What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Djay

Juniors
Regardless of Hayne making huge metres atleast we won't be starting half our sets getting pushed backwards, the downfall of French at the back is majority of the time he is getting pushed metres back and we don't start any sets with any sort of roll forward.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Its more that he doesn't get manhandled, driven back and put on his back from the kick return, like French does
Exactly. If he can get back to the 30m line on a kick return (no matter how slow he seems to be running), not get dominated, get up and play the ball then he has done his job.

strider

Post Whore
Regardless of Hayne making huge metres atleast we won't be starting half our sets getting pushed backwards, the downfall of French at the back is majority of the time he is getting pushed metres back and we don't start any sets with any sort of roll forward.
It will still happen if he is on the wing .... teams will kick to him whether he is wing or fullback

Happy MEel

First Grade
It will still happen if he is on the wing .... teams will kick to him whether he is wing or fullback
Well then he learns to use his elusiveness, runs harder and gets lower at contact or learns to be in perfect positioning or we weigh up what we value more...finishing or hit ups/kick returns and select accordingly.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Lol he did it it SOO .... he grew an extra f**kin leg for SOO when he was younger
You said he never barged hard at a strong kick chase. I provided video evidence to the contrary.

Perhaps it’s on BA to instill an origin mindset into Jarryd and get the best out of him. BA is the man-manager after all.

strider

Post Whore
You said he never barged hard at a strong kick chase. I provided video evidence to the contrary.

Perhaps it’s on BA to instill an origin mindset into Jarryd and get the best out of him. BA is the man-manager after all.
Ok i shouldnt have said "never" .... and im sure he did it occaisionally at parra too .... but i also think its ridiculous to use Hayne playing SOO examples cos he lived for rep footy in the old days and turned into a different player

Dont get me wrong - i hope hayne is great at fullback - and i think french has done surprisingly well on the wing in the past .... im not against the switch ...... but i would also put gutho at fullback over both of em

Happy MEel

First Grade
Ok i shouldnt have said "never" .... and im sure he did it occaisionally at parra too .... but i also think its ridiculous to use Hayne playing SOO examples cos he lived for rep footy in the old days and turned into a different player

Dont get me wrong - i hope hayne is great at fullback - and i think french has done surprisingly well on the wing in the past .... im not against the switch ...... but i would also put gutho at fullback over both of em
I reckon that last scenario is my 50/50 call. I think Guth brings more to the centre role than Hayne and IMO Hayne brings different but equally valuable qualities to the fullback role. However, I could be persuaded and it would depend on Jarryd’s form over the next 4 or 5 weeks.

IFR33K

Coach
Can hayne play the 80 at fullback, or does bevan chime in, in attacking plays?

It makes more sense, than the other way around, especially if Hayne will struggle fitness wise.

Happy MEel

First Grade

It makes more sense, than the other way around, especially if Hayne will struggle fitness wise.
Hayne will be fine fitness wise IMO. He won’t be the energetic player that supports every play like Guth is, but he never has been and has won 2 Dally Ms for his troubles. He just needs to give us good starts to our sets, have good positioning in defence and chime into the backline as required and he will have done his job.

Although we haven't seen any evidence this year that Hayne can last the 80 there, I don't see why he can't. He has in the past and it's only getting cooler from here. It's not like he's over the hill either.

strider

Post Whore

Why would hayne have a fitness issue? ... he has been back in the nrl for best part of 2 years - he hasnt been out with injury .... if he has a fitness problem thwn he needs to get his finger out

hindy111

Post Whore
Why would hayne have a fitness issue? ... he has been back in the nrl for best part of 2 years - he hasnt been out with injury .... if he has a fitness problem thwn he needs to get his finger out

Was about to say the same thing. He played there nearly all last season and has lost weight this year.
Bevan is yet to prove himself as a complete NRL player Wing or Fullback. Unsure why people see him as a lock in.

Was about to say the same thing. He played there nearly all last season and has lost weight this year.
Bevan is yet to prove himself as a complete NRL player Wing or Fullback. Unsure why people see him as a lock in.
People like a flashy young player. Modest too. Hasn't abandoned the club yet either. But I agree, nowhere near proven.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

French's other position, wing, he also has to perform kick returns.

Latest posts