What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Preparation before games

As the song goes "I'm not a man who likes to swear" but for FFFFFS I cannot understand why the team played as it did today.

Yes the referees collectively made several bad calls we could have done without.

But why oh why were we trying to play touch footy against the Knights.

We started the game in first gear against a team that has been unlucky not to win several more games this year.

They were fast out of the blocks. We were pedestrian from the start and then fell in to the trap of playing catch up football instead of trying to win the grind.

Result, mistake after mistake. No discipline, no application of basics.

The team deserved what it got.

My question is why did the team turn up mentally unprepared for the Knights.

We took them lightly and paid the penalty.

Newcastle are improving. We have a superior roster on paper.

The coaching staff and the whole squad have much to answer for today.

Cannot see us making the 8 on that performance.

Over to you Mary to prove me wrong.

Life's Good

Coach
As the song goes "I'm not a man who likes to swear" but for FFFFFS I cannot understand why the team played as it did today.

Yes the referees collectively made several bad calls we could have done without.

We started the game in first gear against a team that has been unlucky not to win several more games this year.

They were fast out of the blocks. We were pedestrian from the start and then fell in to the trap of playing catch up football instead of trying to win the grind.

Because there are no consequences for poor performance.
Mary gets done for DUI and is given a 2 year extension. That says it all.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Spot on we are the last ranked team for mental toughtness. I think we have a really good forward pack and and a couple of good backs but when we have to fight to save a game or things get tough we choke all the time.

Gomarchin

Juniors
When we miss the 8 and finish 9th or 10th watch mcexcuse come out and say we overachieved this year. We were expected to finish bottom 2 but we went better than expected. Plus we made the finals in 2015 in case you forgot.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Dose mental mean you ha e brain.

Don't think the board, coach and most of our plying roster has one.

Case closed!

smi962

First Grade
When we miss the 8 and finish 9th or 10th watch mcexcuse come out and say we overachieved this year. We were expected to finish bottom 2 but we went better than expected. Plus we made the finals in 2015 in case you forgot.

Exactly there was probably no expectation to make the 8 at the start of year, we were one of the favourites for the spoon; so mcgregor will spin this year as a positive. However, given the fact we were entrenched in the top 4 with a very favorable run home in the second half of the season suggests it has been a massive fail. Mary can't get a team to play with consistency over a season for three years now.

The players are just as bad as the coach.

McCrone keeps kicking why on earth does Widdop not take more responsibility.
Lafai and his stupid flick passes why does he persist with it when its not working.
ill discipline by the entire team.
Drop balls from the same players over and over again.

OzDragon

Coach
Mental prep is one of mcwreckers many weaknesses. The Warriors game from last year or so highlighted that.

It's not friggin hard to pump up players. For example, I'd put every negative Dragons news article on the wall in the locker room. Show them what others really think of the teams ability.

Such simple shit like that, and Mary doesn't do any of it (albeit to my own knowledge)

OzDragon

Coach
Look at Melbourne today. Smith playing injured, no Slater yet they come out and don't miss a beat.
It's clear Bellamy drives a very simple message about what each players role is and they generally execute time & again.
Wanna know what I loved/pissed me off the most?

Cronk, just after the storm score a try, gets his backs and gives them very clear instructions. Even though the game was over, he was still 'coaching' the team. We have no one that will do that.

Absolutely no one.

Mary will not prove you wrong.

Life's Good

Coach
Wanna know what I loved/pissed me off the most?

Cronk, just after the storm score a try, gets his backs and gives them very clear instructions. Even though the game was over, he was still 'coaching' the team. We have no one that will do that.

Absolutely no one.
I thought the same. Mary gets no free pass because he clearly struggles to set the expectation at which the team should play. Couple this with a lack a voice on field and we a very poor in resetting the mood after we score or concede.

You have to question the players mentality aswell.

Do they really want to be successful or are they happy to just be playing in first grade.

possm

Coach
There's a poor attitude at the Dragons. It seems to me that most players just see playing football as a job. Win, lose or draw key players do not seem concerned at all. Just a game, some you win some you lose. That's the nature of the job.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I think the main problem our team has is they don't fear the coach. They don't respect him enough to have that sense of fear if they stuff up and or let him down.

No, our players are too chummy with the coach.

Let's face it, if McCrone can play crap for most the season and still stay in first grade, what example is that?

The Storm players obviously fear / respect Bellyache..... they know he won't cop any crap.

End of story.