What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC

callmack1

Staff member
Well, you were right R20 haha.

Yes, Aus were good but Fiji was very disappointing tonight. Showed heart but their attack was woeful. They just looked all at sea and it's such a shame considering the way they were attacking in pool play. Didn't vary the attack either, it was constantly out the back, second man plays. Their kicking game was very poor too.

It's a real shame as I really wanted them to challenge The Kangaroos.

How about Holmes though!!! Five last week, six tonight. Insane!!

Gagai was also very good.

callmack1

Staff member
Game today is going to be amazing! It's a sell out at Mt Smart and they reckon it'll be the biggest crowd there in 22 years - most of them will be Tonga fans too!

English Rose

Juniors
Wow that was a close game!

Both Sam and Tom had a good game for England today.

Tonga's comeback only started to happen once Sam Burgess left the field. Think we will be seeing him play the full 80 minutes in the final next week as I doubt Bennett will make that mistake again!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Wow that was a close game!

Both Sam and Tom had a good game for England today.

Tonga's comeback only started to happen once Sam Burgess left the field. Think we will be seeing him play the full 80 minutes in the final next week as I doubt Bennett will make that mistake again!

That was a fantastic game. Congrats to England for pulling through. I thought Sam Burgess was absolutely solid on that edge. Really looked good. If Thomas can keep up that same form in the NRL season I'll be stoked.

callmack1

Staff member
Yea lads, what a game! Really good to watch and Tonga's comeback was amazing. How about the crowd too? Biggest crowd they've had at Mr Smart in 22 years they reckon.

I really enjoyed the style of footy both teams play and it was great to see England in particular open up. Some big hits too.

Tonga played well but England were great, especially their defence. If they can play like that next week, they'll give Aus a run for their money.

Sam and Tom were very good today.

Tonga will be disappointed for sure but they have sooo much to be proud of, they've come so far and have done wonders for the game.

callmack1

Staff member
What's everyone's opinion of the last play?

Pretty controversial and I 100% thought it should have been sent upstairs! Cecchin could've just costed Tonga a World Cup.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Pretty controversial and I 100% thought it should have been sent upstairs! Cecchin could've just costed Tonga a World Cup.

I didn't mind it. I thought it was a knock on anyway. Tonga left the comeback for way too late. I think they're officially a tier 1 nation after this World Cup though. They have to be ranked above New Zealand.

It's basically exactly like the 2017 grand final. Doesn't matter who plays they're still gonna get beaten by the storm or in this case Australia.

English Rose

Juniors

I think the ref should have at least checked it with the Video Ref but looking at the replays it was a loose carry so would still have probably been a no-try.

Pommy

Coach

Sent it upstairs for what? It’s a lose carry no try, why send it upstairs? It would have gone up as a no try and the ref can’t determine that he played at the ball and not the player. The outcome would have been the same but an Englishman would have had the final say.
It was nice to see a team I don’t support have a catastrophic ball security error for a change.

ThingFish

Juniors

I agree with Pommy. It would have been sent upstairs as a no try anyway and it would have been a massive call to over rule. For mine it was a loose carry, and either Fifita knocked it on, or if it was stripped it was stripped into Fifita anyway and it was a knock on by England. Either way full time, England win.

Either way a LOT of class by the Tongan supporters, many other countries fans would have rioted.

Thadius

Juniors
It was a loose carry for your life and he lost it cold.

Glad England got through though, as the two best sides are playing the final.

Roos still win of course, but they won't have the absolute picnic they would have had against Tonga.

Travitoh

First Grade

I like that the ref backed himself in. To make the decision. As has already been said, if it went upstairs it wouldn't have been overturned.
End of the day, Tonga allowed them to get out to a 20-0 lead. Can't blame anyone but themselves.

I think they're officially a tier 1 nation after this World Cup though. They have to be ranked above New Zealand.

If they're going to be classed as a tier one nation, they need guys like Fifita and Taumalolo amongst others to commit to them.
Great tournament for them but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I like that the ref backed himself in. To make the decision. As has already been said, if it went upstairs it wouldn't have been overturned.
End of the day, Tonga allowed them to get out to a 20-0 lead. Can't blame anyone but themselves.

If they're going to be classed as a tier one nation, they need guys like Fifita and Taumalolo amongst others to commit to them.

Tbh I can't see why guys like Taumololo wouldn't commit to them. New Zealand was flat out terrible this year. Where's the incentive for him to return? As for Fifita I definitely can't see why he would return to Australia. He knows that he could of been in the team that won the World Cup but decided to play for Tonga due to his love for his own nation. I can see more Tongans actually deferring from their teams and joining them if I'm being completely honest.

I understand that they've still got to prove themselves in the long run and that's a fair comment

Pommy

Coach

They’re not going to be a tier 1 nation. They are f**ked if they are as it gets very murky with players and origin if they do become a tier 1 nation.

Pommy

Coach
Tbh I can't see why guys like Taumololo wouldn't commit to them. New Zealand was flat out terrible this year. Where's the incentive for him to return? As for Fifita I definitely can't see why he would return to Australia. He knows that he could of been in the team that won the World Cup but decided to play for Tonga due to his love for his own nation. I can see more Tongans actually deferring from their teams and joining them if I'm being completely honest.

I understand that they've still got to prove themselves in the long run and that's a fair comment

Lol on the whole Fifita thing, it’s not his nation he’s an Australian born and bred indeginous australian Tongan who has so much love for Tonga that only a few months ago he walked out on them at the last minute. Why is everyone forgetting that he actually did that? He has two nations and he has turned his back on both of them in the space of six months.