What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will succeed Billy Slater as No. 1 full back?

Who will succeed Billy Slater as world's No 1 full back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With 44 votes in James Tedesco is still holding a clear lead on 13, with Tom Trbojevic on 10 and Morgan Escare on 7 just pipping Kaylin Ponga on 6..

Interestingly the underrated PNG flyer David Mead is starting to make a move up, and he is on 3 votes.

The_Shield

Juniors
With 44 votes in James Tedesco is still holding a clear lead on 13, with Tom Trbojevic on 10 and Morgan Escare on 7 just pipping Kaylin Ponga on 6..

Interestingly the underrated PNG flyer David Mead is starting to make a move up, and he is on 3 votes.
Cameron Munster has my vote. Don’t forget to include other votes.

Also this is really bugging me, it’s Kalyn Ponga, not Kaylin Ponga

Exsilium

First Grade
It is really a tough one.

Teddy is a good player but lacks the awareness of Billy.

Inglis, when fit, is just as effective and brings with him experience and the ability to create something out of nothing but his legs are shot. Knee particularly.

Ponga is hard to judge so early on. Let him play some games first.

Out of that list id have to say Teddy by a whisker but Turbo will get exponentially better with time.

I'll lock in RTS to go to another level next year.

James Tedesco maintains his lead on 15, with Tommy Turbo second on 10, but the dynamic Frenchman Morgan Escare is third and creeping up on 8 points, just ahead of Kalyn Ponga on 7.

James Tedesco maintains his lead on 15, with Tommy Turbo second on 10, but the dynamic Frenchman Morgan Escare is third and creeping up on 8 points, just ahead of Kalyn Ponga on 7.

With only a month away from the start of Super League, we will soon see if Wigan's Morgan Escare can return to his best form after long term injury, the way Billy Slater did.

Australians will probably get a chance to see Morgan Escare in the flesh when Wigan play Hull FC at Woollongong, and the following week when Wigan play contender Greg Inglis's South Sydney.

POPEYE

Coach
What if Hayne returns to '09 form . . . he's always considered himself a better Fullback than Billy, along with most Eels supporters

What if Hayne returns to '09 form . . . he's always considered himself a better Fullback than Billy, along with most Eels supporters

I think that the notion that Hayne can return to 2009 form is purely fanciful. Newspaper reports indicate that Hayne is having difficulties keeping up with Parramatta's preseason. Hayne seems to have lost the will to compete.

kit66

Bench
The only player with stats like Slater is Trbojevic and that's a great effort for a young guy ( 21 ) with room for improvement. If he can get those silly mistakes out of his game he'll leave the others in his dust like Slater has for many years.
I think people like Tedesco because he's such a dynamo on the field and so hard to stop but he's actually well behind Slater and Trbojevic in the stats that really count.
Slater 21 games, 11 tries, 20 try assists, 19 line breaks and a great kicking game.
Trbojevic 23 games, 12 tries, 21 try assists, 24 line breaks and his kicking game improving.
Tedesco 21 games, 5 tries, 8 try assists, 14 line breaks and an OK kicking game.

Tedesco leads the way in tackle breaks but Trbojevic actually topped the league for runs and metres gained for a FB in 2017, he's also faster than Teddy.
Trbojevic is only 21 and plays in a very ordinary team currently but still posts stats nearly equal to Slater.
I expect him to be first choice FB in our rep teams in the very near future.

Latest posts