What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 V Souths

ALSGI

Bench
Cause we’ll be tired from scoring so many tries?
Maybe but we’re pretty fit.
Yep, you got it mate.
You guys will score so many tries it’s scary.
We’re all shit scared.
“Glory, glory to Souff Fidney, glory, glory to fouth fydney....”

getsmarty

Immortal
teamlist_round10_newstile.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL team: Round 10 v Rabbitohs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 8 May 2018, 04:01 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad to face the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, May 13 at 2pm.

The Dragons maintained their standing atop the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership last weekend following their 34-14 defeat of reigning premiers Melbourne.

Following Reece Robson's NRL debut against the Storm, another young Dragon's maiden first grade game beckons following Zac Lomax's selection in the 17.

Robson shifts to 18th man as a result, while Blake Lawrie replaces Jacob Host in the wider squad.

A reminder to Red V members that your Red V membership doesn't include entry to this weekend's game. Please check your emails for member ticket offers to secure your seat.

NRL squad for Round 10 v South Sydney Rabbitohs:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Destination Wollongong
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by Westfund
17. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
19. Mitchell Allgood
20. Blake Lawrie
21. Hame Sele

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/08/nrl-team-round-10-v-rabbitohs/

getsmarty

Immortal
macinnesc-1850651rc.jpg

DRAGONS

Extra incentive for McInnes against old side
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Mon 7 May 2018, 08:01 PM

Beating South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Sunday is just one of two tasks facing Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes - he will also be involved in an Origin selection showdown with Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook.

McInnes and Cook have thrust themselves into the selection stoplight over the opening nine rounds of the Telstra Premiership season with a series of solid performances.

Unless there is a Blues bolter named at hooker, the pair is essentially locked in a head to head battle for the No.9 jersey in NSW coach Brad Fittler's team for the first game of the series at the MCG on June 6.

Cook is widely considered the front-runner at this stage but a dominant performance from McInnes this weekend could turn the tables in the St George Illawarra rake's favour.

"I've played them that many times now with Charity Shield that it's just another game," McInnes said.

"He's [Cook] playing well and doing a good job for them but my job as the hooker for my team is to get our boys going forward.

"I still don't think I'm at my potential yet. I'm getting better and being more consistent. That's the pleasing thing and I think it comes back to the faith Mary [coach Paul McGregor] has shown in me and all the coaching staff, and the way the boys have accepted me.

mcinnesc-180406-gp-63.jpg

Dragons hooker Cam McInnes. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I just want to be playing good for the Dragons. The crowd we had out there today comes off the back of us playing as a team, playing for each other and if individual rewards come later than obviously I'll be happy, but I just want to keep this going because what we are creating is unbelievable."

McInnes isn't the only Dragons player who has an Origin spot to play for in the coming weeks. Lock Jack de Belin is a great chance to make his Origin debut, while forwards Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims and centre Euan Aitken are also in selection calculations.

Speaking after the Dragons thrashed reigning premiers Melbourne 34-14 on Sunday, Aitken said his own self-belief is the main reason behind his strong weekly performances.

"I'm confident," Aitken said.

"I back myself in one on one situations and I've got good self-belief at the moment and that comes off the back of a great team. You look left and right and you know you're playing with good players.

"I'm just trying to take each game as it comes and put my best foot forward and do the right thing for the Dragons. Hopefully we come away with wins and that's only going to put me in a good spot [for Origin selection].

aitkene-try-celeb-180506_gt_15.jpg

Dragons centre Euan Aitken gets a hug from Gareth Widdop. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"Whoever I'm up against I want to have a big battle with and try to get it over them. If you can get over the opposition centre it's only going to help the team getting the win.

"I love that battle. It makes you a better player, so that's what I want to keep doing - improving and getting better at my game, keep defending well and making sure we are defending as a team.''

With McGregor expecting to lose key players during the representative period, he wants to rack up as many wins as possible with a full team available.

"It's important to get wins now if we do lose players or when we do lose players," he said.

"Whether we can afford to rest them to freshen them up or put them out there for smaller minutes, that is sort of the unknown at the moment. It's still three weeks before they select their side. Anything can happen within three weeks."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/08/extra-incentive-for-mcinnes-against-old-side/

MilanDragon

Juniors
Mary clearly does have a plan with that 17 spot. Not giving much game time to the position as such, but allowing the other players (Host, Sele, Robson) to keep up match fitness while getting a touch of FG at the same time.

The way I see it, Mann is our 3rd forward on the bench, if someone goes down he goes in at 13 and JDB to 2nd row etc etc.

Might not be conventional but I don’t mind this. At least Mary is planning ahead (thinking origin). He has evolved somewhat!

Old Timer

Coach
Host picked 1 game gets 7minutes not picked next game, Robson picked 1 game gets 7 minutes not picked next game, now Lomax probably 7 minutes and who knows what next game?
In all honesty do people really believe that is blooding players or preparing them for an 80 minute game in 1st grade come SOO week?
IMO it is a very strange policy masked by the fact we are winning games and leading the comp.
What is actually wrong with picking them for 2 games, playing them for 20 minutes per game and then rotating to the next player who needs 1st grade time?
Does anyone think that based on what we have seen this year by increasing the game time for these players (in preparation for SOO week and come what may) we would have actually lost any games?

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Host picked 1 game gets 7minutes not picked next game, Robson picked 1 game gets 7 minutes not picked next game, now Lomax probably 7 minutes and who knows what next game?
In all honesty do people really believe that is blooding players or preparing them for an 80 minute game in 1st grade come SOO week?
IMO it is a very strange policy masked by the fact we are winning games and leading the comp.
What is actually wrong with picking them for 2 games, playing them for 20 minutes per game and then rotating to the next player who needs 1st grade time?
Does anyone think that based on what we have seen this year by increasing the game time for these players (in preparation for SOO week and come what may) we would have actually lost any games?
smile mate

Gareth67

First Grade
This will be an interesting clash of the forwards, more so with ' forearm ' Burgess returning for the Rabbits. If there is any one that he is afraid of then it is our man James Graham, who taught him in the '14 G.Final how it was really done in the trenches .

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Funny how you take some valid questions and then interpret them as being "not happy Jan".
Believe me the Kamasutra will give you greater pleasure than being stuck in the missionary position which seems to be your wish.
8-1 that is all i will say. i will speak to you on the 30th of September 7pm.

Frank Facer

First Grade
10 minutes at the end for Aitken or NIghty if we are winning most likely ...
You are probably correct. I did notice Lomax in the dressing room after the game against Melbourne. He has been in our squad of 21 most of the season. I think Mary wants to make him feel part of the team.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
If we did lose any of those games, then I think you would be even more critical of Mary. Many posters were very critical of Mary putting Leilua on with 20 to go against Souths and Leilua making some vital mistakes that gave Souths the opportunity to nearly snatch the game.

RufusRex

Post Whore
If Mann is on the bench then it is low risk to start Lomax .. if it doesn't work then Mann can come in and replace him - he is experienced on the wing and demonstrated that he can play there quite ably.

Lomax start, Mann/AhMau/Latimore/Sele on the bench works just fine.

If it fails miserably it is one game and Nighty can come back in next week.