What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

davi

Juniors
English super league club Warrington Wolves has announced Cronulla assistant Steve Price has been appointed head coach of the club.

Life's Good

Coach
As it stands McGregor is making Price look like a coaching genius.
Good on Price though. Hope he goes well because he was given nowhere near the support McGregor is getting.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
I might get knocked for this but I would certainly open to Chris Sandow playing for the Broncos.

1) Wayne Bennett is a big fan of Sandow's game
2) Bennett has ability of dealing with players with issues (Darius Boyd, James Roberts)
3) Has shown he can get the best of the players who's careers are on the slide (Benji Marshall, Adam Blair). Admittly Blair can still be inconsistent.
4) Broncos could use a spare halfback with Ben Hunt's departure.

Sandow made a terrible mistake with the fight, as for walking out on Warrington it certainly could of been handled better. But he is not the first player to get homesick, and he won't be the last and Sandow comes from a closenit rural indigenous community so it probably isn't right to be so judgmental on his departure from England.

"SANDOW COMEBACK A CHANCE

DON’T be surprised if former South Sydney Rabbitohs and Parramatta Eels halfback Chris Sandow makes an NRL comeback next year. Despite his off-field issues, Sandow has never been banned by the NRL.

The 28-year-old played in the Koori knockout last weekend and is planning to play in the Queensland Cup next season. There is talk the Broncos might be interested now that Ben Hunt has gone to St George Illawarra and Benji Marshall to the Wests Tigers.

It would be interesting to see if Wayne Bennett could get him back to his best.

Another Sydney-based club has also made discreet inquiries in recent weeks."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/54bebf0c6b2abf17a273a071a04da98c

Spot On

Coach
Do Brisbane not already have a half that doesn't tackle? Surely Benny can't carry 2 of them even if Sandow plays for a beer and boxing gloves.

WireMan

Bench
Going to reserve judgement on Price as I don't know much about him.
What style of play does he like?

Sandow didn't leave because he was home sick...

Pedge1971

First Grade
I might get knocked for this but I would certainly open to Chris Sandow playing for the Broncos.

2) Bennett has ability of dealing with players with issues (Darius Boyd, James Roberts)
3) Has shown he can get the best of the players who's careers are on the slide (Benji Marshall, Adam Blair). Admittly Blair can still be inconsistent.

Sandow made a terrible mistake with the fight, as for walking out on Warrington it certainly could of been handled better. But he is not the first player to get homesick, and he won't be the last and Sandow comes from a closenit rural indigenous community so it probably isn't right to be so judgmental on his departure from England.

DON’T be surprised if former South Sydney Rabbitohs and Parramatta Eels halfback Chris Sandow makes an NRL comeback next year. Despite his off-field issues, Sandow has never been banned by the NRL.

The 28-year-old played in the Koori knockout last weekend and is planning to play in the Queensland Cup next season. There is talk the Broncos might be interested now that Ben Hunt has gone to St George Illawarra and Benji Marshall to the Wests Tigers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/54bebf0c6b2abf17a273a071a04da98c

Please make this happen. Def not the 1st player to go to Brisbane "homesick" Davi....

Spot On

Coach
When Price was in charge at the Dragons and had won a few games he was being interviewed and was asked what he was finding to be the harder aspects of the job......

He said he found doing the media side of the job most difficult and that the coaching was the easy part.....

That didnt last long.

First Grade

lol@ bennet having the ability to deal with boyds problem the chicken heart has not played for anyone but uncle wayne therefore he has been there for all of his problems

Life's Good

Coach
'Dragons footy'
Oh those were some dark times(still the case).
We had a string of losses and the media were bagging Price. We somehow jagged a win against the odds and in the press conference Price made a comment ‘we pulled some pants down today’ intimating the media should go EAD. Suffice to say he was booted not long after.
He also had this habit of burping discreetly whilst being interviewed.

Grapple

Bench

Sandow is rubbish. He rode the hype train at Souths and cashed in with Parra only to see his real value eventually exposed. He doesn't have the brain to be a great, and it shows.

Broncos and their fans would be in a lot better position if they stopped thinking of Bennett as their Lord and Saviour and trusting in him as if their club was some kind of divine rehab centre for the undisciplined, and instead sticked to developing and retaining their own talent - especially when things get tough.

davi

Juniors
Going to reserve judgement on Price as I don't know much about him.
What style of play does he like?

Sandow didn't leave because he was home sick...

He didn't leave because he was homesick? I find it hard to believe he left $400 000 on the table for any other motivation. It certainly wasn't for playing for the money he is on in intrust super cup.

Sandow pretty much said that he didn't technically 'walk out' on Warrington. He came back home in the offseason was around family and friends and didn't want to leave and go back over. From what I recall he sent a text message to his manager telling him he wasn't going back.

But feel free to reply and let me know if there was more too it.

Exsilium

First Grade
As a head coach he wasn't much chop in the NRL, but we've gotta remember he replaced Bennett who basically leaves a hex on a club before bailing out.

However as an assistant he was part of both St Merge's and Cronulla's maiden premierships.

Some NRL coaches make great assistants to even better coaches because they perform better as part of a system rather than being the top nut. Head coaching in the NRL is a highly reactive arena. Plenty of coaches have been understudies to the great ones but few rarely are afforded time, budget and resources to succeed.

We have this preset idea that success has to be immediate but coaching takes time and a number of systems and internal processes are required to be successful. Coaches like Brown and Barrett will be successful long term. Mark my words. Simply because the clubs are giving them every opportunity to succeed.

Best of luck to pricey.

Latest posts