What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to launch crackdown on play the balls

T-Boon

Coach
You’re the muppet championing for more scores to make it a more ‘interesting spectacle’ that’ll make the fans flock back to the game.

But then you want the 10m rule abolished which will turn it into a Union-esque borefest where the defence smothers the attack constantly.

What I would do is go to 15 metres but allow 4 players to defend anywhere behind the advantage line (i.e. the markers don't have to be square). This would provide more space for the outside backs but make it harder to go straight up the middle and necessary to throw passes to get around the front defenders.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What I would do is go to 15 metres but allow 4 players to defend anywhere behind the advantage line (i.e. the markers don't have to be square). This would provide more space for the outside backs but make it harder to go straight up the middle and necessary to throw passes to get around the front defenders.
Perhaps add helmets and shoulder pads & allow the players to pass the ball forwards too..

T-Boon

Coach
Perhaps add helmets and shoulder pads & allow the players to pass the ball forwards too..

what 2 square markers is what differentiates league from gridiron?
Two square markers is lame. Why dont we play leap frog.

This Year?

Immortal
It will only be enforced when a Saints player does it in the play that will ultimately cos them the game and a spot in the finals.

GongPanther

Referee
How about a season-long enforcement of the rules by the refs?
Can't put the blame squarely on the players when they are 60-70 minutes into a hard fought game,especially in the first month of the season,in which they are bound to make mistakes or try to get away with a quick play the ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is refs have KPI's around how many penalties they can blow. How many times have you heard a ref coach a player "Aaron play the ball with your foot" "Cameron up quicker" "Robbie stand square" etc etc rather than blow a penalty for the infraction. We don't want it like Union but geez surely the players and coaches would get the message if we had a few weeks of consistent application of the rules?

T-Boon

Coach
How many times have you heard a ref coach a player "Aaron play the ball with your foot" "Cameron up quicker" "Robbie stand square"

I've heard refs say: "Cameron, how are things - can you make rent? do you need to borrow a fiver?"

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Problem is refs have KPI's around how many penalties they can blow. How many times have you heard a ref coach a player "Aaron play the ball with your foot" "Cameron up quicker" "Robbie stand square" etc etc rather than blow a penalty for the infraction. We don't want it like Union but geez surely the players and coaches would get the message if we had a few weeks of consistent application of the rules?
I thought it was Cameron saying those things

T-Boon

Coach
14 Penalties in the Knights/Melbourne trial apparently, just for playing the ball wrong.

14 penalties against the team with the ball would have to be a first?
That is awesome.
How dumb were the penalties from about 6 on. What do the players have gold fish memories?

Last edited:

Latest posts