What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing

nqboy

First Grade
I have noticed the focus of referees has dropped away from the ruck. In the Penrith/Tigers game and in other games on the weekend, markers standing anywhere near the ruck was a case of "near enough's good enough". And any time they did get front on, they could leave early and be in position to tackle the runner when they had no right to be there.

Also, sleepers are starting to creep back into the game.

I fully supported the referee's crackdown on the ruck earlier in the year and would like to see them revive it.

davi

Juniors
Gus blows up on referees suggest the game is too over-refereed. I tend to agree, State of Origin the refs tend to hold back and let the game flow more. NRL football the refs tend to become too much a factor in the game. The best referees are the one's that don't get noticed in the contest. You are too much focused on the game and the refs become an afterthought. By saying that I'm still happy with the two referees system.

"Get out of the ear of the referees and let them take care of what happens in front of them.

That’s the message from Channel Nine commentator and Penrith Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould after some perplexing decisions in the Sydney Roosters’ narrow win over South Sydney at Allianz Stadium.

Gould didn’t lay blame at the foot of the men with the whistle – his gripe is with the officials who have turned officiating into pursuing a series of targets rather than reacting to what they see in front of them.

‘’The referees are told to give 16 penalties a game, that’s their marker, that’ their KPI,’’ he told Peter Sterling and James Bracey after the match.

‘’Eight-all, nine-seven, that’s their KPI, that’s what they look for. You’ve got to be really bad to concede more than that or to get less than that.

Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould says the NRL is suffering from over officiating and too many people are 'in the referees ear all the time.'(Getty)

Gould continued, saying that the pocket referee created more problems that had been solved.

‘’Our game is totally over refereed. Our referees are totally over coached. We have got so many officials controlling this game that are in the referees’ ear all the time that they will run around and nitpick penalties.

‘’We don’t need a pocket referee, we’ve got to get rid of that rubbish.

‘’Because there are two blokes looking to get their KPI, looking to keep their coach happy and keep the reviewer happy that they are looking for these nitpicking penalties and they totally miss the fact a bloke has turned sideways and played the ball.

‘’They miss the important stuff. Don’t start me on this rubbish. I hate it, I hate it.’’

The former State of Origin and premiership winning coach said allowing the whistle-blowers to do their job without fear of attracting the ire of supervisors.

‘’Our referees are very good, they can referee. They are just totally over coached and interfered with,’’ he said."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/08/...-is-totally-over-refereed#xmOHfiJcwTmyGDfP.99

AJB1102

First Grade
Only took 14yrs for this thread to receive a reply.

I do agree 2 refs is shit though and probably the worst major change to the game in a very long time.

Saxon

Bench
I think we need to go the other way. The game these days is so sloppy it's a sham.

Defenders offside? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to get back'.
Too slow in the ruck? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to be quicker'.
Running players off the ball? That's a penalty
Playing the ball sideways? That's a paddlin' (oops, penalty)
Feed the scrum into the second row? Break early? Don't play it again, it's a penalty.
And so on.

Teams do it because they know they will get away with it 90% of the time.So, penalise the f*ck out of them. And keep doing it.
In 2 weeks the smart coaches will have the guys doing it right. In 4 the others will be catching up.
In 6 weeks we will have a much cleaner, more attractive game.

I know it's too much to hope for, but anything is better than the lottery we are getting at the moment.

Card Shark

Immortal
Have to agree mate,

If we penalise less, teams stretch the rules even more.

Where does it stop.

POPEYE

Coach
Gus blows up on referees suggest the game is too over-refereed. I tend to agree, State of Origin the refs tend to hold back and let the game flow more. NRL football the refs tend to become too much a factor in the game. The best referees are the one's that don't get noticed in the contest. You are too much focused on the game and the refs become an afterthought. By saying that I'm still happy with the two referees system.

"Get out of the ear of the referees and let them take care of what happens in front of them.

That’s the message from Channel Nine commentator and Penrith Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould after some perplexing decisions in the Sydney Roosters’ narrow win over South Sydney at Allianz Stadium.

Gould didn’t lay blame at the foot of the men with the whistle – his gripe is with the officials who have turned officiating into pursuing a series of targets rather than reacting to what they see in front of them.

‘’The referees are told to give 16 penalties a game, that’s their marker, that’ their KPI,’’ he told Peter Sterling and James Bracey after the match.

‘’Eight-all, nine-seven, that’s their KPI, that’s what they look for. You’ve got to be really bad to concede more than that or to get less than that.

Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould says the NRL is suffering from over officiating and too many people are 'in the referees ear all the time.'(Getty)

Gould continued, saying that the pocket referee created more problems that had been solved.

‘’Our game is totally over refereed. Our referees are totally over coached. We have got so many officials controlling this game that are in the referees’ ear all the time that they will run around and nitpick penalties.

‘’We don’t need a pocket referee, we’ve got to get rid of that rubbish.

‘’Because there are two blokes looking to get their KPI, looking to keep their coach happy and keep the reviewer happy that they are looking for these nitpicking penalties and they totally miss the fact a bloke has turned sideways and played the ball.

‘’They miss the important stuff. Don’t start me on this rubbish. I hate it, I hate it.’’

The former State of Origin and premiership winning coach said allowing the whistle-blowers to do their job without fear of attracting the ire of supervisors.

‘’Our referees are very good, they can referee. They are just totally over coached and interfered with,’’ he said."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/08/...-is-totally-over-refereed#xmOHfiJcwTmyGDfP.99
Crikey, I owe Jabba an apology . . . sorry, 'Mr Gould'

Vee

First Grade
Only took 14yrs for this thread to receive a reply.

I do agree 2 refs is shit though and probably the worst major change to the game in a very long time.
I reckon anyone opposing two refs is forgetting why we went there, how bad it was getting under one ref.

Canard

Immortal
Can he be sued for such obvious lies?

"Refs told to give 14 penalties a game" for example?

He is just an out of touch dinosaur that would complain about anything

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes, he comments are never constructive & are only ever positive when it's about his favourite players, so people get on the Gus bandwagon.

Card Shark

Immortal
I reckon anyone opposing two refs is forgetting why we went there, how bad it was getting under one ref.

The game is too fast for 1 ref & there is too much pressure.

It's hard enough seeing things with 1 set of eyes, let alone 2.

ieatbread

Juniors
Bring back the scrum as a contest. Remember when a hooker was a hooker?
Bring back a proper play the ball. (Without the marker able to play at the ball)
Bring back one ref but still have two refs one for each half.

OldPanther

Coach
He's rught. Keep 2 refs but let them do their job without the nonsense. If it's a penalty call it if not don't. Teams will learn the rules soon enough

no name

Coach
I think Gus has a point.
I mentioned in the Rabbitohs v Roosters game thread that they cut corners.
As the siren blew on Friday night Klein had the whistle to his mouth and arm up to give a Rooster penalty.
After the siren went he just blew for full time.
People will say fair enough, the game was over blah blah blah, but there was an infringement within the time of play and Klein took the easy way out and called time.
This attitude and corner cutting is evident in all games against all sides and this is a glaring example.
Archer is sackless and refuses to admit refs make mistakes, so it makes it hard to rectify those mistakes.
The solution? I'm not sure, but I don't know if Archer is the right man for his position.

Vozzy

Juniors
Henry penernara is really bad. For a guy who played the game it's like he took too many head knocks as a player. When he goes to the video I
It's like he is working out how to make a square with his hands. The games he referees are really boring there is atleast a penalty every 2 sets and sometimes the way he refs the penalty was soft and a team playing shit who don't deserve a penalty get leg ups. Also his games are always stop start I reckon when he refs there are always mistakes by both teams.