What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

mave

Coach
News Flash... Nathan Cleary is not that great.

He's a solid first grade half back. Not worth sacking a coach and paying 7 figures in damages to another club over though.

Panthers have probably paid over a mill to get rid of Griffin. If they pinch Ivan from the Tigers then the Tigers will want a mill in damages. Plus you probably have to pay Ivan and Nathan a mill each per season. Basically $4 million dollars for Ivan and Nathan in year one.

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a half.

I sincerely hope DCE does not read this post.

chrisD

Coach
News Flash... Nathan Cleary is not that great.

He's a solid first grade half back. Not worth sacking a coach and paying 7 figures in damages to another club over though.

Panthers have probably paid over a mill to get rid of Griffin. If they pinch Ivan from the Tigers then the Tigers will want a mill in damages. Plus you probably have to pay Ivan and Nathan a mill each per season. Basically $4 million dollars for Ivan and Nathan in year one.

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a half and a coach, when neither have actually won anything.
Is it your cash?

taipan

Referee
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Gould and Griffin are both to blame and the truth lies somewhere between what both of them have been saying.

That's a fair comment.Everybody involved in a drama will paint their version of what happened,with a bit of sugar coating, to protect one's a*se.
What I can't fathom out, if Griffin was such an airhead of a coach (apparently well known by Bronco's people,) why the hell didn't the Panther's hierarchy twig at the time,and say he's the one that John West rejects.

OldPanther

Coach
Ha... this article posted by someone else above

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/08/09...red-to-wait-for-cleary--brian-fletcher_090818
"Everybody is of the understanding that the board, when Ivan is off contract, they would like him to be the coach at Panthers," Fletcher told News Corp Australia.

someone has got to tell these guys that he was already the coach at the panthers, and got sacked.

He has good friends on the board. It would be clouding people's judgement.

Nope, thus why how much we pay out Griffin and the Tigers in order to improve our club doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why does it bother you?

Making a comment on something in a forum and being bothered by it are not the same things. If anything, I'm the complete opposite of bothered. I enjoy when teams that aren't my own, do stupid things.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Griffin prefers Breakers.

Would not pick the Oak machine, kept picking Peachey.

Refuses point blank to recognise day light saying.

Once ate Gould's pork chop and beans.

Very much this.

Two stubborn old fools who can't admit to being wrong going head to head over who is the least pigheaded and most liked.

Gould is full of shit and Griffin made some outrageous claims when interviewed the other night.

The highlight for me so far was Gus on the footy show last night saying that Griffin made himself look foolish in his interview because he was surrounded by people with an axe to grind against Gus.

Gus says this with a straight face while being interviewed by one of his work colleagues and sitting next to two of his best mates. Then he wheels out Ben Hannant, looking very much like Gary Busey and gets him to go through a bunch of crap that he'd obviously pre-rehearsed (and not very well) to support Gus's argument.

It's been very entertaining so far. Hopefully Griffin is on NRL360 again next week for round two.

Fact is, they are both old and shit. Both are overdue for retirement.
Siebold > Broncos

That's hardly happening at all. Nathan isn't saying he's going to walk out of his contract. Way to jump to conclusions.

The situation for Penrith is that they want to keep Nathan before he can negotiate with other clubs in November. Nathan wants to play under his dad. Ergo, the club that has Ivan Cleary, will have Nathan Cleary. Penrith want to be that club.

If the Tigers wanted Nathan, I see no reason why they can't say to Ivan that they will make a play for him when they can talk to him in November.

The Tigers hold all the cards here.
You missed my point. Ivan should wait for his contract to finish. So should Nathan. You know grown up stuff.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Because the NRL's rules applying to player contracts are different to those applying to club officials. The NRL requires a clearance from a player's former club to register them with a new one. This applies pretty much in all team sports at all levels. Club officials are aligned with business in general. It is not illegal to headhunt someone under contract, it happens in business every day, but if it is a breach of contract compensation or other measures might be imposed by courts and in most cases negotiation between the parties would take place to reach an amicable agreement.

You can't force someone to continue to work for you, even if they are under contract. THAT is illegal.

I am well aware of the rules, my point is the inconsistency in the ability to approach a contracted coach and offer them a contract but not a player. Let's not pretend a coach is just a 'club official', that's laughable and doesn't cut the mustard. A 'club official', would be like a trainer, a physio, a development officer. These roles are generally salaried, rather than contracted, hence the ability of these changing clubs being different and with much less difficulty

The reality is that coaches should be subjected to the same rules as player given that they play such an integral role to the onfield performances and development of the club. It is reprehensible but not surprising that the NRL management have allowed this loophole, given their total ineptitude. This is on the NRL, not the Panthers as they are just working within the parameters of the rules.

TheFrog

Coach
Let's not pretend a coach is just a 'club official', that's laughable and doesn't cut the mustard.
That is the way the governing body looks at it, rightly or wrongly. Nonetheless, it is a breach of contract law to coerce someone to break a contract. If the Tigers can demonstrate that this has happened they may be entitles to some form of redress.

Of course, in business this happens all the time and mostly the parties just negotiate a settlement. This is more in line with the position with NRL coaches.

OldPanther

Coach
That is the way the governing body looks at it, rightly or wrongly. Nonetheless, it is a breach of contract law to coerce someone to break a contract. If the Tigers can demonstrate that this has happened they may be entitles to some form of redress.

Of course, in business this happens all the time and mostly the parties just negotiate a settlement. This is more in line with the position with NRL coaches.

It could be easily prevented in future by putting the same rules in place that players have.

Das Hassler

Bench
The thing i'm MOST looking forward to one more time ( or will we hear it?) is Mr warm and fuzzy man of the people Gould repeat multiple times ( as he must like hearing himself say it)...."you know rabbs...tell me..what's better than a sunny sunday afternoon at Leichardt Oval?...the hill packed with mums ..dads and kids. ..that's what rugby league is all about...isn't it rabbs!? " He and his ilk line their pockets by cultivating that sentiment which happens to be true for the battlers who their battling club means everything to while he'll happily scheme to ruin it for them for his own self interest ...TOTAL BS artist!

Last edited:

Latest posts