What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
This chart includes the finals. Otherwise how would the Titans have a higher average than the Roosters while having a lower total? Looking at the averages, and where teams finished, missed tackles are clearly a very poor indicator of success on-field.
Your point? We missed more tackles than any other team AND had a higher average missed tackle count.

We arent going to compete for the top 4 if we average 40 missed tackles a game and become the most penalised team in the competition. We would be bottom 4.

Maloney gave away 36 penalties and missed 121 tackles. A huge jump in both stats on his previous year as he is on the decline.

But hey... worst defensive player joins the worst defensive team... what could go wrong? Every rep signing we have made lately has been a great pay off. Look at them all picked for Australia this year

Frankus

Juniors
Your point? We missed more tackles than any other team AND had a higher average missed tackle count.

We arent going to compete for the top 4 if we average 40 missed tackles a game and become the most penalised team in the competition. We would be bottom 4.

Maloney gave away 36 penalties and missed 121 tackles. A huge jump in both stats on his previous year as he is on the decline.

But hey... worst defensive player joins the worst defensive team... what could go wrong? Every rep signing we have made lately has been a great pay off. Look at them all picked for Australia this year

I think you are overlooking two things -
1. the toll defending a premiership takes - everyone lines up to knock off the premiers each week. I think that definitely contributed. When was the last time a defending premier had a better season than the previous year? Probably have to go back to 97-98 or 92-93.
2. When was the last time we had a solid defensive line? I honestly don't remember being confident in our defence in the past decade.

I tend to agree - I don't think Maloney is the answer, but if we lose Moylan he is the best available as Cronk is going to retire.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Merrin on the BSB this morning.
http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/IMAe0q.mp3

He didn't sound overly convincing on what was going on with Moylan.The players haven't been told a word and in Merrin's opinion its up to Moylan on what he does.

Merrin was confident Moylan would stay on the basis of what Moylan said at Mad Monday 2 weeks ago. He told the playing group he was adamant he was staying.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Gould has just said in his speech that Akuaola is the only player leaving and we will not be recruiting any players from outside the club for next year. I guess we will find out soon if that is true.

Things change. Gould has said similar things before. He said we were all done last year and then a month later he recruited Mitch Rein.
I don't think we are done yet. The next month will be interesting.
If Mitch Rein gets an offer he will go.

Blues Riff

Bench
Cleary said at the awards that he hoped to win the comp in a couple of years.That is were I got my notion from.If he said a few years,I'd be confident of him staying longer.See what two more years unfolds.
You're drawing a long bow there Gong. Even the Telegraph would be proud of that one.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
WRONG Gong.

He is contracted to us UNTIL the end of 2019.

2020 he is a free agent. Who knows his dad maybe be sacked by then the way Tigers go through coaches.

Cleary doesn't want to play for his old man. He's said that now a number of times, he wants his dad to be his dad, not his Boss.

TheFrog

Coach
Your point?
I thought my point was clear. Missing the most tackles did not prevent us being in the last 6 standing. Nor did it prevent the Cowboys, Broncos, Eagles, Eels or Sharks making the playoffs. As a means of gauging a team's likelihood of doing well on the field, missed tackles is about as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.

TheFrog

Coach
People on here think Moylan is gold. He is a great ball player but unproven in halves.
Might be a flop. Also to slow for fullback and defemse is poo so no chance of moving back there.
He is a proven match winner, despite having shortcomings which need to be covered by the team. That's why the Sharks and Tigers, and goodness knows who else, want him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan is clutch as f**k and has carried our attack since his debut
The fact alot of top teams are trying to signs him proves he is not just overrated by us fans.

Nor were the likes of Jennings, Coote and Lewis. People try to justify us losing players by saying they arent as good as we think... they then go and win premierships while the guys these same people are raving about us signing come in and do shit all.

The thing holding our players back is our team. Its also why so many international careers die when players sign here

Lewis - attitude problem
Jennings - attitude problem
Seg - attitude problem
Moylan - attitude problem

or maybe Gus is just a bit of a flog

Lewis - attitude problem
Jennings - attitude problem
Seg - attitude problem
Moylan - attitude problem

or maybe Gus is just a bit of a flog

Letting Seg go was the right call IMO given that after 1 break out year after that he was just predictable and worse than Wallace in that he would dance around dummy half rather than give fast quick passes. Happy with Jennings going too. Would have liked to have kept Lewis as he would be the perfect, experienced leader for our squad atm.

age.s

First Grade
So the spine. A rookie spine basically of Cleary,May,Edwards and old man wallace.

Maybe to Penrith fans this is the spine of greatness but too the general footy fan it looks like one of worse spines in the comp. They managed to reel off 8 or 9 wins at season end.

Firstly, Edwards, Moylan, Cleary and Wallace are our actual spine. May should be evaluated as depth.

Edwards is a gun. I don't care if other teams fans haven't woken up to that. They will in time.

Cleary is a bit overhyped by other teams fans if anything. He's an amazing prospect but hes still 19 and isn't an elite halfback yet. He's just a good player who has great moments.

Wallace had a great 2016 and started 2017 well enough to be in Origin contention. He got injured and came back a notably worse player. He might come back rejuvenated in 2018 but if not he's a weak spot in the spine.

Which brings us to Moylan. He's obviously a very talented player with an incredibly high ceiling. I think most fans of any club would agree that if properly utilised he would be a strong contender for origin. Whether he's there yet is debatable, whether he could be there isnt.

My point is that while they're not the big 3, that's a pretty good spine for a team who isn't still benefiting from the worst salary cap rort of all time. There are no spines in the comp with no weaknesses. If Moylan displays the ability we know he has I'd have ours comfortably in the top half of the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.