What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
The point is a wing/centre swap is unremarkable. It doesn't suddenly become some team-breaking dark sorcery just because French swaps with Hoffman.

Yes but a continual 3 way swap during the game is unheard of. Can you even think of another occasion this has occurred?

I have a feeling the ploy has only been used once. And that we will never see such stupidity again. Thank God

Noise

Coach
I would be surprised too, given he's played on the wing plenty. So BA thinks he brings more than he takes away. But that was with another big winger to cart the ball forward. So maybe when Gunco returns Auva'a will shift to the wing and Hoffman out. Or Davis could replace Hoffman at any time I guess.

I like you IALB and agree with most things you say.....But this Davis thing....f**k you man

Chipmunk

Coach
Hayne to fullback would be to get him away from the defensive load at centre - it's a defensive position! Jennings swapping sides would be to allow Auva'a to play on his preferred side. I agree it's to improve the team, but our problem has been our defence, not who is returning kicks. And Hayne was already attacking at fullback for our good ball sets, at least until he got tired. I reckon Hayne will spend time on the wing this week.

Scott was crook. Was probably coming down with it while playing against Penrith too. Do you think it's coincidence that we conceded 54 points without Scott in the team?

In fairless, we conceeded 24 points before Scott would normally be on the field in any case.

lingard

Coach
I think making the left side a weakness just to strengthen the right side wouldn't have been any more helpful. Though if Hayne had played left centre he could've swapped with Auva'a in defence.

Yes. Which really would have been a far more sensible idea, defensively. BA probably liked the idea of Hayne on the right (outside Moses) in attack, but defensively a mistake, imo.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't watch Wenty so maybe he's crap but he's a lot bigger than Hoffman, can play wing and is in the top 30. I think.

Hoff is a much better defender. And Davis is probably too slow for the wing, in terms of defensive stuff. He turns like Erig Grothe Junior with his shoelaces tied together.

Young though and will do a job if needed but I wouldn't be dropping Hoff for him

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes but a continual 3 way swap during the game is unheard of. Can you even think of another occasion this has occurred?
I have seen it before on multiple occasions, usually when teams are missing a key player. One time I can remember was when we beat the Titans in 2011. Three blokes on the left edge played different positions in attack and defence:

Defence (positions not jersey numbers)
2. Burt
3. Hicks
6. Morgan

Attack (also not jersey numbers)
2. Hicks
3. Morgan
6. Burt

But as I've said, I've seen it a few times before. Your position in attack is not your position in defence. There is no need for them to be the same. Coote attacks at left half for the Cowboys but defends at fullback. Every team swaps their halves and edge forwards in attack and defence. Nobody gets confused by it.
I have a feeling the ploy has only been used once. And that we will never see such stupidity again. Thank God
If it was stupidity it wouldn't have been done. It was an attempt to utilise a strength (Hayne's playmaking) without creating a weakness (Hoffman defending at centre).

Bazal

Post Whore
I have seen it before on multiple occasions, usually when teams are missing a key player. One time I can remember was when we beat the Titans in 2011. Three blokes on the left edge played different positions in attack and defence:

Defence (positions not jersey numbers)
2. Burt
3. Hicks
6. Morgan

Attack (also not jersey numbers)
2. Hicks
3. Morgan
6. Burt

But as I've said, I've seen it a few times before. Your position in attack is not your position in defence. There is no need for them to be the same. Coote attacks at left half for the Cowboys but defends at fullback. Every team swaps their halves and edge forwards in attack and defence. Nobody gets confused by it.

If it was stupidity it wouldn't have been done. It was an attempt to utilise a strength (Hayne's playmaking) without creating a weakness (Hoffman defending at centre).

I'm sure we did it in earlier than that too. I reckon Burt and/or Hodgson used to shuffle into the backline way back in the early 2000s

Hoff is a much better defender. And Davis is probably too slow for the wing, in terms of defensive stuff. He turns like Erig Grothe Junior with his shoelaces tied together.

Young though and will do a job if needed but I wouldn't be dropping Hoff for him
I remember now someone mentioned he is very large these days. But his games in the top grade were on the wing weren't they?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Happy MEel

First Grade
I like you IALB and agree with most things you say.....But this Davis thing....f**k you man
Yep my sentiments as well...

giphy.gif

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yeah but neither French or Hoffman are gonna get our sets off to a good start, which affects the whole team's performance. Hoffman is nothing special and he won't be barging his way over for tries either.
Hoffman will do a job for the time being and we also now have Hayne in the back three.

Hoffman will do a job for the time being and we also now have Hayne in the back three.
Sure, he won't have as many f**k ups as Davis I'd bet but what he doesn't provide makes everyone else have to work harder. And I reckon when our forwards run out of puff there won't be too many people blaming the small winger. But that doesn't mean it's not his fault. It's a theory anyway.

strider

Post Whore
The merkin made massive run metres from fullback. It mightn’t seem explosive but he gets through plenty of metres.
When at his best he could make good breaks and get metres ... but those days are gone

He never barged hard at a good kick chase