking if The Warriors get up tonite it will put a huge dent in them (Storm) for the Gong on Sunday...lets wait and see

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
You may be right Minh but Im looking at it a little differently....yes Widdop is a huge loss but we showed that we can still be competative without him.....we hung in there till golden point when The Roosters could have easily run away with the game.....Im thinking if The Warriors get up tonite it will put a huge dent in them for the Gong on Sunday...lets wait and see

I hope so BSE...

Prometheus

Juniors
Remember when the "real test" was going to be when we had to play Manly in Brookevale? Then the "real test" was going to be if we could beat the Cowboys. Following that win the "real test" became the Roosters on ANZAC Day. Now that we've held our own (despite losing) in a tough match against one of the competition front-runners, the "real test" is our next game against Melbourne.

When will fans stop looking for chances to declare that our success has just been an extraordinary series of flukes, and accept that we are a good team, deserving of our wins.

mickeylane

Bench
Would be very surprised if we beat Storm, Warriors, Sharks without WIDDOP - only good news is that even if we drop all 3 games we will still be firmly entrenched in the top 8 w bye to come..

mickeylane

Bench
Remember when the "real test" was going to be when we had to play Manly in Brookevale? Then the "real test" was going to be if we could beat the Cowboys. Following that win the "real test" became the Roosters on ANZAC Day. Now that we've held our own (despite losing) in a tough match against one of the competition front-runners, the "real test" is our next game against Melbourne.

When will fans stop looking for chances to declare that our success has just been an extraordinary series of flukes, and accept that we are a good team, deserving of our wins.
Agree 100%

St Georgio

Juniors
I just cannot believe after the Drama of whether Gaz was going or staying, this happens, gee there are some strong NRL witches out there, I pray to the good gods that gaz makes a speedy recovery ready to take on the Warriors!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yesterday confirmed they are a great side this year and their attitude is pretty impressive. You cannot question the commitment they make to each game and how hard they play for each other. Great team spirit. And all this talk about Mary being a $hite coach, well if you compare how the Panthers are playing and Saints these guys are playing for their coach where as Panthers are playing to get their sacked by the looks of things. Mary has really turned things around big time.

If ANY team not just Saints lost their key playmaker against a competition favourite they would struggle not just Saints. Take Cronk from Storm mid way, Thurston, Pearce, Maloney, Adam Reynolds, Mbye.....Umm maybe not Mbye, he is rubbish, they actually go better when he is off but back to the point those teams would struggle. Harder for Saints because they have McCrone and he is not a natural playmaker. Tries hard and credit it to him but against a top 4 side it is a huge ask.

What amazed me is the 2016 Saints would just go through the motions and grind away and be happy not to lose by much. The 2017 Dragons were just popping the ball nearly every tackle trying to create second phase play. That was great to see. They took risks because they believed they can win it not just hold on and limit the damage.

jeffdragon

Bench
Would have been great to beat the chooks.
It would be a shame to be 6/4 after 10 rounds
7/3 sounds better,hopefully the news on Gareth is good

Bench
The next three games are going to be hard without Widdop but we still have the troops to win. Two wins is not out of the question.
Just hope that whatever happens over those games supporters or coaches don't use Widdop's injury as a reason we didn't do any good.