What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
100% agree. It's absolute rubbish. You are exactly right, if he wasn't good enough last year to get a start ahead of nighty (in mays eyes) then why is he good enough this year? I guarantee our conservative coach will slot nighty straight back to FB if Dufty goes down. Nightingale to FB is such a negative move.

With our squad, the only limitation is the imagination and creative of our plays.

1. We now have the muscle upfront .
2. We have a quality set of halves - been a while.
3. We have a set of backs that will surprise this year, we can can motivate some of them.

We now need a series of games plans they can play dependent on the conditions, opposition or relative effectiveness.

We now need to select the right team.

1. Duffy
2. Lomax
3. Mann
4. Lafia 17. Aitken/Sele
5. MacDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Vaughan 14. Ah Mau
9. Mcinness
10. Graham 15. Sims
11. Fizzell 16. Leilua
12. Host
13. De Belin

This looks to me like a top four team.

possm

Coach
Unfortunately my lasting memory of Dufty at fullback is him offloading the kick return to wingers so he wouldn't get tackled. Really hope Mann gets enough chances to win the fullback role.

I wouldn't be too worried about Dufty's pass to wingers on his kick returns last year. He was very light-weighted and inexperienced at first grade level, I'm sure this action was in reposinse to Mary's instructions and frankly, we did not lose a game from this move. If Dufty is given first chop at fullback in 2018, I'm sure you'll see him bigger, stronger and keen to use his deceptive step on kick returns.

BennyV

Referee
I would love the dragons/Mary to grow some balls and put their full support in Dufty as our fullback. If Dufty doesn't play fullback then he doesn't play NRL with Dragons. Instead of all these articles saying we have option a b c available to replace Dugan I love to hear them say Matt Dufty is our fullback and we believe he is an absolute star of the future.
100%, he should come out and just tell everyone else to not bother and stop putting their hands up, that there is no competition for spots because there is no way he is going to contemplate moving an unpolished youngster with 6 games under his belt from the fullback position, they may as well start looking for other clubs...

Crush

Coach
100%, he should come out and just tell everyone else to not bother and stop putting their hands up, that there is no competition for spots because there is no way he is going to contemplate moving an unpolished youngster with 6 games under his belt from the fullback position, they may as well start looking for other clubs...
Calm down

There are a few players who should be guaranteed spots in our team. Dufty isnt one of them.

Lol BennyV

Suggest you ask Kurt Mann whether Dufty is guaranteed a spot at Full Back by McClueless.

Pretty sure if Dufty has 2 poor games in a row at the start of the season, he will find himself binned just like Mann was last season.

I would like to see Dufty play 8 to 10 games in a row this season before he is judged by the coaching staff and the forum.

Feel sorry for Mann. He deserves a spot in the back line from game 1. Whether its at wing or centre, I don't really care. Sitting on the bench waiting o play 5-10 minutes if at all is not going to help his confidence.

TruSaint

Referee
Too many threads on this subject or related.

So sorry i repeat myself. Mann must be in the 13 .. period.

Apart from Lafai, he is the only real strike weapon we have.. We bought him as a FB, gave him 2 games, dropped him.

Then we brought him back to play everywhere from wing to the halves. He proved himself to be a game breaker. Pace, speed, great defensive reads, try scorer, and so on.

Is Dufty a great potential FB ? Yes. Is he at Manns level ? With limited games i would say no. So the question our coach needs to make is simple. Go with a proven 1st grader, give him more than 2 weeks to prove himself, or put Dufty in from game 1 as an assured FB, and sit a game winner on the bench to play 7 minutes a game.

I expect the barrage of " we need to play our juniors " ,and there is merit to that. However, Dufty and co. will get their chance. Be it injury, rep duties, suspensions, backline shuffling if players like Nene dont perform, etc etc etc.

If Mann wasnt playing well in 2017, then we would not be discussing this. Dufty would be a cert. Mann was one of the few shining lights we had, and I wouildnt be surprised if he is benched in 2018, that he decides to leave. I know I would if i were him.

After all that, u can bet ur house Dufty will be FB... Just feel it.

Crush

Coach
Just on Mann, he mustn't have had any offers from other clubs. He got screwed around for 2 years and still re-signed knowing that he probably still won't get a starting position.
He must regret coming to the Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
Just on Mann, he mustn't have had any offers from other clubs. He got screwed around for 2 years and still re-signed knowing that he probably still won't get a starting position.
He must regret coming to the Dragons.

Not sure matey. He signed to stay after showing what he can do. Whether that resonates to the selection is another matter. Both club and player had to agree to the deal.

My point was and is that he has in 2017 earnt a spot in the 13 squad.

As to the balance of the backline .. Lafai seems a cert, as does Flo ( final year ), Aitken / Nene I am not sold on.

Maybe a few of the juniors can fill a spot or two.

Frank Facer

First Grade
NRL 2018: Handy Mann happy to reprise utility role for Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_2739_1826_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CONTENDERS: Both Matt Dufty (left) and Kurt Mann (right) are in the running to replace Josh Dugan at fullback for the Dragons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra utility Kurt Mann is eyeing an elusive starting spot in 2018, but he’s happy to continue as the Dragons’ Mr Fixit if it means he sees regular NRL action.

The former Melbourne centre played every position in the Dragons back-line at various stages of the 2017 season, featuring in 21 of his side’s 24 games.

His best form undoubtedly came as a foil for skipper Gareth Widdop in the halves, with his finish to the season enough to earn a two-year contract extension.

Having played most of his junior football in the No. 6, Mann said he was keen to take the opportunity.

“I managed to string a few games together there last year in the halves and it’s a position I like playing,” Mann said.

“I got an opportunity to play there at the start of the year with Gaz being out with a medial [ligament injury] and they were probably some of my better games.

“Mary [coach Paul McGregor] showed a lot of faith in me in giving me that start in the halves. I had to fill big shoes with Gaz early on.

“That was the first game I’d played in the halves at NRL level so I felt obliged to repay him. I knew when I got that chance again I wanted to try and nail it.

“I was really enjoying my footy and as a result of that I was playing good as well.”

It was a strong finish to an at times frustrating season as he shifted around the park but Mann said he’s happy to reprise the role in 2018 if required.

“[Utility value] is a good thing but it can be a bit of an achilles heel,” he said.

“It is a bit frustrating at times but it’s something I’ve got to do for the team because I can do it. There’s not many other people in our team that can so that’s my role and I’m happy to do it.

“It gets me picked every week because I can play anywhere but I like playing in the halves, I like playing fullback.

“You always want to opportunity to play consistently in those positions so when I get my opportunity again hopefully I can grab it.”

New arrival Ben Hunt is a lock to partner Widdop in the halves this season, making a halves start unlikely, but Mann will come in to consideration for the No.1 jumper left vacant by the departed Josh Dugan.

Young-gun Matt Dufty has the inside running having finished 2017 at fullback but Mann said he’ll certainly put his hand up should the chance arise.

It would be a chance to go full circle having played the first two games of the 2016 season, his first with the club, at the back.

“That’s something I’ve spoken to Mary about, I’ve told him I wouldn’t mind having a go there and see what comes of it,” Mann said.

“He’s pretty keen to have a look at me there so I’m sure through the trial period I’ll get a chance there at some stage and we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5190228/handy-mann-happy-to-reprise-utility-role/?cs=302
I keep telling everyone that Mann's best position is 5/8. That is the position that he played most of his juniors. I doubt that he is ever going to play there for us, unless of an injury to Widdop this year.

Crush

Coach
Not sure matey. He signed to stay after showing what he can do. Whether that resonates to the selection is another matter. Both club and player had to agree to the deal.

My point was and is that he has in 2017 earnt a spot in the 13 squad.

As to the balance of the backline .. Lafai seems a cert, as does Flo ( final year ), Aitken / Nene I am not sold on.

Maybe a few of the juniors can fill a spot or two.
Hey TruSaint, you seem to be a Lafai fan. I'm not sold on him. He seems very inconsistent. He was ordinary in 2016, great at the start of 2017 then had some poor games at the back end of 2017 where he seemed to push that flick pass way too often.
If he was playing injured in 2016 then Mary is a goose for even selecting him but last year there was no excuse for him. He had a few shockers.
I'd still start him in round 1 but I hope he develops more than just the flick pass in his game. Hope he kills it, we need him too.

Crush

Coach
There are a few players who should be guaranteed spots in our team. Dufty isnt one of them.
Yeah I see your point.
I just don't think its healthy for all these articles to come with players saying they want the fb role.
Nightingale came out and said he could play fullback if need be. Kurt Mann says hed love the gig.
I just think it is a better look for the club to say "Matt is our number 1, we see him as one of the top fullbacks of the future" That way it shows that they are committed and have a vision.
Obviously if he doesn't work out then so be it and look at options but I don't like the approach of lets just see how all the kids go in trials etc. It makes us look like muppets, its a very important position in our spine.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah I see your point.
I just don't think its healthy for all these articles to come with players saying they want the fb role.
Nightingale came out and said he could play fullback if need be. Kurt Mann says hed love the gig.
I just think it is a better look for the club to say "Matt is our number 1, we see him as one of the top fullbacks of the future" That way it shows that they are committed and have a vision.
Obviously if he doesn't work out then so be it and look at options but I don't like the approach of lets just see how all the kids go in trials etc. It makes us look like muppets, its a very important position in our spine.
Completely disagree. Publicly endorsing a kid with such little time in first grade and with some gaps in his game, especially as our long term option, is silliness. It promotes complacency as well as putting unnecessary pressure on the kid, while basically inviting other potential options to not bother trying. Even if he is the top option come round 1, there’s nothing to gain at all from saying hat he will be our long term option.

Latest posts