What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Eels v Cowboys - Live Game day thread

Chipmunk

Coach
The Plane looked great, although a poor effort in defence at the end for their last try. But he'll be better for the run.

Brown and Mannah in the team make a difference.

Mahoney is a work in progress. He's definitely not the best passer from dummy half.

I'll be interested to see how Niukore progresses. I've seen nothing yet to suggest that he'll ever offer more than Terepo ever has.

I'd still move Norman on for a more compatible halves partner for Moses.

We need to find a better goal kicker for next season.

Thurston is well passed it.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So does Mahoney get promoted to the top 30?

I say yes !
Yes for mine. His passing game is better than King and Kaysa’s (even with tonight’s mistakes). We rolled up the field tonight with Reed as our rake and he tackles anything that moves. I realise he goes low all the time but we seemed to be hunting as a pack in the middle tonight to cover for it (which we should be doing for both Kaysa and King). What I particularly liked about reed though was his urgency to get up and put himself in a good position at marker for the following tackle.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes for mine. His passing game is better than King and Kaysa’s (even with tonight’s mistakes). We rolled up the field tonight with Reed as our rake and he tackles anything that moves. I realise he goes low all the time but we seemed to be hunting as a pack in the middle tonight to cover for it (which we should be doing for both Kaysa and King). What I particularly liked about reed though was his urgency to get up and put himself in a good position at marker for the following tackle.

I think a good short hooker needs to go low, tbh. Just cut the grass, let others worry about the ball that is no doubt 3 feet above his head anyway.

I liked the look of him. I think he will benefit from more time with Wenty when others are fit, the way that Alvaro was brought through.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think King is better starting than off the bench, but I agree he is weak over 80 minutes.

Possibly. I just think he provides an energy in attack, which can be more useful off the bench than a guy like Kaysa who provides a spark in defence.

Either way, he's not an 80 minute player and I think he suffers for playing 80. He's better than he gets to show at the moment

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think a good shirt hooker needs to go low, tbh. Just cut the grass, let others worry about the ball that is no doubt 3 feet above his head anyway.

I liked the look of him. I think he will benefit from more time with Wenty when others are fit, the way that Alvaro was brought through.
Agree with most of this. However, given his start tonight, I don’t see why he can’t play the same role as he did tonight moving forward. He’s not having to play 80 minutes and I think the kid is up to it. We’re in a unique position where our season is gone early. This is the perfect time to give him experience in the top grade, particularly if he is going to add value to the team.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think King is better starting than off the bench, but I agree he is weak over 80 minutes.

Once Pritchard is back I doubt he will have a spot.

A Mahoney / Pritchard combo could work out for a few years. And both are probably strong enough (and quick enough) to play that “lock” role BA previously used!

I reckon if Mahoney performs to a similar level for the next few weeks, we won’t be looking for a hooker (with Pritchard re-signing)

Chipmunk

Coach
Once Pritchard is back I doubt he will have a spot.

A Mahoney / Pritchard combo could work out for a few years. And both are probably strong enough (and quick enough) to play that “lock” role BA previously used!

I reckon if Mahoney performs to a similar level for the next few weeks, we won’t be looking for a hooker (with Pritchard re-signing)

Did we re-sign Pritchard?

Bazal

Post Whore
Agree with most of this. However, given his start tonight, I don’t see why he can’t play the same role as he did tonight moving forward. He’s not having to play 80 minutes and I think the kid is up to it. We’re in a unique position where our season is gone early. This is the perfect time to give him experience in the top grade, particularly if he is going to add value to the team.

I purely think that the benefits of playing young kids with the NSW (or QLD) Cup side for a bit is demonstrated, and that youngsters seem to fail more often without that stepping stone.

As others (84 Baby and or OA, I think) have mentioned with regards to Alvaro, there is absolutely a benefit to giving a player that stepping stone. Give him a taste and then when we have a fit option and the exemption is no longer valid, send him back to ISP and have him work on improving.