What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

kit66

Bench
The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL ?

That seems a very convoluted and arbitrary appraisal to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised if the list wasn't thrown together at the wrong end of heavy session at the pub.
Chambers is at No 1 on that list but he's 6th in missed tackles for Centres, 3rd in penalties conceded and just out of the top 10, at 11 for errors. He also plays in a very well drilled defensive side.
Only 3 of the top 10 on the list played close to a full season in the position. Mann only played 7. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If Mann gets a centre spot it will be for his speed, evasiveness and pure skill I reckon rather than defence.
Having him on the right with Hunt and Nene seems like a good idea to me, more deadly in attack than Hunt / Aitken / Nene combo. Mann is a scarier option for the defence than Aitken as they're less likely to rush up on a guy who can step, kick and pass. Aitken can step and run hard for sure but largely predictable ( unless you play for Manly ).
Put Widdop, Lafai and Field / other fast young guy on the left and we'll do alright.

getsmarty

Immortal
The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL ?

If Mann gets a centre spot it will be for his speed, evasiveness and pure skill I reckon rather than defence.
Having him on the right with Hunt and Nene seems like a good idea to me, more deadly in attack than Hunt / Aitken / Nene combo. Mann is a scarier option for the defence than Aitken as they're less likely to rush up on a guy who can step, kick and pass. Aitken can step and run hard for sure but largely predictable ( unless you play for Manly ).
Put Widdop, Lafai and Field / other fast young guy on the left and we'll do alright.

Agree...Round 2 (if my memory serves me correctly ) Aitken was given a "Bath" by the Parra side..4 tries. Mann came on after halftime and they didn't score on that side...so Mann's defense is not that bad.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I wonder if the likes of Michael Beattie and Brian Johnston would sharpen our attack and defence ?

Oops ! This was meant for the thread - how are centres rate in defence .

Last edited:

Dragon66

Juniors
Not sure that that table means much.

How many minutes did Mann play as a "Centre". Not many I would have thought.

Not doubting Mann's talent just think that this list pretty pointless. Just a computer generated list of stats with no context.

Dragon66

Juniors
Apologies about no context. Just read the article. I didn't realise that Mann played seven matches as a centre.

But I do remember all the space out wide where Aitken and Mcdonald had to defend. Opposing coaches picked that up quick and made us pay.

Smarty, as I said I am not doubting his ability, but I believe we desperately need a a centre with acceleration, that can run in a straight line and fast once they have their nose through the defensive line.

Mann may be it, but if not I hope Herbert, Lomax or Garrick can rise to the challenge.

RufusRex

Post Whore
There is a difference between players that were poor because of the structure/other players around them and players who are poor.

Lafai and Nene are the former. Lafai still ranked in top 12 defensively yer suffered from the impact of Nighty outside him and Dugan inside. Not the fastest though 2017 he was faster than 2016. Never the less his attack and defence are easily 1st grade level. Nene looked slow and disinterested and absolutely suffered from having Aitken and McCrone inside him. Roosters game showed what he could do and was out best DH runner. Needs a game plan that uses him in attack and hunt will bring this.

Aitken and Nighty are the reverse .. through age/lack of skill they are poor players that negatively impact the team around them. They are the first two that need to be replaced with Mann taking one spot and a kid the other. They will not improve.

Those changes plus Hunt will be massive improvements and will lead to much higher levels of output from Lafai and Nene.

getsmarty

Immortal
Apologies about no context. Just read the article. I didn't realise that Mann played seven matches as a centre.

But I do remember all the space out wide where Aitken and Mcdonald had to defend. Opposing coaches picked that up quick and made us pay.

Smarty, as I said I am not doubting his ability, but I believe we desperately need a a centre with acceleration, that can run in a straight line and fast once they have their nose through the defensive line.

Mann may be it, but if not I hope Herbert, Lomax or Garrick can rise to the challenge.

Agree...Lomax will be the future but may not be ready yet...Mann is too good to be wasted on the bench and given a token 7 mins every 3 weeks. If you don't pick Mann at Centre, put him on the wing.

Bench
Mann has proved himself on the wing. Top try scorer in 2016. No brainer for me, starts on the wing and keep him there

Old Timer

Coach
I agree with the posts in general, Mann should be in the starting lineup. I don’t understand how he could miss out on a wing and centre position.
If you did understand then you would be as smart as our coach
Heaven forbid that such an afliction would ever befall anyone other than him.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I agree with the posts in general, Mann should be in the starting lineup. I don’t understand how he could miss out on a wing and centre position.
Agree, but the players he needs to replace are either Nightingale or Aitken, both Dragons juniors and Mann is an outsider...