What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing

Life's Good

Coach
I think we need to go the other way. The game these days is so sloppy it's a sham.

Defenders offside? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to get back'.
Too slow in the ruck? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to be quicker'.
Running players off the ball? That's a penalty
Playing the ball sideways? That's a paddlin' (oops, penalty)
Feed the scrum into the second row? Break early? Don't play it again, it's a penalty.
And so on.

Teams do it because they know they will get away with it 90% of the time.So, penalise the f*ck out of them. And keep doing it.
In 2 weeks the smart coaches will have the guys doing it right. In 4 the others will be catching up.
In 6 weeks we will have a much cleaner, more attractive game.

I know it's too much to hope for, but anything is better than the lottery we are getting at the moment.
I agree with this. As simple as it sounds the refs need to win back control. Greenberg, who is supposedly a 'league' man needs to pull Archer aside and set out that the game needs cleaning up. Start with the big ticket items - rucks, the play the ball, offside. Make it clear that it is happening and if teams whinge & moan then so be it and they will end up on the wrong side of the penalty count. Something has to change and if Archer isn't the man(I don't think he is)then I am sure there are plenty to choose from.

Vee

First Grade
So refereeing is not talking about football?

Lol
I'll dumb it down for you. Playing and coaching, he's one of the best minds in the game, refereeing, he has no idea but I've noticed over time that he doesn't let his ignorance get in the way of a good story.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'll dumb it down for you. Playing and coaching, he's one of the best minds in the game, refereeing, he has no idea but I've noticed over time that he doesn't let his ignorance get in the way of a good story.

Holy shit. You are that stupid are you?

Inconceivable that a bloke in Gould's position may be privvy to information on how the refs are instructed?

Grow a brain mate.

And you want to "dumb it down" for me?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Playing, coaching AND refereeing overlap to huge degree. Would you like a Venn diagram to explain this?

When I mention refereeing, it refers to the way refereeing influences playing and coaching.

The Venn diagram stated above would almost be A Perfect Circle (quite a good band).

T-Boon

Coach
the play-the-ball is absolutely one of the worst parts of the game right now

players who try to play the ball before getting to their feet
players who roll the ball between their legs
players who get up and take a big step past the marker

Agreed. In fact the entire ruck, from first contact between ball carrier and defender, until the ball clears the ruck (including the forward passes from dummy half) is both a total disaster and tragically where games are won and lost.
Its all because of the ten metre rule. We need to go to back to five metres. Ruck speed should have zero influence on the game.

Canard

Immortal
Lol

I would LOVE to see that. I really would.

Can you imagine the defence case? It would be delicious.

Hahaha the last thing the NRL would want to do is shine light on their refereeing policies.

That I am 100% sure of.

I'm sure Gould thinks he is helping, but this sort of garbage helps no-one. People will quote that sort of drivel for a decade and be convinced that it's fact.

His nostalgia for another era warps his self awareness and funnily enough he underestimates how influential his views are to the average fan. His constant negative PR is a huge detriment to our game.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'm sure Gould thinks he is helping, but this sort of garbage helps no-one. People will quote that sort of drivel for a decade and be convinced that it's fact.

His nostalgia for another era warps his self awareness and funnily enough he underestimates how influential his views are to the average fan. His constant negative PR is a huge detriment to our game.

Mate I agree his negative tilt is certainly detrimental.

I was watching some AFL post game show the other night (I know - kill me now) and one thing that stuck out likes the proverbial dogs was the positivity they spruik. It would be quite infectious I think.

I still defer to my original point though, that how do you know he has not been made aware of info that there are KPI quotas?

Canard

Immortal
Mate I agree his negative tilt is certainly detrimental.

I was watching some AFL post game show the other night (I know - kill me now) and one thing that stuck out likes the proverbial dogs was the positivity they spruik. It would be quite infectious I think.

I still defer to my original point though, that how do you know he has not been made aware of info that there are KPI quotas?

I certainly don't know.

But my view is that when you make an extraordinary claim you need evidence to back it up. So until this is presented I'm assuming it's not true.

simmo05

Bench
I think we need to go the other way. The game these days is so sloppy it's a sham.

Defenders offside? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to get back'.
Too slow in the ruck? Penalty. Don't tell them 'you need to be quicker'.
Running players off the ball? That's a penalty
Playing the ball sideways? That's a paddlin' (oops, penalty)
Feed the scrum into the second row? Break early? Don't play it again, it's a penalty.
And so on.

Teams do it because they know they will get away with it 90% of the time.So, penalise the f*ck out of them. And keep doing it.
In 2 weeks the smart coaches will have the guys doing it right. In 4 the others will be catching up.
In 6 weeks we will have a much cleaner, more attractive game.

I know it's too much to hope for, but anything is better than the lottery we are getting at the moment.
100 percent correct. Their job is to enforce the rules, not coach the players all game. Thats where alot of the problems lie, they are too busy telling x player your offside, or get your hands off the ball, rather than purely looking for infringements.

Card Shark

Immortal
Bring back the 5 minute sin bin & let the refs use it.

They are too scared to put players in their place as there is too much backlash.

Pedge1971

First Grade
the play-the-ball is absolutely one of the worst parts of the game right now

players who try to play the ball before getting to their feet
players who roll the ball between their legs
players who get up and take a big step past the marker

Problem is the wrestle and strip is f**king ridiculous now as well and the whole play the ball issue is a result of this tactic.

The whole refereeing approach has been to accept the clinging and turning and as a result the push to get a good clean play the ball is compromised as is the level of players who get away with dropping the pill and winning a penalty.

Melbourne have enough player advantage without needing that shit...

Yoiu only had to see the non-action over teh Thomas Burgess play the ball in the first half of the Roosters v Rabbitohs game last Fridat night to see the problems with the officiating this year. Burgess was facing the western touchline when he played the ball.

Now you could argue that was because of the markers, so a penalty could have gone either way, but it should not have just been "play on" which is what happened. I know what advantage play is, but for crying out loud, that looked farcical to just let go.

Lambretta

First Grade
If any of you want to know how a game of Rugby League should be handled, watch some Super League games

They have one referee and the games seem to flow better ....... well the ones where the players aren't dropping the balls every five seconds in the rain.

There are far fewer contentious decisions and if there is something which could be called either way the people calling the game actually say that.

Here the tendency is for a commentator to be black and white over something and scream about how the referee got it wrong. There, they usually say "well by 'eck lad, unlucky there, could have gone either way.... whose seen my ferret? Play on"

Sometimes we need to calm the hell down and understand that trying to be Peter perfect and rectify every sodding thing that wasn't 100% to the letter of the law is an exercise in futility.

We also need to understand that our point of view is going to differ from someone else's and it's the same with referees. The opinions in the "Manly were rooted up the arse" thread is a perfect example. Manly fans think they were shafted, everyone else is pissing themselves laughing. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Sometimes you need to

upload_2017-7-11_8-56-14.jpeg

POPEYE

Coach
If Jabba is against referees ruining games I'm on his side, depends what he constitutes as 'bad refereeing', depends what is an 'infringement' and what is
If any of you want to know how a game of Rugby League should be handled, watch some Super League games

They have one referee and the games seem to flow better ....... well the ones where the players aren't dropping the balls every five seconds in the rain.

There are far fewer contentious decisions and if there is something which could be called either way the people calling the game actually say that.

Here the tendency is for a commentator to be black and white over something and scream about how the referee got it wrong. There, they usually say "well by 'eck lad, unlucky there, could have gone either way.... whose seen my ferret? Play on"

Sometimes we need to calm the hell down and understand that trying to be Peter perfect and rectify every sodding thing that wasn't 100% to the letter of the law is an exercise in futility.

We also need to understand that our point of view is going to differ from someone else's and it's the same with referees. The opinions in the "Manly were rooted up the arse" thread is a perfect example. Manly fans think they were shafted, everyone else is pissing themselves laughing. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Sometimes you need to

View attachment 14285
F**k Jabba, you should be running Penrith ol' mate . . . . hell, you need to apply for Archer's job. If not bring out Richard Silverwood, maybe a naughty boy off the field still the greatest referee I've seen