What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

The Teach

Juniors
Haven't read the tgread yet. But Masada Iosefa is a guy I thought would be a first grader for a decade or more with rep games and all on his resume.

Started out ok. But for some reason turned to shit.

He was the first player I thought of for this thread. He turned to shit because of his attitude and believing his own hype, in my opinion.

Meth

Staff member
This is a thread for Warriors fans. If the player that you were surprised never made it was a football club, it'd be the NZ Warriors. Think about all those years when our juniors were dominated the Holden Cup (or whatever it was called) and those players more or less amounted to nought.

Off the top of my head-

Iafeta Paleaasina. I had never seen anything like him when he burst (so apt a word) onto the scene. He went to England so early- must've played there for a decade or so.

Vince Mellars and Cooper Vuna seemed to have the talent to be anything, but their attitude stunk.

Ali Lauitiiti- like Iafeta, went to England. Never got over that one.

You could probably say Ukuma Ta'ai was like Ali too.

Kevin Locke- that kid looked like he was going to be a bloody superstar.

Lolohea- seemed to get fatter and less capable.

Fiisiahi, Hurrell, Havilli- U20's superstars.

Lambretta

First Grade
Has any player been as prolific in the try scoring stakes and been unwanted by every club he has been at as Michael Oldfield?

His record
Manly. Played 24 games scored 14 tries
Roosters. Played one. Scored one
Catalans. Played 44. Scored 29.
Souths. Played 3. Scored 2
Penrith. Played 1. Scored 1.
Canberra. Played 6. Scored 5.

He has playes 35 NRL games, has scored 23 tries and has been cut 4 times.

Seriously, he must keep f**king the coaches wife.

Pauli Pauli.

Bad car crash when at the knights and now over in England. Still only 23 or so, and so maybe still has time to make it. In his early days he was an absolute wrecking ball.

As a side note - I really loathe when commentators & journo's tout young players as "future origin stars".. Pauli Pauli was mentioned a lot - and Luke Brooks also after is debut.. Andrew Johns is the main touter..

Whino

Bench
From the 80s - Mark Ross (Rossdog's dad) on the wing for Souths, Todd Riley at fullback for the Roosters went from tearaway leader in Rookie of the Year halfway through his 1st season to never seen again, literally, I don't think he even finished the season. David Woods, the only Parra junior that could have slotted into that champion backline, cruelled by injury.

Dave Woods had a tough run with injury. He had a few year at Penrith. Everytime you think he was building form he would get an injury. Such a shame.

Carney went alright in super league for a while I thought.

Brett Seymour
Sione Faumuina

Carney went badly in Super League. The clubs he signed for all sacked him. When he signed for Catalans he promised to learn French, but he had trouble remembering "bonjour" and "au revoir." Then he started getting pissed with Dumbo Dave Taylor, and wrecking bars, so they sacked both of them.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
seeing the carnage he has down for the all blacks laumape could be chucked on the warriors list as well

Meth

Staff member
seeing the carnage he has down for the all blacks laumape could be chucked on the warriors list as well

He would have been something if he stuck with League, no question. He just didn't want to

butchmcdick

Immortal
He would have been something if he stuck with League, no question. He just didn't want to

To be frank you could be part of arguably the best football team in the world, a team embraced by all kiwi’s or you could play for the warriors

Meth

Staff member
To be frank you could be part of arguably the best football team in the world, a team embraced by all kiwi’s or you could play for the warriors

I think he also didn't want to live in Auckland and RU offered him that opportunity

nick87

Coach
Has any player been as prolific in the try scoring stakes and been unwanted by every club he has been at as Michael Oldfield?

His record
Manly. Played 24 games scored 14 tries
Roosters. Played one. Scored one
Catalans. Played 44. Scored 29.
Souths. Played 3. Scored 2
Penrith. Played 1. Scored 1.
Canberra. Played 6. Scored 5.

He has playes 35 NRL games, has scored 23 tries and has been cut 4 times.

Seriously, he must keep f**king the coaches wife.

I never had much of an opinion of him prior but man he’s been great for us
He’s hard af, plays with a lot of energy and works his arse off

The club won’t do it, but the way he’s played, I’d be fine if Wighton got sacked and we just rolled with Cotric at fullback and Oldfield and Rapa on the wing