What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't believe Giants drew more than South's v dogs ..

In dogs backyard

I cant believe that less than 15k turned up for sydneys two biggest NRL clubs on a reasonable weather Saturday night. Looks the all the extra money thrown at clubs hasn't been put to good use engaging fans yet?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
I cant believe that less than 15k turned up for sydneys two biggest NRL clubs on a reasonable weather Saturday night. Looks the all the extra money thrown at clubs hasn't been put to good use engaging fans yet?

That is the real question here. The fact that a new AFL franchise is anywhere near (however much the fudging is) two big Sydney NRL clubs is not a great look at all. Was there road works? Bucketing rain? Hot dog prices too high? Surely these are the games the NRL should be banking on big attendance Sydney wise.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Saturday night?

It was 3pm.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Shows you have little idea about Saturday early arvo, kids' sports and shopping .
Sunday completely different.

Kids sport is understandable but shopping? You're saying people in Sydney prefer going shopping than go watch their team play? :rolleyes: If so that's a terrible indictment on the NRLs ability to engage with fans.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Would love to see Tigers and Rabbits fans turn out in force and get well over 30K on Saturday. No rain forecast and $40 family tickets.

taipan

Referee
Kids sport is understandable but shopping? You're saying people in Sydney prefer going shopping than go watch their team play? :rolleyes: If so that's a terrible indictment on the NRLs ability to engage with fans.

I'm saying there are a hell of a lot of families, who shop Saturday early arvo,that's all.
5.30pm games should be the start of Saturdays.Sundays any time in the afternoon or early evening.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
I'm saying there are a hell of a lot of families, who shop Saturday early arvo,that's all.
5.30pm games should be the start of Saturdays.Sundays any time in the afternoon or early evening.

Yeah that's a bit of a soft excuse. With late night trading and Sundays available for shopping, an option to see your team on a Saturday afternoon after kids sport commitments are over should be a very attractive proposition for families if it's done right. Expecting good crowds only on Sunday afternoons is an acceptance of the current poor culture of sport attendance in Sydney,

carcharias

Immortal
Go to woolies on a Saturday arvo after kids sport
It’s f**king bedlam.

taipan

Referee
Yeah that's a bit of a soft excuse. With late night trading and Sundays available for shopping, an option to see your team on a Saturday afternoon after kids sport commitments are over should be a very attractive proposition for families if it's done right. Expecting good crowds only on Sunday afternoons is an acceptance of the current poor culture of sport attendance in Sydney,

It might be soft, but them's the realities.People in a lot of instances like to get shopping out of the way, to keep Saturday night and Sunday free.
Saturday afternoons used to get big crowds in the distant past, but shops and banks closed by midday, and Sydney's traffic situation was a dream compared to the sh*t we have now.I used to attend Saturday match of the day at the SCG.
And having a crap of a stadium in Homebush doesn't help the situation.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
It might be soft, but them's the realities.People in a lot of instances like to get shopping out of the way, to keep Saturday night and Sunday free.
Saturday afternoons used to get big crowds in the distant past, but shops and banks closed by midday, and Sydney's traffic situation was a dream compared to the sh*t we have now.I used to attend Saturday match of the day at the SCG.
And having a crap of a stadium in Homebush doesn't help the situation.

Keep free for what? If NRL was an attractive option then it would be one of the main items to look forward to and planned for the weekend. Clearly everyone looks more forward to a trip to the shops than watch Rugby League, that surely does not sound right.

I'm in a different bubble down here but going to a live sports match is something you planned other things around not went to if it fit in with everything else, including a shopping trip. NRL has to get their matches to front of mind more, that is obvious.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Even worse!
NRL ditched Saturday 3pm as a timeslot a long time back because it drew relatively poor crowds and viewership due to the fact it clashed with people's sporting commitments. It's not 'even worse', it's par for the course.

Latest posts