What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators are leading the anti ref sentiment.

OldPanther

Coach
I just finished watching the games from last night and noriced this really obviously. It's not the first time just most recent. The commentary seem to pick a team and death ride the refs if calls go against them. Last night it was Gaz and the Raiders. Ine example was a loose carry was called against the Raiders and Gaz went off for 5 minutes about it normally being a strip and the refs need to be consistent. Well last week they got the same call in their favour with CHN being called for a loose carry. In the Cows match there was at least 3 times Brandy did it in favour of the Cows one of which was the marker pushing the bloke playing the ball and Brandy saying the play the ball was bad and no penalty. They need to bugger off, be impartial and leave the refs alone. /rant.

stormbati

Bench
It's human nature to favour the underdog when you're a neutral.
Storm, Broncos, Roosters get the most hate. Doesn't explain the Rabbits though

Life's Good

Coach
The commentators aren't driving it. It's spoken about during the game and then left there.
The ones driving it are the refs themselves(on field, Bunker, Archer)for the continued howlers. Get those right and the problem goes away.

OldPanther

Coach
The commentators aren't driving it. It's spoken about during the game and then left there.
The ones driving it are the refs themselves(on field, Bunker, Archer)for the continued howlers. Get those right and the problem goes away.

To be fair I don't think there have been a lot of objectively terrible calls. I can maybe pick 5 for the entire season and human error will always be a thing.

Life's Good

Coach
To be fair I don't think there have been a lot of objectively terrible calls. I can maybe pick 5 for the entire season and human error will always be a thing.
Agreed there will be human error and I am pretty sure most can live with that. As for the number I reckon its well above 5 but CBF trying to dig them all up.

OldPanther

Coach
People just want consistency. We are getting different ruck speeds and rule interpretations week to week.

I agree. I just can't stand hearing the commentary going on and on and on about a correct ruling being wrong because they don't know the rule or because it was exciting play (see Sharks obstruction)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Commentators bagging the ref has been happening for years and it's an ugly thing to listen to.Does the game no favours.

And people need to really get over the whole "consistency" thing. Players on both sides go out of their way to push the rules, slow down the ruck, things commentators often laugh off as "gamesmenship" depending on the players involved. The players are the ones who create so many of the 50-50 calls ijn the game and then whinge about consistency when some coin flips go against them. Fans just follow suit.

The idea that 34 players and 6 officials are going to achieve absolute consistency in comparison to an entirely separate set of 34 players and 6 officials from game to game week to week is ludicrous.

Things like obstruction/groundings/video ref etc - sure there should be more of a uniform consistency amongst those things, but unless people want the game slowed down so it's played out over a 2-3 hour period so everything can be checked then accept that in the moment of a fast moving sport where the refs don't get multiple replays and looks at everything, some things are going to be missed and sometimes the coin flip will go against you.

Absolute consistency is a myth that people refuse to let go of.

simmo05

Bench
I just finished watching the games from last night and noriced this really obviously. It's not the first time just most recent. The commentary seem to pick a team and death ride the refs if calls go against them. Last night it was Gaz and the Raiders. Ine example was a loose carry was called against the Raiders and Gaz went off for 5 minutes about it normally being a strip and the refs need to be consistent. Well last week they got the same call in their favour with CHN being called for a loose carry. In the Cows match there was at least 3 times Brandy did it in favour of the Cows one of which was the marker pushing the bloke playing the ball and Brandy saying the play the ball was bad and no penalty. They need to bugger off, be impartial and leave the refs alone. /rant.
Yes. They just need to call the game. Everyone knows when there is a f**kup, however the likes of gould just go on about it for the entire game. Also agree about the impartiality. Nothing worse than constantly hearing certain callers bagging your team all game eg. Anasta vs the tigers. But thats what happens when the networks rely on ex players, rather than profesionals

OldPanther

Coach
Commentators bagging the ref has been happening for years and it's an ugly thing to listen to.Does the game no favours.

And people need to really get over the whole "consistency" thing. Players on both sides go out of their way to push the rules, slow down the ruck, things commentators often laugh off as "gamesmenship" depending on the players involved. The players are the ones who create so many of the 50-50 calls ijn the game and then whinge about consistency when some coin flips go against them. Fans just follow suit.

The idea that 34 players and 6 officials are going to achieve absolute consistency in comparison to an entirely separate set of 34 players and 6 officials from game to game week to week is ludicrous.

Things like obstruction/groundings/video ref etc - sure there should be more of a uniform consistency amongst those things, but unless people want the game slowed down so it's played out over a 2-3 hour period so everything can be checked then accept that in the moment of a fast moving sport where the refs don't get multiple replays and looks at everything, some things are going to be missed and sometimes the coin flip will go against you.

Absolute consistency is a myth that people refuse to let go of.

I like this.

simmo05

Bench
In the heat of the moment most fans blow up about shit calls (especially me!) but after the game most realise the reason they lost is the team wasnt good enough. The constant bullshit from the media has led to the current situation with 2 refs, bunkers, etc. The constant stoppages reduce the impact of fatigue, which leads to other issues. I would like to see one ref, no video ref, and just accept that sometimes things might get buggered up

Grapple

Bench
I think if you largely ignore Gus, the problem goes away. To continually question the officiating whilst commentating is so ridiculously obnoxious it just makes you sound like a tired old fool.

Latest posts