What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin I - QLD 12-22 NSW @ MCG

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamkungl

Immortal
Devils advocate time.
NSW looked very good last night. And yet I can't help not getting swept up in it all. We've been here before...

Game 1 last year was a demolition job... and yet we collapsed in spectacular fashion.
Game 2 2015 we did a number on them, and were playing at peak confidence. We came out and got 50 put on us in game 3.
Game 1 2013 another comfortable win with a host of fresh faces... and again, they failed to back it up.

And so forth.

With the QLD GOATs all put out to pasture, I hope it's the end of the dominance but I'll believe it when I see it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
With the QLD GOATs all put out to pasture, I hope it's the end of the dominance but I'll believe it when I see it.

This is the difference to me - QLD had a gear to lift, I don't think Slater alone is enough to do that anymore. Smith and Cronk were key.

betcats

Referee
Klemmer took his runs either from a more established start to the set e.g. a penalty, scrum, kick off etc. or later in the set so of course he gets more yardage per carry. That's not bagging him, that is a prop's job.

Gallen got knocked for taking hit up after hit up in the attacking 30 ruining all momentum of the set, Cordner didn't do that yesterday, the vast majority of his hit ups were rolling the sleeves up from our own end when no other forwards had the energy or willingness to.

Cordner certainly didn’t bog down the attack as Gallen does sometimes but if you’re saying Gal wasn’t always back there taking tough runs in origin then you’d be wrong mate.

Anyway he did his job but imo there are a number of nsw backrowers who could replicate that performance or better it of given the same opportunities and runs.

I was glad to have an experienced and level headed guy captaining the team once the game started but I just can’t agree that Boyd is one of nsw best 3 backrowers right now.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
He had the most runs, of course his post contact metres will be the highest.

Is that hard to understand?

well if your getting driven back every hit up you'll have zero post contact meters wont you?... Therefore most runs does not equal most post contact meters.. just how most runs doesn't equal most meters...i know you don't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed mate but that's just embarrassing... understand?

SBD82

Coach
Devils advocate time.
NSW looked very good last night. And yet I can't help not getting swept up in it all. We've been here before...

Game 1 last year was a demolition job... and yet we collapsed in spectacular fashion.
Game 2 2015 we did a number on them, and were playing at peak confidence. We came out and got 50 put on us in game 3.
Game 1 2013 another comfortable win with a host of fresh faces... and again, they failed to back it up.

And so forth.

I don't think that's necessarily playing devils advocate. It's just the cold hard truth.

We've been in this position before and been beaten. The series isn't won yet.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'm confused , you loved the savage nature between fans last night, or the atmosphere was not up to the usual standard as per your last line?
I think both games were lacking, but I definitely don't see any of the 2014 games worthy of being held up as a beacon of atmosphere.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't think that's necessarily playing devils advocate. It's just the cold hard truth.

We've been in this position before and been beaten. The series isn't won yet.

Just a lot of people acting like this is some bright new era... let's see them back it up first. 2 chances to break the curse. We see the same false dawn almost every year.

Munted

Bench
I think both games were lacking, but I definitely don't see any of the 2014 games worthy of being held up as a beacon of atmosphere.
Potentially my intoxication amplified 2014 atmosphere.

I guess my opinion was more around how even at the big G, for origin, it didn't kick me up the nuts like I hoped.

Meth

Staff member
One has been outstanding for 5 years. The other has finally pulled his finger out after 4 years of mediocrity.

People are too quick to forget Sims' disgrsceful 'effort' at Newcastle.

I don't disagree with you. I just thought to point out that Feleti Mateo wasn't the alternative second row option

betcats

Referee
Just a lot of people acting like this is some bright new era... let's see them back it up first. 2 chances to break the curse. We see the same false dawn almost every year.

You said it in your original post, the big 4 are gone. It’s been 13 years since nsw had it over QLD in the spine. It’s very different this year for that reason alone.

QLD are very capable of winning this series but if nsw play well we will win. Better forwards, better spine and bigger faster outside backs. That team had 11 debutants and all new combinations, they will get better for that run, the confidence in the team will be huge.

We only got cracked by a grubber and an intercept, did qld have a genuine linebreak all night? I don’t recall any.

adamkungl

Immortal
You said it in your original post, the big 4 are gone. It’s been 13 years since nsw had it over QLD in the spine. It’s very different this year for that reason alone.

QLD are very capable of winning this series but if nsw play well we will win. Better forwards, better spine and bigger faster outside backs. That team had 11 debutants and all new combinations, they will get better.

We only got cracked by a grubber and an intercept, did qld have a genuine linebreak all night?

Logic plays no part in NSW collapses.

betcats

Referee
Logic plays no part in NSW collapses.

No but having better, smarter and more experienced players played a huge part in qld dominance. They don’t have that anymore. Whether nsw win or lose this series this is a new era, the era of Cam Smith and his big four is done. Hopefully we are entering the era of Teddy, Latrell, Cleary, Turbo etc

Tedesco was great. Not much else needs to be said.

Latrell was brilliant, was so satisfying watching him carve up Chambers.

Tom was great, I really think we need to put more of an emphasis on doing kicking cross field kicks to him. Watching Ben Hunt bomb to his wing was comical, reminiscent of Pearce doing the same thing to Israel Folau.

Damien Cooke was impressive on debut, think he'll be around for a while.

Tyson Frizzell was strong.

other then that I wasn't too impressed. 22-12 against a team without Slater, Smith, Thurston and Slater really doesn't make me jump for joy.

Latest posts