What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Pommy

Coach
Thought that would be mentioned. It's moreso the initial familiarity phase in development. Granted they would not necessarily remember however it's a start and initial introduction. This is what the very public savvy AFL are targeting along with a culturally and socially inviting timeslot. But yes I can understand your point however initial experiences do have a cognitive flow effect.

How many families in Sydney are watching the AFL grand final? I have no idea on the figures but my guess would be not a lot.

barneybuck888

Juniors
so

that's why the AFL are moving their GF to a night fixture as well ?
no announcement as to when yet
but any year now they'll have followed the lead of almost every other major sport on the planet playing their season decider at night

They will most likely go twilight for a couple of years to shut up the whingers and then full night GF.

Stallion

First Grade
How many families in Sydney are watching the AFL grand final? I have no idea on the figures but my guess would be not a lot.

The kids are definitely exposed to it (AFL) every Saturday on Free to air tv. . And if it's easier to access then it's easier for kids to watch.

unforgiven

Bench
The kids are definitely exposed to it (AFL) every Saturday on Free to air tv. . And if it's easier to access then it's easier for kids to watch.

I really don't think many kids are exposed to it regularly. A 32000 average for Sydney suggest not many kids are taking up the option of watching it on free to air.

Pommy

Coach

There’s a lot of stuff on free to air TV but it doesn’t mean kids are watching it.
It’s very rare that I ever see any children wearing AFL merchandise in Sydney, I don’t think it’s unfair to assume that at least 50% of the small number of kids I do see have parents with ties to other states.
I would be willing to bet my house that I could go on a walk around Sydney today and see more kids wearing Manchester city (not United, as it wouldn’t even be close) merchandise than I would AFL.

Apey

Staff member
I live in the Newcastle area and AFL is very much in the psyche and prevalent in the primary school age groups. I'm seeing kids wearing AFL gear to sports theme days and I'm also seeing local rugby union school bags showing the local club moto and colours for all to see. There is a rugby league presence but not as prevalent as it once used to be.

Haha, what a load of shit. AFL is about as popular as badminton here.

Mister M

Juniors
GF prices are significantly better than the fumble ball. I can get "ultimate experience" for $650 each. Quick look at the aerial ping pong, they're wanting over a grand each for basic packages. RL for all the shit it gets is still more in tune with working class costs.

Bit of a bad example saying it’s ‘over a grand each for basic packages’ for the AFL Grand Final. They are only selling corporate/travel packages for the AFL Grand Final as 80k of the tickets are kept for sale of the week of the ground.

How many seats does the NRL keep aside for members of the competing clubs? 6k for each club and they are seats behind the try line no one really wants to sit in.

Compare that to the AFL that allocate 17k for each clubs members, plus the AFL membership allocation of an additional 20k that AFL members who support the competing clubs get first priority.

I agree that the NRL Grand Final is much easier to attend as a ‘fan of the code’, but I think the AFL does a better job at providing good access and quality seats to competing club members/supporters who buy tickets after their team makes it rather than back in June.

Stallion

First Grade

The lack of free to air tv NRL on Saturdays isn't doing the clubs any favours. W
How are the school holidays treating you? You deserve the the break. It’s bloody tough pretending to be a teacher.

It must be tougher pretending you are educated?

Stallion

First Grade
they've been exposed to it for 40 years
& still

No one watches it

I am seeing primary school aged kids playing AFL on weekends. Even last week at my daughter's soccer I overheard parents talking about their kids playing AFL on Sunday. Pretty sure this amount of presence was not about 20 years ago. But then again you experts choose to ignore this.

Stallion

First Grade
You tell me?
PS Nobody in Newcastle gives a shit about AFL no matter how much you try and say otherwise.

Most primary schools I teach at there is at least one kid playing Aust rules. That wasn't the case in decades gone by. A year 3/4 class of 30 students all referred to football as being AFL about a month ago . When I we questioned this they said "Get with it sir!"

Last edited: