What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

davi

Juniors
Its pathetic that there are areas screamin for RL that cant get a single game, yet this is the crap dished up by Sydney fans...

Its just what happens when a market is so saturated. Fans become lazy and entitled

Is anyone surprised anymore that the the only decent crowds are outside of the "heartland"?

The Sydney tag as the heartland of rugby league has withered away for a long time. Gus Gould declared about 7 years ago that Brisbane is now the capital of rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Settle down people. Greenbergs response to the poor Sydney crowds is............(drum roll)

After the weekend, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg struck a downtrodden tone on the figures.
"Sydney average crowds have not changed for the best part of two decades — they are usually 1 or 2 per cent up or down annually, year on year," he told reporters, admitting he was "a little disappointed" by the numbers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...-finals-crowd-after-embarrassing-week/8894694

So there you have it, crowds have always been sht so what's the problem?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greenberg 3 and half years ago. You cant rush these things!
March 2014
NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has conceded the NRL has plenty of work to do if they are to overcome the disappointing crowds that have overshadowed the opening two matches of the season.
“Would we like more? Yes we would.
“I’m not suggesting we wouldn’t like bigger numbers, absolutely we would and we’ll work really hard to make sure we improve it.
“We were never going to get 50,000 to that game last night, that was never in our projections. We would’ve liked more and we’ll work as hard as we can with members and fans.’’

https://www.foxsports.com.au/todd-g...98ebeb3be?sv=28b4e7712bb08dc28934baf168cdc39c

adamkungl

Immortal
Not correct. Kogarah had.Titans,Warriors,Newcastle all out of Sydney.

Only had 1 Sydney game Sharks which we drew a good crowd and Panthers which are a poor crowd puller just about everywhere.

5 games 3 of them out of Sydney teams.plus Penrith not really a Sydney team.

It wasn't like your suggesting at all.

Kogarah had it just as bad as win if not worse.

Win had Manly, Parramatta Storm, Cowboys.

Slightly better for Win than Kogarah.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story! The big drawing clubs played at ANZ,SCG and Alliance.

Wollongong
Parra, Sun, 16k
Nth QLD, Sat, 14k
Melb, Sun, 12k
Manly, Sun, 17k

Kogarah
Penrith, Sat, 7k
NZ, Sun, 12k
Cron, Fri, 16k
Newc, Sun, 10k
GC, Sat, 9k

SCG/ANZ
Souths, Fri, 12k
Wests, Sat, 13k
Dogs, Sun, 22k

"Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!"

Hmm...One of these is a clear 3rd place whichever way you spin it.

papabear

Juniors
Wollongong
Parra, Sun, 16k
Nth QLD, Sat, 14k
Melb, Sun, 12k
Manly, Sun, 17k

Kogarah
Penrith, Sat, 7k
NZ, Sun, 12k
Cron, Fri, 16k
Newc, Sun, 10k
GC, Sat, 9k

SCG/ANZ
Souths, Fri, 12k
Wests, Sat, 13k
Dogs, Sun, 22k

I agree with your point re Wollongong pulling better then Kogarah.

I also think the above shows in general a better crowd result then the 10 Crowds easts got at home, given st george finished 9th Very up then down year, as opposed to easts who finished 2nd on a mostly up year.

I am personally surprised st george hasnt elected to run 6 games out of wollongong, and 6 games out of sfs/kogarah.

King Ben

Juniors
Surely Parra fans will do better than the three derp Sydney teams last week?
You'd think so. I think the fact they didn't play in Sydney last week will help. Well done if they manage to get a bumper crowd, it's a big ask of some supporters to attend 3 finals matches in a row if they keep winning.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You still pay money for the use of that ground.You still spend twice as much in your football dept as the Sharks.You still get outbid by the GWS Gnats to the tune of $2m pa over 10 years.

I stated you did get coin from your Leagues clubs and a far swag of money to go to the football club.Clubs are trying to wean themselves off relying on poker machine monies.I guess in about 50 years the viking clappers will think about doing the same LOL.

The Sharks leagues club will be Landlords not tenants FFS receiving $1m rental pa form their retail development,including a Woolworths supermarket.In addition part of the profits on sales of at least 400 units.Throw in a planned hotel and an additional 200 units awaiting approval.Yeah terrible position LOL.

Bruno Cullen would laugh your 2nd last line re finances.

No we have sand buggies ,which run up and down our wonderful beaches and the ever changing surf, by comparison to the still waters of Lake Barely Tolerable.Mate has a deep sea fishing boat, and charters it out, yeah area is morris minor material.The carp going well in the Lake ?
And we are free of Federal Politicians ,that's worth the price of entry.

You cover a population of 400,000 plus people, the Shire 230,000 .If you can't get a bigger average then your mob is as week as.And BTW they are not averaging thousands more.

You still missed the finals and we were premiers.Thanks for reminding merit;'s music to my ears.

and you pay for the upkeep of your ground as you own it , thats a cost we don't have
we spend twice as much as you in your football dept .... because we can.
you couldn't afford our football dept spend.

$1m rental per annum ?
hahahaha... chump change like i thought
youre put put putting along as I said like a morris minor .. you are not in the Raiders League financially & you've confirmed it
And as ive said many times , the shire is just Batemans bay 300kms to the north lol

If you can't beat us in average crowds & memberships in a year where we didn't make the finals & you were the defending premiers
guess what ... you never will : )

lets see how you go when you win your 2nd title ... in another 49 years lol
oh hang on .. wait

you'll be in Perth in less then 10 : )

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
The upkeep is part of the football costs ,of which we pay far less than your mob.Yet with our spend we won last year and made the semis this year.Resources well spent.
The $1m p.a. is only for retail maestro, there are other revenue streams eg the refurbished leagues club, and the final profit tally on unit sales,.hardly chicken feed.
If the Govt,s bring in higher poker machine taxes ,that'll put the cat among your pigeons.

When you play interstate teams on a Thursday night, of which your mob has had next to zero this year your crowds get screwed.

We get our crowds with a stadium that is not an all seater and will be down the line.As your average this year is only 1,144 more,I'd suggest you be a tad humble, for a city with twice the population and aiming for semis, it's nothing to wet your strides about.

Cripes a team that plays down there 4 times a year gets $2m pa gratis from the ACT Govt,great lobbying LOL.
LOL we have survived nearly 3 almost closures ,and we are in one of the best positions of many NRL clubs.
Bruno Cullen says thanks your Perth comments, he likes your comedy routine.

Bateman's Bay surf is an absolute ripper, they'll have the National Surf Championships there soon.

Emu01

Juniors
Wollongong
Parra, Sun, 16k
Nth QLD, Sat, 14k
Melb, Sun, 12k
Manly, Sun, 17k

Kogarah
Penrith, Sat, 7k
NZ, Sun, 12k
Cron, Fri, 16k
Newc, Sun, 10k
GC, Sat, 9k

SCG/ANZ
Souths, Fri, 12k
Wests, Sat, 13k
Dogs, Sun, 22k

You twisted the story mate.. Your Quote was. "Win Dwarfed Kogarah despite hosting out of state teams"

They played Manly,Parramatta. Kogarah would have virtually sold out both those games.. They are not interstate teams but massive crowd pullers you puppet!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Culling teams won't do anything but further alienate an already disenfranchised NRL fan base. Culling a team just means those fans stop following the game full stop.
s

Given most fans get their NRL fix via the TV, it wont matter to them if the game is in their own suburb or off in China..

The only people effected are th fans who turn up, and give there are only 10k of these for these small Sydney clubs, thats not a huge price for a team in a new market.

And, most of these fans will move to other, more engaged Sydney teams anyway.

Stallion

First Grade
Given most fans get their NRL fix via the TV, it wont matter to them if the game is in their own suburb or off in China..

The only people effected are th fans who turn up, and give there are only 10k of these for these small Sydney clubs, thats not a huge price for a team in a new market.

Absolute crap. I know plenty of people that dont follow rugby league anymore that were fans of North Sydney and Balmain. Your ignorance is consistent with your lack of feel for the game and its cultural significance. The cultural significance and relevance is the main aspect you ignore in your scant regard for longstanding clubs in Sydney .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolute crap. I know plenty of people that dont follow rugby league anymore that were fans of North Sydney and Balmain. Your ignorance is consistent with your lack of feel for the game and its cultural significance. The cultural significance and relevance is the main aspect you ignore in your scant regard for longstanding clubs in Sydney .

18k melbourne >>>>>> 10k north Sydney. Good cull decision

papabear

Juniors
and you pay for the upkeep of your ground as you own it , thats a cost we don't have
we spend twice as much as you in your football dept .... because we can.
you couldn't afford our football dept spend.

$1m rental per annum ?
hahahaha... chump change like i thought
youre put put putting along as I said like a morris minor .. you are not in the Raiders League financially & you've confirmed it
And as ive said many times , the shire is just Batemans bay 300kms to the north lol

If you can't beat us in average crowds & memberships in a year where we didn't make the finals & you were the defending premiers
guess what ... you never will : )

lets see how you go when you win your 2nd title ... in another 49 years lol
oh hang on .. wait

you'll be in Perth in less then 10 : )
Im all for supporting our club and our team.

But being arrogant about our club we should leave to the other clubs (broncos etc)

papabear

Juniors
Norths didnt get culled for melbourne.

Perth did.

Norths got culled out of stupidity, the northern eagles should have either been made to work or kicked out of the comp as a joint entity into nsw cup as such, not just rebranded back into the manly sea eagles.

papabear

Juniors

This!!! or some of those same fans will just go for the same club in its relocated location just going to away games instead.

Stallion

First Grade

Your ignorance and lack of understanding of what longstanding clubs give to a competition is so wrong. When a club is decimated / almagamated / relegated it does immense damage to that area and the perception of the code by the general public. Given that the game is confronted with other codes gaining an advantage from this low regard/perception of the NRL your stance is not good for rugby league. I have no issue with additional clubs and that should be the stance 'additional clubs' not dilluting established markets even if they may be dormant fans. They are still fans! Instead of the game self imploding look to genuinely expand ! The positivity surrounding additional clubs discourse far outways regressive/ negative stances associated with almagamating, relocation and relegation.