What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
Yeh that has the same problems. And walking from the cbd can take up to an hour depending on where you are, so not likely with a 6pm start

The light rail will be a god send for cbd fans getting to footy games on Thur/fri night

Does the shuttle bus still happen from Central Station ? Maybe that might help. Have it well advertised and known.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Better still, a Brisbane2 would give another decent local derby for the Gold Coast. That's two guaranteed 20000plus attendances with a purposefull draw in season.

Yep great idea

Titans v Broncos at Robina should sell-out every time no matter of the ladder positions of the two teams. But it doesn't - same goes for Warriors v Titans. I'm happy to give the Titans one last go to see if they can get some stability and success but if it falls over again we should never return there again.

Stallion

First Grade
Yep great idea

Titans v Broncos at Robina should sell-out every time no matter of the ladder positions of the two teams. But it doesn't - same goes for Warriors v Titans. I'm happy to give the Titans one last go to see if they can get some stability and success but if it falls over again we should never return there again.

So you were bagging/dismissing the idea of two local derbies with a Brisbane2 team in the comp!? Most of the local derbies have had well in excess of 20000 at the Gold coast. From memory poor weather impacted the last titans/ Broncos match?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think you’ve hit the nail there, if the nrl had their time over again they would throw in another Brisbane team

I detest the sport but I've always considered AFL administrators to be fairly intelligent and growth minded but the Suns and GWS are just stupid. I get what they want to do, at least two clubs in all major states but both of these are unwanted money pits.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So you were bagging/dismissing the idea of two local derbies with a Brisbane2 team in the comp!? Most of the local derbies have had well in excess of 20000 at the Gold coast. From memory poor weather impacted the last titans/ Broncos match?

I support the Gold Coast for now and I agree with you that Brisbane 2 will help with an extra derby for the Gold Coast. All I am saying is that if they fail again - time is up on the Gold Coast for RL.

BTW, there is no guarantee that a new Bribane club will draw well on the GC. The Cowboys draw well in Brisbane but not really at the GC and even the Broncs-Titans games there don't automatically sell-out:

2017: 6k below capacity
2016: 6k below capacity
2015: 12k below capacity
2014: 7k below capacity
2013 6k below capacity

In fact, you have to go back to 2010 and prior to see when the Titans were last selling out Robina for a Broncos game. Selling out the SEQ derby match should be a no brainer for GC marketers.

Although I want a team on the GC, it's hard to argue with what you are saying. The only real reason that they are there at the moment is to not give the AFL a 'free-kick'

I’m not too concerned about the AFL factor, the NRL needs to do what’s in its best interest. Hell the AFL could be relieved, might give them an excuse to walk away too. They’re spending huge amounts of money on it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
If the marketing people offer some decent lower price incentives then , weather permitting, a good crowd may lob up for this game. After all plenty of workers in the city might wander on to this game. This may be alot more than 14000 if marketed well.

It is actually a good time slot for workers finishing up in the CBD , I find with some of the Friday night games at the SFS and also the Swans game at the SCG that start at around 7.50pm- 8pm that the after work crowd have been out drinking before hand and often turn up p#ssed to the game, the 6pm time slot would mean that many would probably head straight to the ground after finishing work.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I support the Gold Coast for now and I agree with you that Brisbane 2 will help with an extra derby for the Gold Coast. All I am saying is that if they fail again - time is up on the Gold Coast for RL.

BTW, there is no guarantee that a new Bribane club will draw well on the GC. The Cowboys draw well in Brisbane but not really at the GC and even the Broncs-Titans games there don't automatically sell-out:

2017: 6k below capacity
2016: 6k below capacity
2015: 12k below capacity
2014: 7k below capacity
2013 6k below capacity

In fact, you have to go back to 2010 and prior to see when the Titans were last selling out Robina for a Broncos game. Selling out the SEQ derby match should be a no brainer for GC marketers.
Not too mention the other way around, the numbers for broncos vs titans aren’t great compared to most other teams at Suncorp. This would suggest that 1 little travelling support for the titans 2 little interest from broncos fans towards the titans.

Stallion

First Grade
It is actually a good time slot for workers finishing up in the CBD , I find with some of the Friday night games at the SFS and also the Swans game at the SCG that start at around 7.50pm- 8pm that the after work crowd have been out drinking before hand and often turn up p#ssed to the game, the 6pm time slot would mean that many would probably head straight to the ground after finishing work.

Well done. About time someone come up with a logical marketing angle and thats one of them. From memory a club like Manly (whos supporters will not go across the harbour for a game) played the Roosters in the same time slot last season. This game drew well over 12000. So , weather permitting , the Roosters v Bulldogs may surprise? The worker crowd may find a full on local footy rivalry attractive at 6pm to kick off the weekend! ?

Last edited:

no name

Coach
From the Titans Facebook page on Thursday:

IMPORTANT TRANSPORT INFORMATION

Trains will not be running this weekend between Beenleigh and Varsity Lakes.

Click on the following link for all transport news and information ahead of Sunday's match at Cbus Super Stadium: http://bit.ly/2oUpHFm

When the joint has no parking and relies on people catching public transport, having the main form of public transport unavailable isn’t ideal.

Stallion

First Grade
From the Titans Facebook page on Thursday:

When the joint has no parking and relies on people catching public transport, having the main form of public transport unavailable isn’t ideal.

When transport to the game is limited then I think the knives out for the Gold Coast are unwarranted. Bad weather also a big factor. And not the best timeslot. Would it have been 5.30pm Qld time?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Could be a solution. I think the Suns will eventually fall on their arse too, either that or the AFL pour millions and millions into them year after year. GC is just not a sporting town. AFL (Brisbane (lol) Bears), RL (Seagulls, Giants, Chargers), NBL (Blaze, Cougars, Rollers) and Soccer (GC United) have all had clubs fold there.

What is the upside for the AFL? The Suns win a premiership? Or create a dynasty of success? The max crowds they can get at their stadium is 25k (hardly ground breaking compared to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth clubs) and the slight increase in TV ratings that tune in because of the success won't really make a dent in their average so even the absolute upside is still not that appealing. Maybe both the NRL and AFL are just being stubborn by persisting. I know if given the choice I would prefer Brisbane 2 in the NRL over Gold Coast.
To save face the NRL and AFL could agree to exit GC at the same time. Titans licence to Brisbane, SUNS to Tasmania.

Stallion

First Grade
To save face the NRL and AFL could agree to exit GC at the same time. Titans licence to Brisbane, SUNS to Tasmania.

Just a point that may have been.missed. The Gold Coast region has the third largest junior league out of the NRL clubs. Think that matters.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Yep great idea

why does that game have to sellout everytime and not Sharks vs Dragons or Roosters vs Rabbitohs?

Teddyboy

First Grade
Just a point that may have been.missed. The Gold Coast region has the third largest junior league out of the NRL clubs. Think that matters.
So doe Titans offer free or cheaper tickets to all the kids who play in the junior league ?

Gold Coast is league heartland. Several of the local schools are perennial League powerhouses.

I knew about Keebra Park etc, but the issue of size of the junior catchment still surprised me.

Still it’s going to need more than just a big junior catchment to keep the club alive.

Latest posts