What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

siv

First Grade
ANZ needs to have its rail link improved first and formost

If state rail considers Central Strathfield and Granville as major stops then the Olympic Park rail line needs to run to these stations as well

Lidcombe which is not on ANY express train stop is not appropriate for sporting events

And with industry growing at Homebush its needs to better serviced anyway

Surely you can get to central station from most of Sydney relatively easily? then it's a pub crawl to Moore park. I still say Friday night game of the week at Allianz for the city slickers and Sunday afternoon at anz for the families of the west. But clubs said no to nrl controlling fixtures so will never happen. Clearlybfans don't like anz for many reasons, or nrl just isn't as popular as we'd like to think and 15k is what we should expect as the norm.

If the stadium was right next to central that'd be great.

So say if you caught a train from cronulla to central, that's about a 1 hour train trip. Then you're looking at another 15-20 mins to get to the ground.

I wouldn't call that easy.

From Campbelltown? To central is 1 hour 20, to Sydney Olympic park it's about the same with the changing at lidcome.

From the northern beaches? No train line. So two buses to get to moore park.

It's a combination of difficult georgraphy & poor public transport. However the difficult georgraphy contributes to the latter.

ANZ needs to have its rail link improved first and formost

If state rail considers Central Strathfield and Granville as major stops then the Olympic Park rail line needs to run to these stations as well

Lidcombe which is not on ANY express train stop is not appropriate for sporting events

And with industry growing at Homebush its needs to better serviced anyway

Sydney Olympic park will be on stage 3 metro that runs from parramatta to the CBD. I'm not sure the existing line will ever be properly connected to the network. We won't see that stage 3 until 2030 or so. If there's a change of govt we may never see it.

There was also some talk that Sydney Olympic park might be included on a fast train link between badgerys creek & central. Again though a long way off.

siv

First Grade
Sydney Olympic park will be on stage 3 metro that runs from parramatta to the CBD. I'm not sure the existing line will ever be properly connected to the network. We won't see that stage 3 until 2030 or so. If there's a change of govt we may never see it.

There was also some talk that Sydney Olympic park might be included on a fast train link between badgerys creek & central. Again though a long way off.
Forget the future metro

Look to the past

Sydney 2000 olympics had no issue in running trains between Central and Olmypic Park station stopping at Strathfield

ALL major train lines stop at Strathfield and Central

Would be much cheaper to correct any issues here than build a new rail line

Forget the future metro

Look to the past

Sydney 2000 olympics had no issue in running trains between Central and Olmypic Park station stopping at Strathfield

Id love it if they did that, we'd need to hear from the experts as to why.

But the new line isn't being built just for Homebush, it's to take pressure off the currently packed trains between central & Parra

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the stadium was right next to central that'd be great.

So say if you caught a train from cronulla to central, that's about a 1 hour train trip. Then you're looking at another 15-20 mins to get to the ground.

I wouldn't call that easy.

From Campbelltown? To central is 1 hour 20, to Sydney Olympic park it's about the same with the changing at lidcome.

From the northern beaches? No train line. So two buses to get to moore park.

It's a combination of difficult georgraphy & poor public transport. However the difficult georgraphy contributes to the latter.

According to timetable Sutherland to central is 34 minutes,
27km, 33min drive (guessing this is at 3am though lol)
Not suggesting Cronulla move though, they struggle to many in the neighbourhood to go so highly unlikely they will get people travelling that far!

You are right though in that Sydney cbd is unusual in not even close to being central to the city and it is so spread out and sht to get around that the answers are probably beyond ever being found.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors

Not even close, Campbelltown to Central is around 55 mins on the train, and as low as 40 mins peak. In fact, Campbelltown to Central is actually faster than Liverpool to Central, despite being further away.

Campbelltown to Olympic park can be done in around an hour, including the change at Lidcombe.

M2D2

Bench
I always find it funny when people say stuff like this. Its like wen people say Sydney and Brisbane are different; Brisbane is a unified city and only needs 1 team where as Sydney is tribal and needs 9...

Its not actually based on reality, it is based on what the person WANTS to be true.

ANZ and Parra stadium can act as centralised locations for the 4 WS teams and even StGeorge, Sharks and Manly at a stretch. The issue isnt that it CANT be done, people just want it to fail....
Learn to googlemap.

Not even close, Campbelltown to Central is around 55 mins on the train, and as low as 40 mins peak. In fact, Campbelltown to Central is actually faster than Liverpool to Central, despite being further away.

Campbelltown to Olympic park can be done in around an hour, including the change at Lidcombe.

Apologies was going off the google number.

Still 55 mins isn't exactly an easy trip, particularly when you double it and add the extra 15 mins to and from the ground.

Not suggesting Cronulla move though, they struggle to many in the neighbourhood to go so highly unlikely they will get people travelling that far!

You are right though in that Sydney cbd is unusual in not even close to being central to the city and it is so spread out and sht to get around that the answers are probably beyond ever being found.

I was going off cronulla, not Sutherland. They're actually 6 stops apart. Plus I was using the google time, it's a touch too long.

taipan

Referee

Yeah ideal for an 8pm start at Homebush,after picking up the family at 7pm,after working in the city.Kids going to school the next day.Forget 6pm Friday,if you are unemployed ,school kid living nearby OK.
Ah yes the timetables.weekend track work sure helps LOL.
I'm not suggesting I'm confirming if times were that simple and connections spot, on then you could argue.They simply are not,confirming the view you have little understanding of public transport from the Shire/Kogarah and Manly and environs to ANZ at present.I think you are struggling more than families from the Shire trying together to these places.Sutherland is not geographically Cronulla according to Google.
BTW there were not many from Manly on sunny Sunday 4pm game at Shark Park.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Surely you can get to central station from most of Sydney relatively easily? then it's a pub crawl to Moore park. I still say Friday night game of the week at Allianz for the city slickers and Sunday afternoon at anz for the families of the west. But clubs said no to nrl controlling fixtures so will never happen. Clearlybfans don't like anz for many reasons, or nrl just isn't as popular as we'd like to think and 15k is what we should expect as the norm.

Agreed. ANZ, Allianz and the new Parra stadium should be hosting most games once the upgrades are finished and like you said. It would most likely create much better atmosphere at games and would hopefully create at least one 'event match' a week in Sydney to make the game attractive to the casual sports fan again.

I like steve mascords view in regards to crowds in Sydney, if we can't have less teams then let's have less games. Make them a more precious commodity. (Ie move games or bush or expansion areas)

That in conjunction with improved stadiums will help crowds in Sydney.

siv

First Grade
RL is now only a TV product

6pm FNF ThNF and the old MNF are evidence of it

Today only 25% of games are played on Sunday. No RG already and next year no U20s on game day

So might as well give up save $100 on game day and just record it

If you want a weekend day at the football just go watch a local A grade club for $5 or NSW Cup if you have a team to follow at that level

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I like steve mascords view in regards to crowds in Sydney, if we can't have less teams then let's have less games. Make them a more precious commodity. (Ie move games or bush or expansion areas)

That in conjunction with improved stadiums will help crowds in Sydney.

I agree, but it wont happen until the locations of games are decided centrally...

You cant expect one team to go off on their own because each will just say "why arent the others doing it". Without a central mandate, it will never happen.

Forget the future metro

Look to the past

That's true. But it's far from the sole purpose of the metro west to increase accessibility for NRL games.

I'm sure you're all too aware of the over crowding and capacity restrictions facing the existing western line. Running a parallel option will reduce the burden on the current infrastructure.

It's also about encouraging density and urban renewal along the Parra to CBD corridor. Sydney can't keep sprawling forever and this area is forecast to be homr to over 400,000 new residents in the next 30 or so years.

Also, there is a stop planned for Strathfield allowing for a new interchange.

The metro will be likely be built with the option to extend to Badgerys rather than as well as.

Value capture is (finally) seen as a sensible way to fund transport infrastructure in NSW and you can't do this without a high frequency of stops.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Using sharks are an example, what % of fans would live in Cronulla/Sutherland and what percentage in the other 90% of Sydney?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Not based in reality, seriously?

Let's start with the basics.

1. Total land mass of Sydney is 12,400 km squared, Melbourne is 9,900km

So Sydney is 25% larger by land mass.

2. Melbourne is a far flatter city, much of it is grid based.

To give a basic example the heighest point in Melbourne is only 120m above sea level. Sydney has heaps of suburbs that are around 200m, some above.

3. Sydney has a major harbour that divides much of its north & south

Let's look at the facts in relation to footy clubs.

1. Furthest distance between two teams home bases in Sydney (brookvale to Penrith) is 62km

In Melbourne it's between Footscray & St kilda, 12km.

2. Furthest distance between a clubs home base and one of the centralised stadiums.

In Sydney it's between Penrith & parramatta- 30km

In Melbourne it's 6.6km between st kilda and Docklands

And there are plenty of other clubs a decent distance from centralised stadiums

Cronulla - to Moore park 25km (you proposed ANZ, it's even further at 30km)

Manly to Moore park 17km (you proposed ANZ - even further at 28km)

-------------------------------------------------

Id prefer if you told me something I said wasn't based in reality that you came with actual facts.
In Melbourne where you love has little or no relation to which team you follow. 99% of St Kilda supporters don't live in St Kilda. This would partly be because they started moving to central stadiums in the 1980s and partly because the clubs all formed in the 19th century inner city before Melbourne sprawled.
We all know the cities are very different, but the game will wither if it becomes a TV only sport. It is a cop out to throw your hands in the air and say it is all too hard.