Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Probably not the place, but my pop passed away yesterday, a month short of 97. Run out attempting another single, we joked, just shy of his ton. He always wanted to go at 90 - a century's sentence, with ten off for good behaviour.

He was a Saints fan his whole life, although post merger, he was a little less enthusiastic as age caught up with him. Still, even up until the past weekend, he had his ear to the wireless listening to his beloved dragons. Never neglected to do his tipping despite doing it by himself, the newspaper circled and pinned to his board for reference at the end of the weekend.

This was a man with a modest WWII service record, who paid his taxes, worked hard, raised his family and lived a decent, humble life. He made up for it, by acknowledging and greeting almost every person he met. I remember as a late teen, early 20s lad I would take my grandparents to bingo or shopping, and a 15 minute trip with a stroll took two hours as he chatted away, or was stopped by people he knew. And despite getting a touch of the Mr Magoos in the last decade, he was still warm, witty and had a sparkle in his eye.

This was a man who actually can claim to have been to all 11 in a row for Saints. He went again in 85, 92-93 and our last trek to a Saints GF was in 96 and even at that age, he said that was probably his last chance of seeing them win a comp. Well, he got a couple more. He slept outside the SCG for tickets to watch Test matches (RL and Cricket) and was there when Puig Aubert ran around.

I remember taking him to Charity Shields in the mid-90s and one year at the SFS he was tired and he wanted to sit up the end where a large contingent of Indigenous fans had gathered. He asked if they didn't mind if he could sit with them and they shrugged and said sure. As coincidence would have it, some of them were from the town where he been stationed during the war. He loved Ricky Walford and that was that, as it turned out, some of the group were Ricky's relatives, and my pop could do no wrong.

He played grade cricket for St George back in the day. At the time Ray Lindwall played for NSW and Australia, and Saints, along with a couple of other Aussie / NSW bowlers. He had ambitions of being a bat and was dead keen on First Grade honours. He went in to the net to try out and Lindwall tore him apart. Those watching were enthusiastic about his efforts and as Pop finished his net. He says his legs were jelly and he was quaking in his boots, and he says they asked him how he felt after facing one of the best bowling attacks in Australia. "I think I'll play 2nd Grade this year if it's all the same to you." I don't think he ever got in to 1sts. The war and family put paid to that I guess.

When he was young, my nan was one of a baker's dozen. She had seven brothers. They were all my pop's mates who lived around the corner. All of them loved footy, cricket and picnics. Most of them passed away in their late 40s, early 50s when I was just a bub in the mid/late 70s, so I never knew them. Pop was the last one really. The old photos of larrikin lads in Penshurst, Mortdale, Hurstville...with their shirts off, or sleeves rolled up, loving the sunshine, fresh air, beaches and playing fields. Even the grim of war couldn't sully their spirits.

He used to take my aunt (the oldest) and my mum (the youngest) to Kogarah every game. They would venture in to the SCG for match of the round. The Saints marching on. Sadly my aunt passed away young. She was a mad as a cut snake Saints supporter. As a little kid, my dad travelled a lot, so pop would buy and mail me and my brother bubblegum cards or supply us packets of RL stickers to put in our books. When my parents spent a decade overseas, he would send newspaper cuttings, RLW and Big League, footy cards and what not. Somehow, at 8, I became a Souths supporter before really realising the family was Saints. Mum never mentioned it, just let me follow my own path. As a teen, I went to boarding school and he'd be happy to go to games and the tales, some tall, some true...would be told. By then it was too late, and I was Souths through and through, but he once said to me I'd made the right choice. If I wasn't Saints, it was Souths as he loved Sattler as a player and as a bloke, having many business dealings with him. Of all the rivalries, Saints and Souths was always fun even if we lost by 50. We didn't remind each other of past victories or how would smash each other up. That was reserved for the Bulldogs, who he loathed. I remember in the depths of 1984, being at his place on a cold, dark Sunday afternoon and him saying they were rotten so and so's. It's funny. I don't recall him having a mean word for anyone. Except the Dogs.

He loved his Lotto - I was only six numbers off winning this week, he would tell newsagents. He loved Don Bradman and test cricket. We could while away a hot, balmy summer's day watching test matches. I loved being at his place on the Central Coast because NBN showed Sydney Tests live in full. He loved MacGyver...he would howl with laughter at how he got out of fixes with a fire extinguisher, a hair pin and a wad of gum.

I wasn't there when he died. I know I shouldn't, but I will regret it. He died peacefully in his sleep with my mum and aunt with him. He wanted to go. The spirited man had decided to declare his innings shut. I will regret not seeing him one last time. I spent ten years helping mum look after him as my nan rotted from Alzheimers. She was pop's everything and he lived in utter hope and in total fantasy she would recover. He sat there holding her hand as she died. I wished I was there yesterday, holding his hand. I could have kissed him on the forehead and thanked him for all those precious memories I have. All those times we discussed the cricket and RL...the match of the round, the line ups, the best players he'd seen, the games we had seen, the controversy. Summer in to winter in to summer. Before there were internet forums, I just had my pop...gas bagging away about nothing in particular.

I can't grumble. I'm 41. Most of my friends lost their grandparents 20 years ago. But I will miss him forever more. The humble, gentle man and the smell of brylcream and aftershave. He wasn't famous. He wasn't special. But he was a bloody great Aussie bloke.

So if Mary Mcgregor and his boys can smash the living shit out of Para this weekend, I shall have a quiet ale and keep on marching on.
Great read mate, I had a tear in my eye reading it. Reminded me a little of my pop as well. They were built totally different back then.

Life's Good

Probably not the place, but my pop passed away yesterday, a month short of 97. Run out attempting another single, we joked, just shy of his ton. He always wanted to go at 90 - a century's sentence, with ten off for good behaviour.

He was a Saints fan his whole life, although post merger, he was a little less enthusiastic as age caught up with him. Still, even up until the past weekend, he had his ear to the wireless listening to his beloved dragons. Never neglected to do his tipping despite doing it by himself, the newspaper circled and pinned to his board for reference at the end of the weekend.

This was a man with a modest WWII service record, who paid his taxes, worked hard, raised his family and lived a decent, humble life. He made up for it, by acknowledging and greeting almost every person he met. I remember as a late teen, early 20s lad I would take my grandparents to bingo or shopping, and a 15 minute trip with a stroll took two hours as he chatted away, or was stopped by people he knew. And despite getting a touch of the Mr Magoos in the last decade, he was still warm, witty and had a sparkle in his eye.

This was a man who actually can claim to have been to all 11 in a row for Saints. He went again in 85, 92-93 and our last trek to a Saints GF was in 96 and even at that age, he said that was probably his last chance of seeing them win a comp. Well, he got a couple more. He slept outside the SCG for tickets to watch Test matches (RL and Cricket) and was there when Puig Aubert ran around.

I remember taking him to Charity Shields in the mid-90s and one year at the SFS he was tired and he wanted to sit up the end where a large contingent of Indigenous fans had gathered. He asked if they didn't mind if he could sit with them and they shrugged and said sure. As coincidence would have it, some of them were from the town where he been stationed during the war. He loved Ricky Walford and that was that, as it turned out, some of the group were Ricky's relatives, and my pop could do no wrong.

He played grade cricket for St George back in the day. At the time Ray Lindwall played for NSW and Australia, and Saints, along with a couple of other Aussie / NSW bowlers. He had ambitions of being a bat and was dead keen on First Grade honours. He went in to the net to try out and Lindwall tore him apart. Those watching were enthusiastic about his efforts and as Pop finished his net. He says his legs were jelly and he was quaking in his boots, and he says they asked him how he felt after facing one of the best bowling attacks in Australia. "I think I'll play 2nd Grade this year if it's all the same to you." I don't think he ever got in to 1sts. The war and family put paid to that I guess.

When he was young, my nan was one of a baker's dozen. She had seven brothers. They were all my pop's mates who lived around the corner. All of them loved footy, cricket and picnics. Most of them passed away in their late 40s, early 50s when I was just a bub in the mid/late 70s, so I never knew them. Pop was the last one really. The old photos of larrikin lads in Penshurst, Mortdale, Hurstville...with their shirts off, or sleeves rolled up, loving the sunshine, fresh air, beaches and playing fields. Even the grim of war couldn't sully their spirits.

He used to take my aunt (the oldest) and my mum (the youngest) to Kogarah every game. They would venture in to the SCG for match of the round. The Saints marching on. Sadly my aunt passed away young. She was a mad as a cut snake Saints supporter. As a little kid, my dad travelled a lot, so pop would buy and mail me and my brother bubblegum cards or supply us packets of RL stickers to put in our books. When my parents spent a decade overseas, he would send newspaper cuttings, RLW and Big League, footy cards and what not. Somehow, at 8, I became a Souths supporter before really realising the family was Saints. Mum never mentioned it, just let me follow my own path. As a teen, I went to boarding school and he'd be happy to go to games and the tales, some tall, some true...would be told. By then it was too late, and I was Souths through and through, but he once said to me I'd made the right choice. If I wasn't Saints, it was Souths as he loved Sattler as a player and as a bloke, having many business dealings with him. Of all the rivalries, Saints and Souths was always fun even if we lost by 50. We didn't remind each other of past victories or how would smash each other up. That was reserved for the Bulldogs, who he loathed. I remember in the depths of 1984, being at his place on a cold, dark Sunday afternoon and him saying they were rotten so and so's. It's funny. I don't recall him having a mean word for anyone. Except the Dogs.

He loved his Lotto - I was only six numbers off winning this week, he would tell newsagents. He loved Don Bradman and test cricket. We could while away a hot, balmy summer's day watching test matches. I loved being at his place on the Central Coast because NBN showed Sydney Tests live in full. He loved MacGyver...he would howl with laughter at how he got out of fixes with a fire extinguisher, a hair pin and a wad of gum.

I wasn't there when he died. I know I shouldn't, but I will regret it. He died peacefully in his sleep with my mum and aunt with him. He wanted to go. The spirited man had decided to declare his innings shut. I will regret not seeing him one last time. I spent ten years helping mum look after him as my nan rotted from Alzheimers. She was pop's everything and he lived in utter hope and in total fantasy she would recover. He sat there holding her hand as she died. I wished I was there yesterday, holding his hand. I could have kissed him on the forehead and thanked him for all those precious memories I have. All those times we discussed the cricket and RL...the match of the round, the line ups, the best players he'd seen, the games we had seen, the controversy. Summer in to winter in to summer. Before there were internet forums, I just had my pop...gas bagging away about nothing in particular.

I can't grumble. I'm 41. Most of my friends lost their grandparents 20 years ago. But I will miss him forever more. The humble, gentle man and the smell of brylcream and aftershave. He wasn't famous. He wasn't special. But he was a bloody great Aussie bloke.

So if Mary Mcgregor and his boys can smash the living shit out of Para this weekend, I shall have a quiet ale and keep on marching on.
RIP pops. Such a nice read TMH. The part I have put in bold is something that resonates with me and how it helps prolong the memory of your loved ones. Thanks for sharing.

Das Gupta

Martin Landau has passed away. Star of the TV series Mission Impossible
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/16/entertainment/actor-martin-landau-dies/index.html

Martin Landau, 89, a character actor who starred in the 1960s television show "Mission: Impossible" and won an Oscar for playing Bela Lugosi in the movie "Ed Wood," died Saturday, his publicist Dick Guttman said Sunday night.
Landau died at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles following "unexpected complications during a short hospitalization," Guttman said in a statement.
Landau was born June 28, 1928, in Brooklyn and worked as a cartoonist for the New York Daily News before becoming an actor, according to the Internet Movie Database.
Landau's career spanned the decades. In 1957 he had a part in the play "Middle of the Night," with Edward G. Robinson and ended up on the West Coast, according to the Internet Movie Database.
To the general public, Landau was best known to the public for playing master of disguise Rollin Hand for a top-secret spy team in the 1960s series "Mission: Impossible," in which his then-wife Barbara Bain also starred.
He was nominated for Emmys for each of his three seasons on the show and won the Golden Globe for best male TV star in 1968, IMDb said.
Landau and Bain left the series in 1969 in a salary dispute. His career suffered for about a decade and he was forced to take roles in now-forgotten movies such as "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island," IMDb said.
Landau's career picked up when he got a recurring role on the NBC comedy "Buffalo Bill," in which Dabney Coleman starred.
He was nominated for three Academy Awards for best supporting actor, for playing Abe Karatz in Francis Coppola's "Tucker" in 1988; the adulterous husband Judah Rosenthal in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors" in 1989; and the aging horror movie star Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in 1994. He won the Oscar for the "Ed Wood" role.
Landau's first big movie role was in Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest." He also had supporting roles in "Cleopatra" and other movies and appeared in numerous television shows, including "The Twilight Zone."
Near the end of his career, he played Bob Ryan, an aging movie producer in the HBO series "Entourage." The character's catchphrase, with an exaggerated idea followed by "would that be something you'd be interested in?" became something of a pop culture joke.
Guttman said funeral services will be private followed by a memorial service in August or September.

sensesmaybenumbed

George A. Romero - undead at 77.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77
Tre'vell AndersonContact Reporter
It was the night of April 4, 1968, and George A. Romero was driving to New York City from Pittsburgh on a mission: In the days to come he was to meet with film studios in hopes that one might buy the horror film he was lugging in his trunk, “Night of the Flesh Eaters.”

None of the studios was interested, but Romero still managed to get his $114,000 film in front of audiences that year. And though critics panned the picture, retitled “Night of the Living Dead,” moviegoers were mesmerized — packing theaters, hitting the drive-ins in droves and making Romero the father of the modern movie zombie. Romero’s “Living Dead” franchise went on to create a subgenre of horror movie whose influence across the decades has endured, seen in movies like “The Purge” and TV shows like “The Walking Dead.”

Romero died Sunday in his sleep after a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer,” according to a family statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. He was 77.

Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said.

Romero will be remembered best for co-writing (with John A. Russo) and directing “Night of the Living Dead,” which showed later generations of filmmakers such as Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter that generating big scares didn’t require big budgets. “Living Dead” spawned an entire school of zombie knockoffs, and Romero’s own sequels were 1978’s “Dawn of the Dead,” 1985’s “Day of the Dead,” 2005’s “Land of the Dead,” 2007’s “Diary of the Dead” and 2009’s “George A. Romero’s Survival of the Dead.”

Edgar Allan Poe short stories. His last credit as a writer was for his characters’ appearance in 2017’s “Day of the Dead” from director Hèctor Hernández Vicens.

The movies and TV shows that have taken their cues from Romero’s work — “World War Z,” “28 Days Later,” “Shaun of the Dead” — seem almost too numerous to count. And though the popularity of something like “The Walking Dead” would seem to be a compliment to Romero, he once called that juggernaut “a soap opera with a zombie occasionally.

“I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism, and I find that missing in what’s happening now,” he said in 2013.

But therein lies what set Romero apart, Braudy said.

“He remained true to his outside Hollywood roots,” he said, calling the filmmaker a “tremendous influence on the independent film industry because he didn’t have to be in Hollywood to make films that attracted wide audiences. He continues to be a lasting example of the idea that Hollywood needs to be reenergized from outside, independent perspectives.”

Romero is survived by his wife, his daughter, his son Andrew Romero and, from his earlier marriage to Christine Romero, his son Cam Romero.

horrie hastings

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/16/entertainment/actor-martin-landau-dies/index.html

Martin Landau, 89, a character actor who starred in the 1960s television show "Mission: Impossible" and won an Oscar for playing Bela Lugosi in the movie "Ed Wood," died Saturday, his publicist Dick Guttman said Sunday night.
Landau died at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles following "unexpected complications during a short hospitalization," Guttman said in a statement.
Landau was born June 28, 1928, in Brooklyn and worked as a cartoonist for the New York Daily News before becoming an actor, according to the Internet Movie Database.
Landau's career spanned the decades. In 1957 he had a part in the play "Middle of the Night," with Edward G. Robinson and ended up on the West Coast, according to the Internet Movie Database.
To the general public, Landau was best known to the public for playing master of disguise Rollin Hand for a top-secret spy team in the 1960s series "Mission: Impossible," in which his then-wife Barbara Bain also starred.
He was nominated for Emmys for each of his three seasons on the show and won the Golden Globe for best male TV star in 1968, IMDb said.
Landau and Bain left the series in 1969 in a salary dispute. His career suffered for about a decade and he was forced to take roles in now-forgotten movies such as "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island," IMDb said.
Landau's career picked up when he got a recurring role on the NBC comedy "Buffalo Bill," in which Dabney Coleman starred.
He was nominated for three Academy Awards for best supporting actor, for playing Abe Karatz in Francis Coppola's "Tucker" in 1988; the adulterous husband Judah Rosenthal in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors" in 1989; and the aging horror movie star Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in 1994. He won the Oscar for the "Ed Wood" role.
Landau's first big movie role was in Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest." He also had supporting roles in "Cleopatra" and other movies and appeared in numerous television shows, including "The Twilight Zone."
Near the end of his career, he played Bob Ryan, an aging movie producer in the HBO series "Entourage." The character's catchphrase, with an exaggerated idea followed by "would that be something you'd be interested in?" became something of a pop culture joke.
Guttman said funeral services will be private followed by a memorial service in August or September.

He was superb playing Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood. Also remember watching him in Space 1999 many years ago and I recently watched North By North West which he was also in.

RIP Martin.

Life's Good

His cameo in Entourage was very good.

Jono078

Chester from Linkin Park today committed suicide.

One of - actually no, MY favorite band through high school.

RIP.

mackdadday

Chester from Linkin Park today committed suicide.

One of - actually no, MY favorite bands through high school.

RIP.

Numb was an all-time great with some personal significance for me. Another sad loss in a world where its getting more and more common. :(

Had tickets to see Linkin Park and Blink play a concert in NY next month. Terrible news.

No chance LP continues without him, impossible voice to replace you would think

Lemon Squash

Dude WTF

I remember buying there first album when One Step Closer dropped it was fast, aggressive but overall a catchy tune and then they exploded from there.

I specifically remember listening to a song of there's in the car with my mum driving who knows sfa about alternative rock but she said 'if the man singing this song decided to quit rock music he could be the new Michael Bolton, he has an amazing voice' lol it was a backwards compliment

The sad thing is I'm pretty sure Chester sang a tribute at Chris Cornells funeral

Him and Chris were pretty good friends I believe. And today is Cornells birthday.

Absolutely gutted at the news this morning, we are losing too many human beings on this earth let alone all these talented musicians.

Linkin Park whilst they evolved and I personally wasn't a fan of their later offerings, those first 2 LP's were absolute money. Meteora got me through some challenging moments in my life back in my early 20's whilst away with work.

RIP Chester.

Bunnies_Pride

It's weird how a celebrity death effects you even though you never knew them personally. I think it's because it's the memories they are a part of. Like watching Robin Williams movies with my siblings, laughing along at the silliness or Jumanji and mrs doubtfire as kids, so when that celebrity dies so does a small part of those memories, they were the background to those memories.

I was never a Linkin Park fan, don't like that Punk Rock (or whatever you call there style of music) but for some reason Linkin Park always takes me back High School more then any musicians. It's like they were part of my early years of high school. Every time i hear Numb or in the end I'm transformed back to that high school courtyard.

So sad to hear this news this morning, especially the nature of his death

Hardcore_Fan

Was a fan of their first 3 albums, but slowly stopped listening to them after each new album because they were just bad albums.

Chester had an amazing set of lungs on him and was fortunate enough to see them play twice, their live shows are some of the best live shows I have seen from any band and I have seen hundreds of metal shows.

I guess we will never know why, what beave said probably has a lot to do with it. He was also copping a lot of hate from fans and other bands for the most recent releases.

But no way can linkin park move on from this as a band. Can't replace chesters voice

thorson1987

It's weird how a celebrity death effects you even though you never knew them personally. I think it's because it's the memories they are a part of. Like watching Robin Williams movies with my siblings, laughing along at the silliness or Jumanji and mrs doubtfire as kids, so when that celebrity dies so does a small part of those memories, they were the background to those memories.

I was never a Linkin Park fan, don't like that Punk Rock (or whatever you call there style of music) but for some reason Linkin Park always takes me back High School more then any musicians. It's like they were part of my early years of high school. Every time i hear Numb or in the end I'm transformed back to that high school courtyard.

So sad to hear this news this morning, especially the nature of his death

Yeah there has only been a few celeb deaths that have affected me. Peter Brock, Robin Williams, Chris Cornell and now Chester.