What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbit toes

First Grade
If and this is a big IF, rumours of Cronk to roosters were true and Pearce was looking to be offloaded, if Mitchell or another player was thrown in to sweeten the deal, I wouldn't be totally pissed off. Depending on who that player was obviously

southsport

First Grade
I'd love to get Mitchell & the Butcher boys. Cronk would be nice, to. Help yhe Woosters, not so mutch.

I'm starting to get my topical off season bouts of optimism. I actually like the side as it stands.

Do we need the Butcher boys? I'm struggling to think where we could fit them in.

I'm optimistic for the seasons ahead too, I think we might be coming out of the darkness.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Souths appoint willie peters

Willie Peters has earned a coaching reprieve at South Sydney after he was sacked by Manly last month following a post-season NRL bust up.

Peters will take up a development role under new coach Anthony Seibold at the Rabbitohs, a club where he played 38 games in the halves for in two stints between 1997 and 2004.

"Willie Peters is developing into a fine young coach and we're happy to be able to bring him home to the Rabbitohs in this important development role," Souths general manager Shane Richardson said.

Peters will work closely with the younger players in the Rabbitohs' NRL squad, as well as the club's junior teams.

The appointment is the first in former assistant Seibold's new tenure as Rabbitohs coach, after he was announced as a replacement for Michael Maguire last month.

Peters was a junior coach at Souths between 2009 and 2015, before he took up the Wests Tigers' under-20s role in 2016.

He moved to Manly as an assistant at the start of this season, but that ended badly when police were called to break up a fight between he and fellow assistant Dan Ferris in the week after the Sea Eagles' finals exit.

Peters was issued an infringement notice by police, and was released by the Sea Eagles two days later as reports emerged of bullying at the club.

callmack1

Staff member
Souths appoint willie peters

Willie Peters has earned a coaching reprieve at South Sydney after he was sacked by Manly last month following a post-season NRL bust up.

Peters will take up a development role under new coach Anthony Seibold at the Rabbitohs, a club where he played 38 games in the halves for in two stints between 1997 and 2004.

"Willie Peters is developing into a fine young coach and we're happy to be able to bring him home to the Rabbitohs in this important development role," Souths general manager Shane Richardson said.

Peters will work closely with the younger players in the Rabbitohs' NRL squad, as well as the club's junior teams.

The appointment is the first in former assistant Seibold's new tenure as Rabbitohs coach, after he was announced as a replacement for Michael Maguire last month.

Peters was a junior coach at Souths between 2009 and 2015, before he took up the Wests Tigers' under-20s role in 2016.

He moved to Manly as an assistant at the start of this season, but that ended badly when police were called to break up a fight between he and fellow assistant Dan Ferris in the week after the Sea Eagles' finals exit.

Peters was issued an infringement notice by police, and was released by the Sea Eagles two days later as reports emerged of bullying at the club.
Seems like a good appointment. Just hope his days of trouble are over.

callmack1

Staff member
Do we need the Butcher boys? I'm struggling to think where we could fit them in.

I'm optimistic for the seasons ahead too, I think we might be coming out of the darkness.
I'm optimistic too, just not getting ahead of myself as I said the same thing about ten months ago haha.

De tmTrajic

Juniors

Admittedly, my only gripe about the Butcher boys is that they have gone to the Woosters. Hate to see Luke doing so well with darkside.

doyen

Bench
I would like to see us get away from the very big cumbersome forwards & have all of ours around the 100 to 105 kgs---very mobile types--lean & mean!!
None of these monsters like Tom & George--they're too slow in attack & defence.

All of these lighter forwards must be tigerish defenders who will tackle all day.

Forwards who can take advantage of the huge sloths in attack when they run out of puff.

I would welcome a great young forward like Nat Butcher, who is very similar to Murray & a future star.
Players like Crichton,Fui,Murray,Britt etc should dominate our streamlined pack.

Sam,a big but mobile man, obviously must be there in the engine room to carry the flag & lead from the front.

I'd love to see Sths as trend setters with this approach!

Last edited:

Dogmatix

Juniors
doyen

these were the weights of the forwards from the all conquering Melbourne Storm team

Bromwich J 114kg
McLean 115kg
Kaufusi 109kg
Harris 112kg
Finucane 102kg

Bromwich K 105kg
Glasby 104kg
Asofa-Solomona 115kg

From this you want your forwards to be between 102kg and 115kg

100kg to 105kg is too small for most of your forwards in the modern era

southsport

First Grade
With respect, who have you guys signed besides Gagai that will signigicantly make a difference?

It's a young squad and will only get better, Souths need to re-sign Crichton, another winger and front-rower would be nice for 2018, back-row is well covered so the Butcher boys would be surplus imo.

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
Gabe Hamlin our NYC best and fairest was stolen by the Wigan Warriors through maguire's reccomendation.

On Pat Richards recommendation

Unfortunate perhaps from our point of view but at least he won't be playing against us, well maybe in the preseason, but you get the picture

But for him i think its fantastic, a chance to see some of the world whilst young & still have the opportunity to come back & play in the NRL

I was in London, living in 1997, a mate of mine was playing for London so i got the chance to see a fair bit of them play & i noticed a young 19 year old absolutely carving it up, i'd never heard of Tony Martin & assumed that he was a young englishman, but alas he travelled to Super League at a young age, completely bucking the trend of going over when you're past your best & i remember thinking good on him, living the life less ordinary & didn't he turn out to be a good player

Perhaps he'll come back to us one day if he kicks on, we can watch him closely while not having to pay him, see it like we've farmed him out on loan if you will

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
On Pat Richards recommendation

Unfortunate perhaps from our point of view but at least he won't be playing against us, well maybe in the preseason, but you get the picture

But for him i think its fantastic, a chance to see some of the world whilst young & still have the opportunity to come back & play in the NRL

I was in London, living in 1997, a mate of mine was playing for London so i got the chance to see a fair bit of them play & i noticed a young 19 year old absolutely carving it up, i'd never heard of Tony Martin & assumed that he was a young englishman, but alas he travelled to Super League at a young age, completely bucking the trend of going over when you're past your best & i remember thinking good on him, living the life less ordinary & didn't he turn out to be a good player

Perhaps he'll come back to us one day if he kicks on, we can watch him closely while not having to pay him, see it like we've farmed him out on loan if you will

He was a no frills front rower from what I saw. Looks to be in the mould of a Clark type player. Played a fair few games for U20's as well. I don't know if we offered him a contract either. Seems unlikely that we did if he went straight over to England.

Latest posts