What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City-country

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You don't think travelling Canberra to Bathurst, then Bathurst to Canberra, Canberra to Tamworth, Tamworth to Canberra and Canberra to Sydney is tougher than travelling Sydney to Mudgee and back?

Sure thing pal.

The point remains that the NRL are giving the Bulldogs special treatment that was not available to other clubs who also had to play the Thursday after rep round.
Sorry, had to come back to this one.

Is Ricky now getting special treatment?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Ricky is just pissed off because he asked that raiders not be selected last year because we had to back up on the Thursday (the ill-fated game and kogarah) and was told nah they have to play. So its probably pretty annoying just to see des unilaterally decide to pull players

Im not opposed to city v country in theory. In theory i actually like the concept but in practice any raiders player selected has next to no chance of playing origin so whats the point. BJ could run wild out there and nsw selectors will be like oh he cant be trusted when it matters. So literally what is the point of BJ playing for city when no matter what he does he is apparently not as good a centre as dugan or whoever ?

He could get injured playing for essentially nothing.

In 2015 blake austin was just about the best player in city v country. Not even in the picture for a blues jersey.

So we are essentially just filling in spots

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Can't the clubs just suck it up for 1 more year ??

I'm guessing players get paid for cc game

So banning you is a clear restraint of trade

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Do you genuinely think if another club had a Thursday game like we do and that club made the same decision, the NRL would exercise any sort of power to stop them?

This "Todd favours the Bulldogs" rubbish is just that. Bullshit

We had to back up on a Thursday last year (city country was on the 8th of may and we played the dragons on the 12th of may) and sticky claims he requested that raiders players not be selected. The nrl said no deal

myrrh ken

First Grade
Ricky is just pissed off because he asked that raiders not be selected last year because we had to back up on the Thursday (the ill-fated game and kogarah) and was told nah they have to play. So its probably pretty annoying just to see des unilaterally decide to pull players

Im not opposed to city v country in theory. In theory i actually like the concept but in practice any raiders player selected has next to no chance of playing origin so whats the point. BJ could run wild out there and nsw selectors will be like oh he cant be trusted when it matters. So literally what is the point of BJ playing for city when no matter what he does he is apparently not as good a centre as dugan or whoever ?

He could get injured playing for essentially nothing.

In 2015 blake austin was just about the best player in city v country. Not even in the picture for a blues jersey.

So we are essentially just filling in spots

BJ is his own worst enemy. He refused to be the development player ie 19th man man in Game 1. When Josh Morris got injured for Game 2, he could have slipped straight in but missed that chance because he wasn't in the squad. Jack Bird leaped ahead of him.

he then misses the blues training camp earlier this year despite being named.

Its an easy decision for Loz to exclude him.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes so if hes going to not be selected for *insert insane thing BJ has done here* what point is there in him playing for city.

We all know BJ is a lunatic with one brain cell that he shares with jordan rapana but hes either a good enough centre to play origin or he isnt. I think he would probably be very good in city v country and id expect him to trouble his opposing centre (who would be jarrod croker lol) but its all literally pointless unless his performance in the game would mean something.

As blake austin proved in 2015 it really doesnt matter how good a bloke plays in cvc. If it mattered id be filthy at sticky here because like I said i support it in theory and i want raiders players becoming the best they can be. It doesnt matter and after croker injured himself in the all star game im very paranoid. We have f**k all depth and its pretty likely imo that most of the Raiders good players would be selected.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Can't being selected for CvC be the reward itself? hahaha?

Yes its not an Origin trial. The Dylan Walker decision certainly put paid to that notion.

I'm glad its gone.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't give a f**k if Sydney merkins change their view or not. They can be wrong as long as they like. If they think removing City-Country is a good thing for the game they really don't have a clue. You can't combat that kind of ignorance.

Totally disgree....

City-Country, one shitty game a year, is the thing that the NRL is able to point to and say "see, we do care about the bush".

Without that cover, they either need to become genuinely active in the bush or they will be exposed.

Totally disgree....

City-Country, one shitty game a year, is the thing that the NRL is able to point to and say "see, we do care about the bush".

Without that cover, they either need to become genuinely active in the bush or they will be exposed.
What? They've killed the fixture and still done nothing. How much more "exposed" do they need to be? No one outside greentard's immediate circle jerk committee thinks they give a f**k or are doing their job.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I f*ckin hate this excuse for the game.

If the only point of this game is as a trial for Origin, then it has no purpose at all; players are picked for theor effort at club level, not how they go in this single game.

If the game cant establish an independent sense of relevance, then it shouldnt be players

davi

Juniors
After what has gone on this year, I'm glad for the game's sake this is the last year of the City-Country match. It also must be remembered that the clubs pay the bills so obviously they want their players on the field in peak condition. The politics, conflicts, and disputes that have gone on with the lead up to the match I think it's safe to say the NRL have made the right decision bringing it to a close.

NRL City-Country rep clash hits new low as team can’t find enough players

The representative availability crisis has hit a new low, with City Origin forced to delay their team naming this morning due to a high number of withdrawals.

City’s team is not expected to be named until after midday after they were scheduled to announce their squad earlier alongside Country.

“Due to a large number of eligible players becoming unavailable for various reasons we are unable to name 17 players by the planned 9.30am announcement this morning,” they said in a media release.

Canterbury, Canberra and North Queensland have already said they will make their players unavailable for Sunday’s match, which is the last of the annual competition which has been running in the Origin format since 1987.

The shortage of players is also likely to impact on the Pacific Test squads, with players now being forced to be removed from international sides to fill the fixture."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/b44d4be47969df46169b13324257190b

undertaker

Coach
After what has gone on this year, I'm glad for the game's sake this is the last year of the City-Country match. It also must be remembered that the clubs pay the bills so obviously they want their players on the field in peak condition. The politics, conflicts, and disputes that have gone on with the lead up to the match I think it's safe to say the NRL have made the right decision bringing it to a close.

NRL City-Country rep clash hits new low as team can’t find enough players

The representative availability crisis has hit a new low, with City Origin forced to delay their team naming this morning due to a high number of withdrawals.

City’s team is not expected to be named until after midday after they were scheduled to announce their squad earlier alongside Country.

“Due to a large number of eligible players becoming unavailable for various reasons we are unable to name 17 players by the planned 9.30am announcement this morning,” they said in a media release.

Canterbury, Canberra and North Queensland have already said they will make their players unavailable for Sunday’s match, which is the last of the annual competition which has been running in the Origin format since 1987.

The shortage of players is also likely to impact on the Pacific Test squads, with players now being forced to be removed from international sides to fill the fixture."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/b44d4be47969df46169b13324257190b

If the situation has condescended to such a level where coaches are struggling to find 17 players to make a team, it's time to put the cow out to pasture once and for all, cancel the fixture and give those who have already purchased tickets for the game a well-deserved refund. It's completely unfair to those who have already forked out money for tickets to get treated to a 4th or 5th grade match masquerading as a so-called Origin selection match

TheVelourFog

First Grade

That is ridiculous

CvC should be cancelled immediately

Brutus

Referee
Thank f**k this City v Country farce will be finally over after next weekend.

Never again thank you very much.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Sad to see a match that dates back to 1928 as an annual contest (was played sporadically before that) fall by the wayside. I'm going to blame Country's decision to ditch the traditional maroon and gold for the shitty white abomination with maroon and gold trimming.