What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Tamou

mxlegend99

Referee
We dont have to pay out players who request a release. They forfeit their contracts.

Although just about all of them got payrises to leave anyway. Or atleast had their contracts matched.

Bryce and Matt lost their TPAs. But their base salary covers that anyway.

mxlegend99

Referee
At a rough guess. Blake, RCG and Cleary would be on $250k-$300k. I think it will cost Atleast $500k for Blake and RCG. Say $1m for Cleary.

That alone is $900k we need to find in time for 2020. You assume Wallace will go. Peachey confirmed to go.

Say both get replaced with minimum wage players. Unless they are on $1.1m between them then we need to find other money.

That is the issue the last few years. Aside from Hardaker no one we have debuted has been hopeless so become must keeps and others go
We have plenty of average players in oyr top 30 though.

Outside of Kalyn Ponga, its not normal to play 1 or 2 games and sign a big contract. Most will be happy becoming fulltime top squad players. Throw a few performance incentives in for them to earn better money should they be more than reserve grade players.

Hopefully we can get Sam retired and get an exemption for his sakary from the cap like Eels did with Watmough.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Well you're the one using it as a way to convince people. Have you listened to Paul "I have a source" Kent.

Yeah, I’m not trying to convince anyone, particularly you pair.

Just putting my point of view out there. As always, take it or leave it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nathan Cleary confirmed CHN spoke to WT. I am sure others had interest too. Putting their price up
All 16 clubs could be interested in him as a cheap backup or benchie. Doesnt mean his price has gone up much though. Obviously he gets a pay bump. But hes definitely not worth triple what he was. Cleary and RCG though.... well definitely.

Teams are often interested in a player purely because they're a cheap option. Bargain buys are what help boost the quality of your top squad. Even better if that bargain player becomes part of it.

5 years sgo we were the kings of bargain buys. Although for every Whare or Srgeyaro we had a Wes Naiqama or Clint Newton.

Edit
I would have CHN between $150k to $250k tops. At the time we supposedly had very little money available to keep him.and he always wanted to stay.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
All 16 clubs could be interested in him as a cheap backup or benchie. Doesnt mean his price has gone up much though. Obviously he gets a pay bump. But hes definitely not worth triple what he was. Cleary and RCG though.... well definitely.

Teams are often interested in a player purely because they're a cheap option. Bargain buys are what help boost the quality of your top squad. Even better if that bargain player becomes part of it.

5 years sgo we were the kings of bargain buys. Although for every Whare or Srgeyaro we had a Wes Naiqama or Clint Newton.

Edit
I would have CHN between $150k to $250k tops. At the time we supposedly had very little money available to keep him.and he always wanted to stay.

To raise the quality of a squad, most teams consider the quality of the player that they wish to sign, not just looking for bargain buys. Bargain buys rarely boost the top squad. I.e. Newton, Naiqama (x2) etc. It's possible that a bargain buy can become a top player, but it's the exception. Batgain buys are more of a gamble really

Tom.

mxlegend99

Referee
Bargain buys dont have to be minimum wage though.

Like Dean Whare. We got him because he couldnt lockdown an NRL spot at Sea Eagles.

We got Segeyaro because Cowboys viewed him only as a benchie.

Neither were minimum wage signings. But both performed much better than the average player on those salaries would.

Only stupid part of Whare was giving him first crack at fullback. But if that promise helped us sign him ahead of another club. Its a small price to pay. That year was always a write off anyway.

mxlegend99

Referee
It actually could have been Ivan doing that. Look at Tigers signings.

Corey Thompson. Pita Godinet. Benji Marshall.

Supposedly he wanted players with the right attitude before anything else. Although he did pay overs to get Josh Reynolds. I doubt Packer or Matulino were cheap either.

Big Mick

Referee
It actually could have been Ivan doing that. Look at Tigers signings.

Corey Thompson. Pita Godinet. Benji Marshall.

Supposedly he wanted players with the right attitude before anything else. Although he did pay overs to get Josh Reynolds. I doubt Packer or Matulino were cheap either.

And McQueen. Paying 450-500k a year for a guy to play reggies.

mxlegend99

Referee
And McQueen. Paying 450-500k a year for a guy to play reggies.
Media have it at $400k. Although that's definitely overs.

He wasnt wanted by anyone. Even when he was in his prime he wasnt worth that.

Edit
Reminds me of Sika Manu as far as value for money goes to be honest.

OldPanther

Coach
I’m hardly being uncivil.

"Yeah, I’m not trying to convince anyone, particularly you pair."

Seems to be a dig at me and MX. Though the thing people here don't know is I was diagnosed as "severe" end of the spectrum with social anxiety disorder so things get hard to tell some days.

Latest posts