What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It was a 3 way swap between Hayne , Hoffman and French. Has that ever happened before? At least we will never see it again.
No it was a swap between Hayne and French. If French got outside Hoffman that was no different to any two outside backs switching in attack. In defence they all kept their positions.
I'm a Hayne fan but it doesn't matter what Hayne wants it is what is best for the team. Jennings at right centre is best for the team
Not if Hayne is an even bigger liability at left centre.

lingard

Coach
I don't reckon it's Mannah tbh. He does the same whether we're up by 20 or down by 20. Yeah he's not a rev up type but he always keeps trundling

I just think there are some personalities in the side who need a rev up merchant out there and apart from Scott and Kenny we don't really have one.

We miss Kenny heaps

A Josh Reynolds would be good for us. Who knows, even a Blake Austin might do.

Noise

Coach
No it was a swap between Hayne and French. If French got outside Hoffman that was no different to any two outside backs switching in attack. In defence they all kept their positions.

Not if Hayne is an even bigger liability at left centre.

French did get outside Hoffman every time the swap was made. I was at the game and they were right in front of me when they were doing it. So it was a 3 player swap. I will spell it out for you if you want to count the players and positions:

Originally: FB - French, Wing - Hoffman, Centre - Hayne
Changed to: FB - Hayne, Wing - French, Hoffman - Centre

That's a 3 player swap. I can't believe you are even arguing this??

Incorrect

Coach
@TheRam mate love your passion and hoping like hell we get our season on track this weekend.

To claim the 110 year record regarding 49 points being scored against the eventual premiers, you should in all honesty adjust the scoring in games played before tries were worth 4 points.

Based on this adjustment, the record is a mere 64 years old and has happened more than once since 1908.

In '53 the eventual Premiers, Souths lost 2 games with an adjusted score of more than 49 points against them. In Round 1 they lost to the Magpies who scored 8 tries and kicked 10 goals for an adjusted score of 52 points (originally it was 44-28. In Round 7 they also lost to the Bears who scored 9 tries and kicked 8 goals for an adjusted score of 52 points also (original was 43-13).

Going back to 1947 when the Tigers l won the comp, they got done by Souths to the tune of 46-10 which if adjusted would be 56 points as Souths scored 10 tries and kicked 8 goals.

Hopefully we are still in with a chance this year afterall :D:D
Also worth noting in season 2005 we conceded 54 points to Brisbane at Lang Park early in the season and went on to finish minor premiers... We know what happened in week 3 of the finals of course but our brain fart of a performance v the Broncos early in the season that year had no bearing on what happened in the preliminary final 20-odd weeks later....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
French did get outside Hoffman every time the swap was made. I was at the game and they were right in front of me when they were doing it. So it was a 3 player swap. I will spell it out for you if you want to count the players and positions:

Originally: FB - French, Wing - Hoffman, Centre - Hayne
Changed to: FB - Hayne, Wing - French, Hoffman - Centre

That's a 3 player swap. I can't believe you are even arguing this??
The point is a wing/centre swap is unremarkable. It doesn't suddenly become some team-breaking dark sorcery just because French swaps with Hoffman.

lingard

Coach
[QUOTE="Poupou

Jennings played on the left because Hayne preferred the right. Now that Auva'a is the other centre, Jennings has switched to allow him to play his preferred position. One upside is that we now have our best defensive back next to our worst, but if that was the priority we would have done it in round one.[/QUOTE]

Well, the thinking is that maybe it should have been the priority. Coaches actually do sometimes make mistakes, you know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well, the thinking is that maybe it should have been the priority. Coaches actually do sometimes make mistakes, you know.
I think making the left side a weakness just to strengthen the right side wouldn't have been any more helpful. Though if Hayne had played left centre he could've swapped with Auva'a in defence.

I would be surprised if that happened. His attack is one of the strengths of our team. We just need to be better at getting him the ball in the right positions. Like we saw against the Knights.
I would be surprised too, given he's played on the wing plenty. So BA thinks he brings more than he takes away. But that was with another big winger to cart the ball forward. So maybe when Gunco returns Auva'a will shift to the wing and Hoffman out. Or Davis could replace Hoffman at any time I guess.