What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

gitano

Juniors
The dog shot he put on when he switched to Union was really the end of him.

We had a bloke named Jermaine Ale come through the grades in the mid 2000s, first with the Chooks then FG for us. Everything pointed to him as the next Meninga, then just fizzled.

Justin Carney is another. Had a decent run at FG but was never the player it looked like he’d be.
Ale was never gonna be anything

mongoose

Coach
every half Canberra has produced in the last 10-15 years who got talked up in lower grades but didn't cut it in firsts, and who's initials aren't TC.

Michael dobson, Marc Herbert, Will Zillman, Michael Picker, Mitchell cornish, sam williams....

Some Parra fans might remember the early teens aged wonderkid scouted from the bush and signed by Noel Cleal. The one and only Barney Haslett. Don't think he ever progressed further than President's Cup

Some Parra fans might remember the early teens aged wonderkid scouted from the bush and signed by Noel Cleal. The one and only Barney Haslett. Don't think he ever progressed further than President's Cup

I remember him. I think the Eels signed him up as a 13 year old? in the mid 90's He was on the back page of the papers. He might have even popped up on the footy show. A lot of hype by the media.
Poor bastard never had chance with all the hype.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I'm going to have to nominate Dane Tilse. Whenever I saw him play he just looked like he had a foot on everyone else on the field. He'd make SBW look short yet he just didn't have the ability to dominate a game like other forwards.
the skinny paul mcnicholas

t-ba

Post Whore
Nik Kosef. Having four knee recos will do that.

Luke Dorn. Looked f**king awesome in 2002 and then just fell off the face of the Earth. Him and Wittyfan stalking victim Chad Randall spent like half a decade at Broncoquins in London.

T-Rex and Foran should have been so much more.

butchmcdick

Immortal

BARNEY Haslett is not angry. He doesn't blame anyone other than himself. There are regrets, but mainly from his mother Noelene, who curses the day she allowed her son to leave home in Tumbarumba and move to Sydney.
More than a decade ago, Haslett was trumpeted by Parramatta after he was identified as a talent at 13. Barely out of primary school, he was suddenly front and back page news - The next big thing.

Haslett never played first grade. At the age of 18, when his deal with the Eels came to an end, he was cut loose. Now in his mid-20s, he plays rugby league in the country and works for a pool maintenance company.

His story resonates this week following revelations the Brisbane Broncos had recruited 13-year-old Joel Hagan, a teenager coveted by rival NRL clubs, the AFL and rugby union. Haslett isn't bitter. In fact, he was more than willing to share his experiences and pass on advice when contacted by The Weekend Australian this week.

"I'm not filthy on any situation," Haslett said.

"I know I had my opportunities and it didn't pan out. I had some good times, met some great mates.

"I can name-drop a lot of people, which I always do. My 15 minutes is still slowly rolling out."

Haslett declined to critique the pursuit of children as young as 13, but his tale is a cautionary one, of clubs and the players they target.

From the moment he was identified by then-Parramatta recruitment guru Noel Cleal, pressure followed.

"The actual signing created a small amount of pressure back home," Haslett said.

"I got targeted a bit. I noticed that. In the short-term I think that made me a better footballer. It did pick me up a level, to a degree.

"I got a fair bit from a couple of teams that were better than us. All I did was trying to keep playing as well as I could.

"Making the representative teams was the harder part. I missed out on selection for NSW under-15s twice and I think at that stage Crusher (Cleal) was looking at me thinking what have I done.

"Then I went and played first-grade in the Group Nine competition and scored 12 tries in seven games. I just peaked at a different time to everyone else." The real troubles began when Haslett moved to Sydney. At 15, he enrolled in Parramatta Marist Brothers and lived in accommodation organised by the club. His room-mate at the time was NSW and Australia centre Jamie Lyon.

"It's a bit disappointing because I know myself I didn't really work hard enough and I partied a lot," Haslett said.

"But that's the situation I was allowed to be in. I was 16 and basically unsupervised in the city. I wouldn't have been allowed to go out when I was at home.

"If I had worked a bit harder and listened to a bit more advice, I might have gone in a different direction. These things happen."

Noelene, who has advised other mothers in recent years on the perils of allowing their children to sign with NRL clubs at a young age, said: "He was 15, turning 16. I had to let him go up to Sydney. He was led astray a bit. He just didn't have the motherly care.

"You miss too much of your family life. Barney and I regret those two years terribly. Parramatta looked after him and did all the right things, but it's not the same as having your family."

When he left Parramatta, Haslett played in the Jim Beam Cup. Next year he will captain-coach in the bush. Asked his thoughts on clubs recruiting children as young as 13, Haslett refused to be critical.

"I think these days the signing doesn't matter much any more - the age," he said. "I think it's making the decision on when they leave home and go to play for the team. Getting the coaching from (then coach) Brian Smith and his staff was invaluable. I lived with Jamie Lyon when I first moved up there. I was just turning 16 and he was turning 17. There wasn't that much age difference but he had a good head on his shoulders.

"He was a freak of nature. A lot of it depends on the kid and getting the timing exactly right, especially if they're moving from smaller towns to the big smoke."

Asked whether it would have been better for him to finish his schooling at home, Haslett admitted: "I think that would have been better, but I went to a good school at Parramatta Marist Brothers. We had every opportunity. I was a little bit too young mentally. That is the hard part. You definitely lose out on that family situation. I know a few of us had to meet guys from the club and talk things through - various issues that you would normally have your family there to do."

Like his mother, Haslett has become a sounding board for other parents. Recently he was contacted by a mother whose 12-year-old son had been targeted by an NRL side.

"She Googled 'youngest player signed' and my name came up," he said. "She looked me up on Facebook and I was right there. I outlined the positives and negatives. I had a couple of emails with her and had a talk about that.

"She thanked me and that was pretty much it. It's good to think that I can put my two-bob in and try to give advice to help somebody else out along the line."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...8d52642fb?sv=5ef662dc59adb43b368dfa27f226f1c7

He seems pretty chill about it

The article was written in 2009

I wonder what happened to Joel Hagan the 13 yo the broncos signed back then

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
every half Canberra has produced in the last 10-15 years who got talked up in lower grades but didn't cut it in firsts, and who's initials aren't TC.

Michael dobson, Marc Herbert, Will Zillman, Michael Picker, Mitchell cornish, sam williams....
todd carney

Bloke

Juniors
'Ces showed real talent and plenty of promise. Storm's rookie of the year in 2000, then his career went to shit just about the time Muppet took over as coach (I don't think it was a coincidence). In 2002 he had an injury wrecked year at the Beagles, and that was it.
He turned to shit before Muppet became coach. Flash in the pan.

BARNEY Haslett is not angry. He doesn't blame anyone other than himself. There are regrets, but mainly from his mother Noelene, who curses the day she allowed her son to leave home in Tumbarumba and move to Sydney.
More than a decade ago, Haslett was trumpeted by Parramatta after he was identified as a talent at 13. Barely out of primary school, he was suddenly front and back page news - The next big thing.

Haslett never played first grade. At the age of 18, when his deal with the Eels came to an end, he was cut loose. Now in his mid-20s, he plays rugby league in the country and works for a pool maintenance company.

His story resonates this week following revelations the Brisbane Broncos had recruited 13-year-old Joel Hagan, a teenager coveted by rival NRL clubs, the AFL and rugby union. Haslett isn't bitter. In fact, he was more than willing to share his experiences and pass on advice when contacted by The Weekend Australian this week.

"I'm not filthy on any situation," Haslett said.

"I know I had my opportunities and it didn't pan out. I had some good times, met some great mates.

"I can name-drop a lot of people, which I always do. My 15 minutes is still slowly rolling out."

Haslett declined to critique the pursuit of children as young as 13, but his tale is a cautionary one, of clubs and the players they target.

From the moment he was identified by then-Parramatta recruitment guru Noel Cleal, pressure followed.

"The actual signing created a small amount of pressure back home," Haslett said.

"I got targeted a bit. I noticed that. In the short-term I think that made me a better footballer. It did pick me up a level, to a degree.

"I got a fair bit from a couple of teams that were better than us. All I did was trying to keep playing as well as I could.

"Making the representative teams was the harder part. I missed out on selection for NSW under-15s twice and I think at that stage Crusher (Cleal) was looking at me thinking what have I done.

"Then I went and played first-grade in the Group Nine competition and scored 12 tries in seven games. I just peaked at a different time to everyone else." The real troubles began when Haslett moved to Sydney. At 15, he enrolled in Parramatta Marist Brothers and lived in accommodation organised by the club. His room-mate at the time was NSW and Australia centre Jamie Lyon.

"It's a bit disappointing because I know myself I didn't really work hard enough and I partied a lot," Haslett said.

"But that's the situation I was allowed to be in. I was 16 and basically unsupervised in the city. I wouldn't have been allowed to go out when I was at home.

"If I had worked a bit harder and listened to a bit more advice, I might have gone in a different direction. These things happen."

Noelene, who has advised other mothers in recent years on the perils of allowing their children to sign with NRL clubs at a young age, said: "He was 15, turning 16. I had to let him go up to Sydney. He was led astray a bit. He just didn't have the motherly care.

"You miss too much of your family life. Barney and I regret those two years terribly. Parramatta looked after him and did all the right things, but it's not the same as having your family."

When he left Parramatta, Haslett played in the Jim Beam Cup. Next year he will captain-coach in the bush. Asked his thoughts on clubs recruiting children as young as 13, Haslett refused to be critical.

"I think these days the signing doesn't matter much any more - the age," he said. "I think it's making the decision on when they leave home and go to play for the team. Getting the coaching from (then coach) Brian Smith and his staff was invaluable. I lived with Jamie Lyon when I first moved up there. I was just turning 16 and he was turning 17. There wasn't that much age difference but he had a good head on his shoulders.

"He was a freak of nature. A lot of it depends on the kid and getting the timing exactly right, especially if they're moving from smaller towns to the big smoke."

Asked whether it would have been better for him to finish his schooling at home, Haslett admitted: "I think that would have been better, but I went to a good school at Parramatta Marist Brothers. We had every opportunity. I was a little bit too young mentally. That is the hard part. You definitely lose out on that family situation. I know a few of us had to meet guys from the club and talk things through - various issues that you would normally have your family there to do."

Like his mother, Haslett has become a sounding board for other parents. Recently he was contacted by a mother whose 12-year-old son had been targeted by an NRL side.

"She Googled 'youngest player signed' and my name came up," he said. "She looked me up on Facebook and I was right there. I outlined the positives and negatives. I had a couple of emails with her and had a talk about that.

"She thanked me and that was pretty much it. It's good to think that I can put my two-bob in and try to give advice to help somebody else out along the line."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...8d52642fb?sv=5ef662dc59adb43b368dfa27f226f1c7

He seems pretty chill about it

The article was written in 2009

I wonder what happened to Joel Hagan the 13 yo the broncos signed back then

Interesting article. Thanks