What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favourite-ever season for the Dragons and why?

Dragon for life

Juniors
2010. We won the comp.
Yeah I would have to say 2010 minus Soward. ( something about him just didn’t sit well with me). Then the next few years confirm it for me when he probably got tackled a total of 5 times for the year. No ticker!!

It’s great to watch good attacking football but for me it’s better to be rock solid in defence. Time and time again we would be camped on our goaline with the opposition peppering away with no joy and then we would get the ball and usually score. We could score points and could rack up a score but it was the defence that frustrated teams into errors.

Plus the fact that I was only young for the 77 and 79 finals, so my first GF win after watching 5 loses was a massive relief and removed the chokers tag which my mates would always bring up time and time again. So 2010 for me.

P.s loved watching Creagh until he backed away from Hodges in origin. Very disaapointed and he should have just let fly even if couldn’t land one. Lol

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah I would have to say 2010 minus Soward. ( something about him just didn’t sit well with me). Then the next few years confirm it for me when he probably got tackled a total of 5 times for the year. No ticker!!

It’s great to watch good attacking football but for me it’s better to be rock solid in defence. Time and time again we would be camped on our goaline with the opposition peppering away with no joy and then we would get the ball and usually score. We could score points and could rack up a score but it was the defence that frustrated teams into errors.

Plus the fact that I was only young for the 77 and 79 finals, so my first GF win after watching 5 loses was a massive relief and removed the chokers tag which my mates would always bring up time and time again. So 2010 for me.

P.s loved watching Creagh until he backed away from Hodges in origin. Very disaapointed and he should have just let fly even if couldn’t land one. Lol
What a great post. I know exactly how you feel regarding Soward. lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

I took my daughter to the semi-final.

On the train home, my wife was accosted, and my little girl who 8, was scared, by some scum bag Saints fans.

They have never and will never go again to a football game, my daughter now hates all sports.

Then you lost Melbourne.

Be Proud Saints, your fans like to scare females and kids on trains.

ouryears

Bench

On the train home, my wife was accosted, and my little girl who 8, was scared, by some scum bag Saints fans.

They have never and will never go again to a football game, my daughter now hates all sports.

Then you lost Melbourne.

Are you for real?
Like shonkies fans are well behaved?
Still smarting that Mundine, Barrett and co ripped you guys apart in our great win over you?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not the game, you beat us.

The rest is why my girl will marry a musician.

FTR the little Maltese wife shut them down.

Then was happy to see to lose the next week.

So long ago...

Crush

Coach

Then you lost Melbourne.

So because you had an unfortunate incident with some scum bag that happened to be a Saints fan you have now decided all saints fans are scum bags?
Thats the kinda thinking that fuels racism and riots.....

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I started following the dragons in 77 after moving from South Aussie as a kid, a place where rugby league at that time was virtually unheard of. The only team I knew or heard of was St George so I started following them. Not knowing bugger all about RL I had no idea really how awesome a feat that was that year when a team of virtual babes (from memory the average age was 23) coached by this bloke called Harry Bath who chain smoked and talked straight, given little chance all year right through to the GF against a pretty good Parramatta team. An amazing drawn GF, the first in history which included some of the best magic Goodwin could come up with. Then a week later they pulled it together to crush Parramatta in the replay. Rod Reddy was forever my hero after that year. 1979 was also great and 1996 was a bloody miracle.

I started following the dragons in 77 after moving from South Aussie as a kid, a place where rugby league at that time was virtually unheard of. The only team I knew or heard of was St George so I started following them. Not knowing bugger all about RL I had no idea really how awesome a feat that was that year when a team of virtual babes (from memory the average age was 23) coached by this bloke called Harry Bath who chain smoked and talked straight, given little chance all year right through to the GF against a pretty good Parramatta team. An amazing drawn GF, the first in history which included some of the best magic Goodwin could come up with. Then a week later they pulled it together to crush Parramatta in the replay. Rod Reddy was forever my hero after that year. 1979 was also great and 1996 was a bloody miracle.

Got that beat, I’ve said this before, but I moved here in Dec 79 and thought to myself, “2 premierships in 3 years, here’s the successful team to follow”.
Well we all know how that turned out.

Then you lost Melbourne.

I’ve been to Shark Park in front of the Downunder/ Summertime bar on game day, trust me you’ve got some drop kick supporters too.

1999 even though the result wasn’t what I’d hoped! as ive admitted on this forum before I was a dogs supporter growing up and the 99 grand final I was best man at a mates wedding I was totally engrossed so much so that we kept the bride waiting till the game was over and I’ve been an avid saint ever since bought my first jersey ironically in Melbourne that Xmas and never looked back so the year I became a saint followed by 2010

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Then you lost Melbourne.

Mr Angry.
I'm sorry your wife and daughter for what happened but you have plenty of dckhead fans.
Going to shark park is not fun.
Got to say but only grand final I wich I disliked was 2016 all the rest I can live with.

ouryears

Bench
Not the game, you beat us.

The rest is why my girl will marry a musician.

FTR the little Maltese wife shut them down.

Then was happy to see to lose the next week.

So long ago...
The main thing is don't get on social media and write anything about reclaiming Australia resulting in fueling a racist riot.

Ohhhh wait, you guys already did.....!

Old Timer

Coach
Mr Angry and his family had a frightening experience and unfortunately people of all persuasions sat back and let it happen.
However it doesn’t mean that all Saints supporters are morons and dick heads and hopefully he will come to realise that and not tar everyone with the same brush.
Now I can see some dick head posts where people take umbridge at him doing that and then immediately do the same thing by lumping him in with the race riot idiots.
Wake up to yourselves and at least show him whilst we don’t agree with his dislike
of us we at least comprehend the nightmare he and his family endured.

BennyV

Referee
2018 was good.
Solid all year, with a couple of blemishes but we still took out the minor premiership and then after losing our first Finals game came back to beat Roosters, then Broncs and Sharks in the GF. I actually felt sorry for Duges crying at the end, but he only played 12 games all year, not bad for 750k. The double tries to Dufty and Lomax in the GF was brilliant. Great to see Nighty off with his 2nd title too, albeit from the bench but the penalty goal he kicked on full time was special.

2019 was awesome too but there wasn’t really much competition that year.
It truly was incredible for Lomax to bag a double with only 6 minutes of game time. I guess by the point Sharks has just given up and we’re busy watching pigs flying around the rafters of a newly rebuilt Kogarah stadium, where the grand final was held.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
It's funny three grand finals stick out in my mind ( I know cheating), 1985,1996, and 1977 Replay. In two of these games we had teams that were not as strong as some of the other teams, especially in 1996, but we played above our weight all year and got into the grand final. In 1996 we could have won with a bit of luck and without a try being awarded after Manly scored after their full back was tackled but was allowed to get up and just keep running while our guys were getting ready for the next ruck. Disgraceful.
In 1985 we made the grand final in all 3 grades but won the lower two but lost the firsts narrowly after a game dominated by bombs. Glenn Burgess as fullback was magnificent and courageous that day.
In the 1977 Replay I just loved that our team was made up of 13 young mongrels, especially Reddy, who bashed the Parramatta forwards, calling out 'Shulman' every time they wanted to lift. The player they smashed most of all was Ray Highes, who had kneed our little halfback in the first match and put him out of the second game. I was at both 1977 games and I saw us show more mongrel that day then I have ever seen from a Saints side. By the second half, a representative filled Parra forward pack were scared to run with the ball. Bath's Babes were Bath's Bashers that day. Wonderful.

Latest posts