What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Tamou

Pomoz

Bench
I think the Storm were the first club to realise how to balance where you spend your money on the cap. I think the slalary cap scandal forced them to evaluate closely what players to keep and that is when they probably went hard core on keeping the spine at all costs. They then regularly develop a player, they get too good and get offered over the odds and the Storm let them go. They always make sure they have a quality spine and a few star forwards and a star centre or two. They never let sentimentality get in the way of their cap management. Hoffman, gone. Blair, gone. O'Neil, gone. Dallas Johnson, gone. Chambers, Manu, Proctor, gone.

When I went through the list I was blown away at how many quality players they have developed and let go. They are a quality outfit, no doubt.They have even let quality spine players like Hampton and Widdop go. I would be amazed if Gus isn't thinking similar thoughts which is why Grant, McKendry and Jennings had to be released or take a pay cut. You can't build a team with that much salary tied up in forwards and a centre.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mx, if he is on $450k, it would make sense. The salary cap when he signed was not $9.3m and hadn't been agreed. It was $7m. throw in a car and a few other benefits not included in the cap like a car allowance, medical insurance and training courses and he would probably get to a package of $500k with $450k in the cap. Considering the NRL average would be $370k for the 30 players it provides for, that seems about right for a quality prop. If Tamou started getting picked for NSW and Australia again, his fee would go up for sure. An elite prop is likely to be on maybe $600k. Scott, Klemmer and Fifita might get something like that.

If your star player's on $1m and your spine players are on say $700k, that's a total of $3.1m on 4 players. It leaves $6.2m too service the other 26 players in your squad at an average of $238k.

The salary cap leaves so many questions to be answered.

How many of your 30 man squad do you put on a minimum wage of $100k?

How many star forwards can you afford and need to win a premiership? $600k each, $500K each?

What about centres? If a spine player is $700k is a centre $500k? Or is it more?

For example, if you spend:

Spine (1m plus 3 x $700k), $3.1m
4 quality forwards at $600k, $2.4m
2 quality centres at $500k, 1m

Total $6.5m.

You have paid 10 players. You are left with $2.8m to service 20 players.

The minimum wage is 4 players at $70k and the rest are $100k.

4 players at $70k, $280k
16 players at $100k, $1.6m

Total $1.88m

You now have 920k to spread amongst the 20 players at an average of $46k.You need some depth so some player will have to be in the $250 - $300k bracket. A winger on $500k plus? How do we do that?

It's not easy is it and I wish journalists would learn how to operate excel before throwing around ridiculous figures. Is Tamou on $750k? I just can't see how he can be unless Gus is stupid. Gus is many things, arrogant, rude and opinionated just for a start. Stupid? Nah.
Those figures fall apart extremely quickly when:

Dylan Edwards and Peter Wallace wouldn't be on $700k between them. Nor is Nathan Cleary on anywhere near that yet. Your $1m for a star spine player would fit them all in right now or go very close to it. Obviously not on Clearys next contract. But for now it would.

Add in Maloney and our spines only $1.8m. Even rounding up to $2m thats $1.1m under your figures for a spine.

Set aside the positions players are in.

Our highest paid player is Maloney. Supposedly on ~$850k

Tamou is our next highest supposedly on $750k

Merrin is next on $650ish.

That's our 3 highest paid players earning $2.25m. Our next players would have been Moylan and Carty. But they're gone and 100% Off the books.

Between our 3 highest paid players and 10 minimum wage players. That's roughly 3.25m.

Leaving 17 players left and $6.15m to use. The average for that would be $361k.

The likes of Blake, Edwards, Kikau etc. Shouldnt be on near that. And Gus has already confirmed he wouldnt dare pay that much for a winger.

Obviously once Cleary goes up ~$1m a season need to lose more depth. Which is why Peachey is already released and Mansours unlikely to stay.

But the $750k Tamou is supposedly on would definitely be better used elsewhere as you said.

Dunno how anyone thinks Wallace could be on big money. He was unwanted when we got him. We were tallking him into retirement before he last re-signed.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Those figures fall apart extremely quickly when:

Dylan Edwards and Peter Wallace wouldn't be on $700k between them. Nor is Nathan Cleary on anywhere near that yet. Your $1m for a star spine player would fit them all in right now or go very close to it. Obviously not on Clearys next contract. But for now it would.

Add in Maloney and our spines only $1.8m. Even rounding up to $2m thats $1.1m under your figures for a spine.

Set aside the positions players are in.

Our highest paid player is Maloney. Supposedly on ~$850k

Tamou is our next highest supposedly on $750k

Merrin is next on $650ish.

That's our 3 highest paid players earning $2.25m. Our next players would have been Moylan and Carty. But they're gone and 100% Off the books.

Between our 3 highest paid players and 10 minimum wage players. That's roughly 3.25m.

Leaving 17 players left and $6.15m to use. The average for that would be $361k.

The likes of Blake, Edwards, Kikau etc. Shouldnt be on near that. And Gus has already confirmed he wouldnt dare pay that much for a winger.

Obviously once Cleary goes up ~$1m a season need to lose more depth. Which is why Peachey is already released and Mansours unlikely to stay.

But the $750k Tamou is supposedly on would definitely be better used elsewhere as you said.

Dunno how anyone thinks Wallace could be on big money. He was unwanted when we got him. We were tallking him into retirement before he last re-signed.

I’ve heard from several people (who are in positions to know) that Tamou is on less than 500k (around 450). The 750k figure reported was grossly exaggerated by the media.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’ve heard from several people (who are in positions to know) that Tamou is on less than 500k (around 450). The 750k figure reported was grossly exaggerated by the media.

I have no idea about player salarys. I honestly don't think the media have a great idea either. So it's all a bit 'new idea' along with 'tatler'. I'd like to see players salary packages registered and open not this secret squirrel stuff. It would stop a lot of cap cheating too.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Are we to believe your rumour over the media's rumour?

Believe what you like, but I’m happy to take the word of several people from the club, over the media.
I know that the Penrith media team prepared a statement in response to the contract details that were supposedly leaked when he signed.
They were told not to respond as we don’t disclose contract details and the club didn’t really care what the media were saying.

franklin2323

Immortal
Believe what you like, but I’m happy to take the word of several people from the club, over the media.
I know that the Penrith media team prepared a statement in response to the contract details that were supposedly leaked when he signed.
They were told not to respond as we don’t disclose contract details and the club didn’t really care what the media were saying.

I am glad they didn't. Gives the haters something to whinge about while we are winning games

mxlegend99

Referee
Are we to believe your rumour over the media's rumour?
Ofcourse. He has better contacts than the media.

Nevermind the fact he was 100% certain Moylan was staying while the media knew what was happening.

My trust of sources goes:

1. The person immediately involved (player usually)
2. Management involved with them (Gus/Hook/Fletcher)
3. Player managers
4. Media
Daylight
5. Fans

Now a bit of inside info on an injury or somethings pretty easy to come across. But information magically appears with no source at all when trying to prove others wrong and the detail of this magically appearing information is incredible.

And it's several people happy to spill the beans. Wow. No one at the club cares about privacy.

OldPanther

Coach

Well you're the one using it as a way to convince people. Have you listened to Paul "I have a source" Kent. He's made me very skeptical of the phrase.

I am glad they didn't. Gives the haters something to whinge about while we are winning games

I too am happy they didn't but not because of people I disagree with.

I have no idea about player salarys. I honestly don't think the media have a great idea either. So it's all a bit 'new idea' along with 'tatler'. I'd like to see players salary packages registered and open not this secret squirrel stuff. It would stop a lot of cap cheating too.

For the people that can see it I think this is a good comment on the player salary topic.

franklin2323

Immortal
The media has never been wrong though?

It could be as simple as Gus calling x manager/Club saying he has $750k to spend on an experienced player. If we miss out on a spine player or something then Tamou may of been plan F for all we know. Because we had that to spend there is nothing saying we actually did spend it all on a prop.

mxlegend99

Referee
The media has never been wrong though?

It could be as simple as Gus calling x manager/Club saying he has $750k to spend on an experienced player. If we miss out on a spine player or something then Tamou may of been plan F for all we know. Because we had that to spend there is nothing saying we actually did spend it all on a prop.
Ofcourse the media can be wrong. The media also dont just create these figures out of thin air though. More often than not they should be in the ballpark atleast.

But looking at the players coming in the past 3 seasons against the players going out. The only way it adds up is if Tamou and Maloney have gotten huge money.

Tamou said it was the most important contract of his career. At his age he is entering what should be his peak performance years and therefore earning years as a front rower.

Although if his body doesn't get banged up badly he coild easily add a couple years after this contract.

OldPanther

Coach
Ofcourse the media can be wrong. The media also dont just create these figures out of thin air though. More often than not they should be in the ballpark atleast.

But looking at the players coming in the past 3 seasons against the players going out. The only way it adds up is if Tamou and Maloney have gotten huge money.

Tamou said it was the most important contract of his career. At his age he is entering what should be his peak performance years and therefore earning years as a front rower.

Although if his body doesn't get banged up badly he coild easily add a couple years after this contract.

I though he was older. The way he runs he looks like he's about to retire.

franklin2323

Immortal
The only player that hasn't re-signed for us since Hook has been here is RCG. Except for Wallace every player would of had some type of salary rise. That means someone needs to go to fit them in

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Ofcourse. He has better contacts than the media.

Nevermind the fact he was 100% certain Moylan was staying while the media knew what was happening.

My trust of sources goes:

1. The person immediately involved (player usually)
2. Management involved with them (Gus/Hook/Fletcher)
3. Player managers
4. Media
Daylight
5. Fans

Now a bit of inside info on an injury or somethings pretty easy to come across. But information magically appears with no source at all when trying to prove others wrong and the detail of this magically appearing information is incredible.

And it's several people happy to spill the beans. Wow. No one at the club cares about privacy.

Nevermind that Moylan either lied to all of his mates or he didn’t know he was going.

It’s not a matter of spilling beans, but people talk.

You yourself trust the media 4th in your silly “Source Trust List” (really, where do you come up with this) yet, your happy to throw the 750k figure around every chance you get.

I personally don’t care how much he’s being paid. I care about how he’s performing. At the moment he’s doing his bit in attack and leading our defence like a beast. You say he’s not elite, I disagree, I really don’t care about the money.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah, but now released, so that frees up money right...?

At a rough guess. Blake, RCG and Cleary would be on $250k-$300k. I think it will cost Atleast $500k for Blake and RCG. Say $1m for Cleary.

That alone is $900k we need to find in time for 2020. You assume Wallace will go. Peachey confirmed to go.

Say both get replaced with minimum wage players. Unless they are on $1.1m between them then we need to find other money.

That is the issue the last few years. Aside from Hardaker no one we have debuted has been hopeless so become must keeps and others go

Latest posts